1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grumblings and Smiles in Rocketville

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Mar 27, 2001.

1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Some Grumblings and Smiles to Mull Over

Mo Taylor while in LA last week, stated to some friends that he wants to stay in Houston after this year but would not even consider it unless they got a premiere center. He is not happy with Cato's contributions and had some choice words about him.

Mooch has been told they have no plans to replace him and they want him to stay. He has been approached about what his demands may be when his contract expires. A pretty good source said: "we'll be able to meet (Mooch's salary expecations), without a problem".

Shandon (and his agent) have not spoken in earnest with CD, et al, about his contract, plans, etc... in a long while. But the same source as Moochie's tidbit says they want to keep the "back four", and Shandon will get his due and "it will be a priority" when the time comes.

Carlos may be kept on board despite being included in several speculative deal offers over the season. His spark in the lockeroom and his effective minutes in key game situations has continued to make him "very valuable" to the team according to RT. An excellent source stated Rudy really likes the guy in these key game matchups. He is also "one of the better guys at team practice because he will play (hard) almost any position" and gives everyone a "real test". He said RT also thought most people don't know "how valuable he is to a team like ours".

No Surprise Here Department: Actually the above statements are really no surprise to a lot of Rocket's fans, but here's a couple more to chew on anyway.

1. The Wizard's injury(s) this season and his lack of consistent offense & defense at a position that requires a high degree of both to compete in the West, makes him the second most likely guy to be traded in the off season.

2. Word is (and logic confirms) the Rockets will go after a strong pivot man with good inside presence before they shop for anything else. But if you accept the Wizbang's proposed fate, you'd have to think that second on that list would be a small forward with some consistent production.

3. Some of the names that keep creeping up in conversation continue to include Shareef. I know, I know, but he keeps coming up and at high management levels. Too much to hope for, right?

Other names that get bandied around on Rocket management "wish lists" include:

Marc Jackson(GS) (This guy can play ball, and he has more up than a lot of other big dollar 6'10" to 7 footers" out there), Keith Van Horn for SF(although I don't know how we could swing a deal with the CBA written the way it is), Dale Davis (word is we were close at one time this season to nabbing him in a three player deal, apparently the Rockets remain interested), LaFrentz (he was included in a trade this season and the Rockets tried to get themselves invited into the deal specifically to get him. The trade never went through but the Rockets remain high on him. Same source says they understand he will be gone from Denver this summer no matter what happens, so there is some hope here) and Charles Oakley ( Now that would be fun!).

------------------
    Cheers from this side.

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited March 27, 2001).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Glad to see you back pops [​IMG]

Very glad to here they will make Shandon a top priority this offseason. Most people on this board think that if you don't score points you aren't contributing. Wrong.

While Oakley would be nice, I would rather we make a pitch for Antonio Davis. Vince has stated he will announce his future plans this offseason (re-sign with Toronto or become a free agent) So Antonio might be asking for a trade.

Also, Antwan Jamison's name will probably be mentioned quite frequently this offseason in trade rumors. He would look good in a Rocket uniform (if we can teach him to pass)

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Good to see another of your posts, Pop. Thought you had disappeared for good!

I would love to have any of those names you mentioned for the Rockets, esp. if Webber falls through. In particular, LaFrentz, Davis, and Jackson would make nice additions to the frontcourt (though only Davis would do much to improve the interior defense).

I have a hard time seeing us keeping both Shandon and Mo, though I wouldn't mind that result. And I'm glad to see Mo speak out about Cato's problems - but shouldn't he worry about his own production (esp. rebounding) first?

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

4. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Mickey Robert Finnster:

I have sworn-off even mentioning AJ's name. I had a some fairly decent "ins" on a trade between the Rockets and GS that included AJ earlier this season. I got lambasted every which way for even suggesting such a thing. That there was "no possible way" we could even walk in the same zip code as someone as talented as him.

So I'll shut up.

Truth be known, personally I think we were a lot closer to getting him ealrier this season than we are right now.

BobFinn: He weebles and he wobbles but he don't fall down! [​IMG]

ET:

I don't know if talking with some friends at a private gathering would be considered "speaking out". He's usually a pretty quiet guy in the lockeroom. But, as far as the rebs go ... you have to remember that RT has told MoTay in private and has gone on record with the media several times that he is not concerned with Taylor's reb production. He wants Mo Taylor to be his inside offensive threat and high roll jumper.
    Too late to change roles now, I'm afraid.

