1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gruden's QB Camp with DeShaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, May 6, 2017.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Cont'd from post #20

Receiving rank in the nation
    Clemson..................rank...................................................................Pitt.............rank

Williams WR............11th...............................................................Weah WR......62nd
    Leggett TE...............104th................................................Scott Orndorff TE......186th
    Deon Cain WR.........109th................................................James Conner RB.....444th
    Artavis Scott WR......165th................................................................Ford WR....463rd
    Renfrow WR.............232nd.....................................................Henderson WR....466th
    RR McCloud WR.......251st in the nation

Accuracy is hard to judge by just stats.
    Per Sports-reference.com & NFL.com 2016/17
    Watson: 67.0 Pct......41 TD.........17 Int..........151.1 Rate....
    combine grade has been recently changed from 6.27 to 5.98 with 9 3/4 hands.

Peterman: 60.5 Pct......27 TD........7 Int............163.4 Rate....
    combine grade on NFL.com 5.80 with 9 7/8 hands. (Manziel had 9 7/8 inch hands per same site).

Bridgewater: had a combine grade of 6.15.

#21 Jatman20, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Here is a scouting report for a player per NFL.com.
    Strengths: Terrific competitor. Extremely driven to succeed. Well-prepared & confident in his approach. Operated
    a progression-read offense where he is asked to scan the whole field & help steer protections. Footwork is very
    clean & in rhythm--throws on balance with sound mechanics, a fluid delivery & smooth stroke. Very good timing,
    touch & anticipation throws receivers open. Is patient working through his reads & will step up in the pocket.
    Sells play-action hard & takes what the defense gives him. Poised in the face of the blitz & often anticipates it
    coming. Is very mentally & physically tough, played through a broken left wrist with a sprained ankle in what
    was essentially the 2012 Big East Championship game, coming off the bench to captain the Cardinals to a
    come-from-behind victory. Is a student of the game with a very good understanding of football concepts.
    Plays like a coach on the field, knows the responsibilities of everyone on the field & can get teammates
    lined up correctly. Makes few mental errors. Consistently moves the chains & comes through in the clutch.
    Is given a lot of autonomy to make pre-snap reads & adjustments at the line of scrimmage & understands
    how to exploit defenses. Meticulous in his preparation. Identifies with the game & really works at his craft.
    Smart, determined & focused. Showed gradual improvement every season. Is only 21 years old--very
    mature for his age & can see the big picture. Football is extremely important to him. Highly respected,
    unselfish team leader. Rises to the occasion on big stages.---Teddy Bridgewater

In watching Watson....Bridgewater is what I saw. Minus the interceptions and getting under center.
    I'm not against anybody for their race. I'm more against "college Spread offenses" or mostly "read-option"
    QB's going from college to the NFL. I feel I'm reading Watson scouting report instead of Teddy's.
    Like any QB put in the right situation.....they can succeed. Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott.
    I also believe Savage is finally in a good situation:
    Hopkins/Fuller & Braxton (both should be improved), L Miller (w/Foreman), Friedorowicz (shld be better),
    Brown/Su'a Filo/Martin/Allen (shld be better)/??? (Clark/Lamm/ (or FA pick up)
    reserves: Lamm/Mancz/Davenport(rookie),Fuller (rookie)

NFL rules protect the QB's from injuries. Put a skirt on them. As long as Savage throws the ball away sooner
    and Slides sooner than later.......Savage shld be ok. That defense will win most games like last year.
    Savage knows the system well.......if O'Brien needs to dumb down the system for Watson and succeed;
    it can also dumb down the offense for Savage and succeed. IMO.

If Watson excels this year. Put me first on the list of those who need to eat crow. I'm man enough
    to accept that. Again I'm not expecting much from Watson after seeing other college spread
    offense QB's struggle initially. After the first yr I might take my shots at him if he struggles.
    If Watson succeeds well I win also....because that means our Texans are doing well. Best of luck.

#22 Jatman20, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Watson was not asked to scan the whole field and he needs to work on his footwork

Nook likes this.
  4. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Watson didn't have Williams for nearly all of the 2015-16 season. He suffered a severe neck injury in game one. I doubt Clemson even sniffs one CFB playoff trip let alone back to back trips along with a title if Peterman is the QB.

primtim24 likes this.
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

It's a matter of perspective. Clemson had no answer for OJ Howard in 15/16 while Alabama had no answer for
    Renfrow in both championship games. I believe Watson has to run to set up his passing. I know you disagree.
    We will agree on disagreeing. If people think he is going to run in the NFL and be as successful as when
    in college......they might be a little disappointed. See RG3 hit by Gnata.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...seXTAhVqilQKHY_CAMMQvwUIGCgA&biw=1024&bih=704

You feel like you can imagine players with or without teammates. I feel I'm pretty good at superimposing
    a player from one team to another. Russell Wilson is a good example of that. People want to use the
    Russell Wilson stats for his full term as a college player. I throw out his years with North Carolina St.
    His last year while with Wisconsin he threw 4 interceptions. Quit different from his 14 and 11 interceptions
    the 2 prior years with NC St. Jameis Winston had 18 interceptions his last year in college, dropped to 15
    his rookie year which came back up to 18 this past season.

Throwing windows in the NFL get tighter than college, not grander. Peterman was intercepted 7 times; how
    many more would Deshaun Watson have than his 17 while with good players Clemson to not so good players
    at Pitt. One never knows until they are actually placed in the different situation. We will find out. I respect your
    opinion.....but we will agree to disagree, again. "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys."

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Everyone knows we couldn't take Peterman... Derek Carr syndrome.. we already had a Pitt QB.