1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grumblings and Smiles in Rocketville

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Mar 27, 2001.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thing is, Issel might get ****-canned before LaFrentz, so Raef might actually stay. But if they're after him, as Clutch once mentioned, that would make sense. Outside-shooting big man who can also board and block.

------------------

2. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

The possibility of getting a new small forward is interesting. Say Oeilpere, would u know if the Rockets plan on addressing the SF through the draft or by getting him from another team?

We are all in agreement that Walt is not the solution at small forward b/c of his inconsistency and his inabilities on defense and Shandon is not in any better position b/c of his lack of height and inconsistent offense.

The names Battier and Morris have been thrown around a bit on this site. Oeilpere, can u say who the Rocks at the moment are interested in from the college ranks?

If the Rockets plan on going through a team to get their SF, can u name who might be a possibility. It's pretty obvious that with Walt, Bullard and Langhi on our team, Rudy wants spacing, so our SF has to be able to stroke consistently from the perimeter. Some players that suit that and can go inside and would contribute in other areas are James Posey, the aforementioned Van Horn, Rashard Lewis (Rudy probably wishes he could take this one back), and Croshere. Do u know what kind of interest we have expressed in these players and is there any other SF possibilities out there that would suit this team?

I'll hang up and listen...

------------------

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

What about the Lynch mob?????

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If we landed Shareef, would it be for the small or power position? He's kinda slow to guard many 3s and not incredibly bulky to guard many 4s. Of course, defense isn't his strong suit anyway.

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

This most likely means that Mo won't wanna play here with Cwebb, so entertaining the idea of Mo + Webber is useless.

1.) Mo wants a premiere center... obviously he prolly doesnt see himself as that center.

2.) If Mo doesn't wanna play with Baker, he won't wanna play with Webber.

Raef Lafrentz would be a great addition to this team. We would get that interior defense that we're looking for, and plus his offensive game fits in perfectly with ours. I hope that Denver decides to keep Issel around instead of LaFrentz, but either way, LaFrentz will prolly bolt. Denver is a subpar team, and if we get rid of Cato, then Houston will prolly look really good to LaFrentz.

And is there anythin at all on Langford? Doesn't his contract run out this year?

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Alaska, I believe the Rockets have an option for next year on Dan.

------------------

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

You know, I admit that LaFrentz looks good, and his offensive game would fit really well within the Rockets system, but I'm beginning to question whether we should get him if Denver is willing to let him go. Offensively, I think he'd be great for the Rocks. And I think he would be able to provide some much needed rebounding and shot-blocking, but it seems that the Nuggets don't like him because they feel he is inconsistent and not the defensive presence in the middle they need. I invite Nugzfan and other Nuggets fans to comment. Personally, if the Nuggets don't feel he gets the job done in the middle, why should we think he'd get the job done here? I agree that he's an improvement over what we have (not including Hakeem), but I'm beginning to question whether LaFrentz is really what we need either. I'd still do Cato/LaFrentz straight up, but I don't know about a Mo T/LaFrentz frontcourt. Seems to me like we'd still be soft in the middle.

------------------

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Jackson
    Webber
    Battier
    Mobley
    Francis

I think that roster can win the Midwest.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Relativist,

yeah, I'd like to know what's up with LaFrentz, too. Everytime that I've seen him, he struck me as a smooth defender who efficiently covers ground much like Dream is known to do.

Is he hit or miss like Kandi? I mean when you think about, he and Kandi are the best performing centers drafted since Duncan. And if you don't consider Duncan a center, you have to go back to Ilgauskas the year before Duncan. And if you consider Ilgauskas may never play again....

...now I'm getting depressed about our center position.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What are the odds that there's a small forward out there for the Rockets that can come in and play ahead of Dan the Man Langhi? SEC Player of the Year, 6'11", great shooter, good leaper, active on the boards, smart--and the most important--already a year under his belt learning the Rockets' system. Also he's already under contract. Seems to have an affinity for the airball, but he'll get over that I'm sure. With Shandon, Langhi, and Rudy's love for the 3-guard offense, it's hard to imagine the Rockets drafting an SF. Is there another SEC player of the year SF in this draft?

