1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Group of Republicans and Democrats form new political party to appeal to moderates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Jul 29, 2022.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/politics/andrew-yang-forward-party-whitman-jolly/index.html

group of former Republican and Democratic officials are forming a new political party called Forward, in an attempt to appeal to what they call the "moderate, common-sense majority."

"Political extremism is ripping our nation apart, and the two major parties have failed to remedy the crisis," David Jolly, Christine Todd Whitman and Andrew Yang wrote in a Washington Post op-ed published Wednesday. "Today's outdated parties have failed by catering to the fringes. As a result, most Americans feel they aren't represented."
    [​IMG]

Andrew Yang is 'breaking up' with the Democratic Party and is now an independent

Jolly is a former Republican congressman from Florida, Whitman a former Republican governor of New Jersey and Yang is a former Democratic presidential and New York mayoral candidate. The three will merge their political organizations into the new party, whose launch was first reported by Reuters.
    The group cites issues including guns, climate change and abortion as those that could benefit from a moderate approach. The new party will also advocate ranked-choice voting and open primaries, the end of gerrymandering, and nationwide protection for voting rights.

"Sixty-two percent of Americans now want a third party, a record high, because they can see that our leaders aren't getting it done," Yang told CNN's Brianna Keilar on "New Day" on Thursday in a joint appearance with Whitman. "And when you ask about the policy goals, the fact is the majority of Americans actually agree on really even divisive issues. The most divisive issues of the day like abortion or firearms -- there's actually a commonsense coalition position on these issues and just about every other issue under the sun."
    Forward is planning a national convention next summer and will soon seek ballot access to run candidates in 2024, according to the Post op-ed.

The party said in a news release that it would launch "a national building tour this fall to hear from voters and begin laying the groundwork for expanded state-by-state party registration and ballot access, relying on the combined nationwide network of the three organizations." It plans to gain legal recognition "in 15 states by the end of 2022, twice that number in 2023, and in almost all U.S. states by the end of 2024."
    While Forward won't be running its own candidates in this year's midterm elections, it will "support select candidates in November who stand up for our democracy, even if they come from outside the new party," according to the news release.
    Jolly, Whitman and Yang acknowledged the clear lack of success third parties have had in the United States previously, writing in their op-ed, "Most third parties in U.S. history failed to take off, either because they were ideologically too narrow or the population was uninterested." But they said that "voters are calling for a new party now more than ever," citing a Gallup poll from last year.

"Americans of all stripes -- Democrats, Republicans and independents -- are invited to be a part of the process, without abandoning their existing political affiliations, by joining us to discuss building an optimistic and inclusive home for the politically homeless majority," Jolly, Whitman and Yang wrote.
    Asked by Keilar on Thursday why they believe their effort to create a third party would work, Whitman said, "We're in a different time."
    "When you have 50% of the American people saying that they are registered independent ... people are sick and tired of what they're seeing in Washington and the fact that nothing major is getting done is frustrating them. We have big problems and we want to see them resolved," she said.
    A few independent candidates have earned national attention in their races this cycle. In Utah, Evan McMullin, who ran for president in 2016 as an anti-Trump conservative, is challenging GOP Sen. Mike Lee and has the backing of the state Democratic Party. In Missouri, John Wood, a former senior investigator for the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, is running as a "commonsense alternative" to the field of Republican and Democratic candidates for the state's open US Senate seat. And in Oregon, former state Sen. Betsy Johnson, who left the Democratic Party last year, is a top contender in the open governor's race.

T_Man

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

O's was it on a thread already??? If so I didn't see it...

T_Man

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

the rejects from both parties have come together to make zero dent in the political landscape

SamFisher and JuanValdez like this.
  5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Or just vote Libertarian. Why would you want the government stealing from you or telling you what to do?

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I appeal the human race

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because Libertarian thinking is child like.

They want a safe society, just don't want to pay for it.

DD

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good threads are hard to come by, this one is golden ;) it's all good

9. StupidMoniker

I don't care about a safe society. I will look after myself. I don't want to pay for you and I don't want you to pay for me (though we are both actually paying for other people). Any concerns I have I am happy to pay individually for, just like I pay for internet access and a cell phone plan and food and electricity.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See - child like.....

You can't take care of yourself when facing an army, or a gang, you can't take care of your house if it is on fire, you can't build roads, or bridges, or make it safe for grocery stores, or schools....

You can't just pay what you want and ignore the safety put forth by all the other costs....that is what I mean by child like, there is just no depth of thought into anything.

It is pure selfishness.....and frankly not very well thought out.

More: Internet access? Who pays for the infrastructure? Cell phone - who pays for the infrastructure, who pays for the regulation so cell signals aren't all stepping on each other? Who pays for the roads for the trucks to ride on to bring the food? Who pays for the building of the electrical grid.....

Libertarianism doesn't work - it may have worked in the 1850s, it falls completely apart in a modern society - it is a selfish child like thinking - just no depth....sounds good to a bunch of joe's at the coffee diner but they aren't considering all the stuff behind what they want....it is a selfish brand of ignorance.

DD

#10 DaDakota, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  11. StupidMoniker

Which is why I consistently support having a federal government that is limited to it's enumerated powers, which include national defense (army, navy, and militia).
    People protect themselves from gangs all the time.
    There are more volunteer fire departments than professional fire departments in the United States, and they protect about a third of the United States population. You don't need a government fire department.
    There are no private roads or bridges? Was I driving on what I thought were roads and bridges using the power of my imagination?
    Which schools are safer, those with private security, or those protected by public resources like the Uvalde or Parkland police departments?
    You can just pay for what you want and accept that you don't get what you don't pay for.
    I think it is more selfish to force other people to pay your way by ganging up with other people and saying if I don't pay your collective way you will lock me in prison.
    Largely companies like Verizon and Comcast, etc. through their subscriber base.
    Same.
    No one, it is to the benefit of each provider to use different signals to not interfere with each other.
    We already covered roads above. Businesses will build roads to allow customers to come to them. Homeowners will build roads for their neighborhoods, etc. The best roads in my city are in private gated communities.
    Electrical providers, the same way they do now. They can also choose to connect to each other or not.
    I think it works great. All of the best services I get, I pay for. All of the spending I get with the least return to me are my taxes.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Imma break from mocking the middle aged middle school kid who just read Atlas Shrugged at his public library, aka the droll rantings of an elderly welfare pensioner, to laugh at the futility of a bunch of middle way morons with their 3d party grift

Jamelle bouie had an excellent piece on this yesterday - the only actually successful 3d parties in US history aren't the middlers but the extremist single issue ones.