Cheers,Sammy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited March 27, 2001).]

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

All info MUCH appreciated. Thanks, as always.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

6. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

WOOOHOO Oily's back! More stuff to think about when I'm day dreamin in class!

------------------
    Note: It was my cowhead. I started the cowhead craze, and my cowhead inspired Mooch to step up and bring us a victory. Thank you for your time. :D

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strong to the finish....

Good info pere.

Does Mo consider himself a premiere center in the name of Chris Webber?

Raef Lafrentz, I like it. I'm not sure Oakley would serve much purpose, unless we wanted an enforcer as a backup (would he like that role?)

Last thing, since Mutumbo and Mo are both Falk people, any possibility of a "premiere center" being Mutumbo. Of course, something would have to go wrong in Philly. Or would Ewing like to play with Hakeem?

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NIKE,

Webber said he refuses to play center. "I've done that before and will not do it again."

oeilpere,

thx. It is tidbits of information like this that help shed light on offensive system the coaches have chosen to build the future around.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 27, 2001).]

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

heypee-I know that, but would Mo play center? 6'9'' 260 is not all that undersized anymore. Or, with an offseason of work, could Mo slim down and play SF a la Jamison?

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited March 27, 2001).]

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

If Webber came here,Mo is gone. No ifs,ands, or buts about it. The rockets wouldn't have the money for Mo if that happened anyway.

------------------

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

OP, don't be such a stranger. Thanks for the info. In the lastest article about Hakeem, he says he wants to play next year and maybe beyond. Do you think the Rockets will try to keep Hakeem 2 more seasons?

I personally think if Hakeem did stay next year and were healthy, Rocks could be as much a contender as most anyone else, even without getting Webber. If they could pick up a good FA like Jackson and one or two good rookie prospects to develop, it would really be much better than having to immediately fill the big hole at center if Hakeem does not come back.

------------------

12. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

YES!!! Keep Los dog. I know he's skinny but he's a got a lot of energy (and uses it) and he is also very agile and coordinated for a big guy.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why isn't Webber on that list? [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

14. Gascon

Gascon Member

C: Jackson
    PF: Webber
    SF: Shandon
    SG: Cuttino
    PG: Franchise

or

C: Jackson
    PF: Mo
    SF: SAR
    SG: Cuttino
    PG: Franchise

Either of those look good to me. I actually might like the second one better...with Shandon still in the fold, that is.

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

15. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

A friend of mine(Johnny Walker) at a party the other night told me that Mo is incredibly ashamed of his inability to rebound and that he's looking to hide behind a good to above average Center... i.e. Theo Ratliff or Ben Wallace (though he's very happy with Rudy and Jackie's fried chicken). If the Rockets can come in w/ an above average rebounder or serious cash, though, he'll stay.

------------------
    (===)

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't the Rockets know Shandon doesn't practice?

17. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Great post, man, thanks. I'd take any of the above save Van Horn.

I spend my time wondering what we can do to get some other team to take Cato off our hands. It's to the point now where I wouldn't even care if he went to another team and did really well there; I just don't see him being the 5 the Rockets need.

------------------

18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Thanks Oeilpere,
    Always great to hear your nuggets of info. I can see Rudy and CD intending to stick by Shandon and ensure he gets nicely compensated for his time here, but what about his status as a starter? It doesn't seem like Cuttino will go back to the bench. Shandon should split his time between the 3 and the 2. The question for me is, won't Shandon have to go back to the bench eventually if the Rockets find a good 3?

I hope the Rockets can keep Hakeem. Everyone knows how easy it is to acquire a good center these days, not even a "premiere" one.

Why is Denver ready to lose LaFrentz? Are the reasons Denver's willing to let him go issues that we should be concerned about?

Anything on Langhi and his future role on the team? Or is it just too early to tell?

Appreciate your posts, as always.

------------------

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

realivist, just a guess from me, but I think Issel and Raef have major personality issues.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nice try TheFreak...those quotes about Shandon were in the paper a week ago....

guards who can't dribble don't practice dribble.

learn to dribble TheFreak...and stop dribbling.