11. Live

Live Member

The problem with LaFrentz is Issel, plain and simple. He strikes me as one of those coaches who, if he doesn't like you, he'll pile on you. Remember how he called Battie "El Busto" (well, bad example). I'm just not reading from other teams this perception of LaFrentz as being anything other than a solid big man.

I could be wrong.

(I know I'm going to regret writing this) [​IMG]

We could use a post from NugzFan & Co. to clarify.

------------------

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

JayZ -- would this player be a) available when the Rockets pick, and b) good enough to come in and start ahead of Shandon on a team trying to make the playoffs. If not, what would be the point in taking another SF to backup Shandon and Walt when you already have a year invested in Langhi and he's under contract. If this were '92, would Robert Horry be good enough to come in and start over Shandon? Would you even take him when you've already got the SF covered and holes in the 4/5 positions? Another question--if Langhi started every game in his rookie season with say Clyde, Hakeem, and Drexler, could he have put up similar or better stats than Maloney and Mobley did while doing the same?

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I didnt say I wouldnt rather go ahead an pick up a 5. If Im Rudy, Im looking for a center, if there is a serious one out there hes willing to take. I think Horry would start over Shandon though. Remember back then Robert was the "second-coming" of Scottie Pippen. At the very least he was expected to be good, and honestly, for a while, he wasnt too bad at all. I mean, Shandon has been playing like crap lately. As far as the 4 goes, I think we either resign Mo or sign Webber. Nobody we would draft could even come close to their talent just yet. BUT, if there are no extremely talented Centers on the board, and there is still a great SF up there, the definitely go ahead and take the SF. I mean, right now Walt is better than Langhi. What signs have there been that we can expect this to change next year? Langhi has had the opporutnity to play with Francis, Mobley, and aging Dream, and good player in Mo, and hasnt made a big mark yet. Now, if he played with Clyde, Hakeem, and Drexler [​IMG], that would be amazing, because it would mean there were two Drexlers on that team [​IMG], but I really dont see his stats being any different. Maloney is one thing because of the pass it in, hit the open outside shot offense we were running. But with players like Mobley and Cassel, etc,etc you could tell immediately that this was going to at least be a player you get in youre rotation. Dan hasnt shown that yet, while still playing with great players in a more uptempo style (which should fit his game, where Mobley did what he did in a style not fitting his game at all and still succeeded).

------------------

14. floyd

floyd Member

Tayshawn Prince

------------------

15. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Thanks for all the accolades and return posts. I feel guilty not getting back sooner, but my life is hectic these days.

Couple of things:

Moe: On Dream I have no idea whatsoever. I had a pretty reliable person (business associate of Dream and Dream's brother) say he was very likely not going to return this season at all and hang it up. And look what happened, he came back, left for career ending maladie, back again … who knows. My fervent wish is he retires at the end of the season. If not, then he returns for the tour only as a second tier player/bigman practice coach signing for a $2.6Million exception.

Lil Francis: Have no idea why Webber is not on list. My best guess is he will not be a Rocket next year for any number of reasons. I'll say this again … Cdub has us below the third or fourth spot on a very long list of anxious teams.

Relativist: If any premiere or semi premiere three with some flash and offensive whampa showed up, it would put Shandon's starting position in serious jeopardy. Personally, except for the odd night like Utah's spanking, Shandon should be used primarily as a defensive stopper.Usually that means coming off the bench.

gr8-1: That pretty much says it all.LaFrentz is an arrogant little SOB at times and that irks the hell out of coach/GM/Operations man Issel.

Note on Langhi: Last I heard, and this was from both CD and RT, Dan Langhi has a spot reserved for next year. They will keep his roster spot unless it is deal breaker to unload him, and I can't see that happening. If you ever saw this guy for any length of time, he has a confident shot from almost anywhere, rangy defense (working on his lateral moves now) when he wants to, and is so laid back and nonplussed that he's going to be mistaken for a.corpse some night and get carted to the morgue. That being said, he is very quick for a seven footer. More on this at the end.

Rocketteen: Personally I think guys like Battier are at the top of the heap for the Rockets. And, unfortunately for a lot of teams, several of whom will be in front of us at the draft.

Alaskasnowman: Right it is very highly unlikely that we would ever be fortunate enough to roster both MoTay and Cdub. My feeling is(at this point, anyway) we are so far from the front of the pack in landing him, it is axiomatic ….. As far as MoTay goes, we are first up. Let me say that I don't think it is going to take a kings ransom to sign Maurice either. As far as La Frentz goes Iman Issel will likely go back to the front offuice next season, and when that happens look for some wholesale changes on the team. So, I guess my point is that regardless of what happens with I-Man, whether he stays as coach or goes to operations, LaFrentz is gone.

Rockets Draft Philosophy: The type of guy CD and RT love ….. long and rangy in body build (think a clone between David Robinson & Lamar Odom), a work horse and self-driver (like a clone between Mario Ellie & Steve Francis), a blend of game intensity and a deep resolute knowledge of the game ( kinda like Rasheed Wallace meets Joe Dumars). The Rockets will solidify their backcourt and build forwards that meet the first criteria(long and rangy) with a good (coachable) knowledge base. That is why I think Battier and a couple others will be at the top of the shopping list. They will draft for needs first and that means tall, big men in any of the 3-4-5 position. I doubt any starter quality big(pivot)men will be available when our ball bounces, but watch them cast for a 6'11 or better 3-4 swing type . There will be at least six of those in the top twenty-five spots of a fairly decent draft.

Cheers, guys.

------------------

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Langhi is a 7'er ?

17. Band Geek Mobster

They got him at 6'11 on ESPN and CBS.

I had no clue he was that tall. I guess sitting on the bench all season does make him look shorter.

------------------
    If the 3 pointer was banned by the nba,
    No amount of money would make him stay.
    Air Bullard,
    Air Buuuuuulllll, Air Buuuullll
    Can't stop Bull.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Langhi's going nowhere. His type of potential and youth, and he's going to cost <$500,000. That's a no brainer decision IMO.

pere-As far as centers go in the draft, will they draft someone who will make an impact immediately (Haywood/Gadzuric/Jones/Johnson) or would they risk it on a guy who probably won't impact as quickly, but could be better (Ming, Curry, Woods, Chandler, Diop)

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Thanks for the reply and the helpful info Oeilpere, but some more questions popped up that I hope u can answer.

U did say that the Rockets will be drafting for needs. The best case scenario would be getting Battier but not just b/c of his ability but b/c of his experience factor. In the event that we can't land Battier, and if there are no comparable upperclassmen available for our needs, would the Rockets front office consider drafting an underclassman and expect him to contribute immediately?

Also, what do the Rockets think of Kenny Thomas? If they want long rangy guys, Kenny doesn't fit in that mold, would they consider trading him to get more of that mold of player u mentioned? Are they happy w/ his work ethic and do they see him willing to continue his backup role w/ the team, or will he want to leave or break the bank even though he is just a role player?

Walt and Carlos' contracts end after next season. What other teams out there would most likely give up players for expiring contracts?

And lastly, I like LaFrentz a lot. I think he can really help us out offensively in spreading the floor b/c of his ability to shoot and his defensive ability by not playing soft and atually attempting to rebound and block shots (coCATOugh). Do his problems w/ Issel seem to be possible problems w/ Rudy and do u know if there is any love coming from his camp about Houston?

It's very exciting to actually have someone close to my favorite team telling things that I would only dream about knowing. You are a real asset to this web site and I appreciate any help you can provide.

------------------

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Let him go and let T-Morris take his place.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.