1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffin Time starts now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3, Dec 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

In my opinion , the time has now arrived for Eddie. Rockets now lose the Starting SF for a month or possible the whole year. Scratch him off the list because with him trying to get back again in shape, Rice wont produce **** this year. What a waste.

Eddie Griffin now gets the time to play more and learn the game of the nba. Lets face it , Houstons chances are looking very ugly for this year. By the time Francis comes back and gets into conditon, we will be so far back that Francis has to pull a great miracle streak going. With the talent houston has, I dont think they will get anywhere. Rockets should get involved in a big deal or just tank it. The core of players on the roster wont get them anywhere.

EDDIE GRIFFIN , ITS YOUR SHOW NOW.

2. treeman

treeman Member

Tank. Tank. Tank. Tank! Tank!! Tank!!! TANK! TANK!! TANK!!!

EG is not ready yet, and it's a little early to just give up on the rest of the season...

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Its too early to give up yet, but much more of this, and what else can you expect? And with the current situation(s), "much more of this" is all we can expect for a good while. Our starting 1, 3, 4 are out, and will be out for a long while, and our starting 2 is hobbling.

IMO, the best thing we can do right now is to give our rookies the chance to run the show. Let's let EG, TMo, and even Dan Langhi have some time, and a lot of it. Its the only way we can get a positive out of this situation.

4. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

First lets teach that young buck Eddie a thing or two about team concept. Like not shooting long range bombs just becuase he thinks the ball may not be passed to him for awhile. yeah Eddie I know, like that song goes 'its been awhile....since I touched the ball ooh hooo' but come on dude, think.

5. treeman

treeman Member

I don't think there's any question that EG, T Mo, and even Dan Langhi will get more minutes with Rice out (and that's probably a good thing in the long run), but that doesn't mean that we should hand them the keys for this season.

Unfortunately, I'd rather see Walt get more minutes than EG be our starter. He simply isn't ready yet.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you seriously think that any fault lies in Griffin in this situation? Do you watch the plays as they unfold? It is a high pick and roll which EG drifts off from on the double team. The ball handler will pass to him on a double team, and he has the open 3 point shot, so he shoots it. I guarantee you, if Rudy didn't want him taking that shot so often, it wouldn't be happening.

Rudy designs those plays to get Griffin open, because Griffin has proven that he can hit that shot. If you don't like this shot being taken, b**** at Rudy, but not at EG, because I can almost guarantee that EG is simply doing what he is told.

7. treeman

treeman Member

Well, that ain't workin', Lunatic. Eddie isn't making the open shots, along with the rest of the team. Rudy can't shoot the ball for him... In the games I have seen (about half of them) Eddie is missing open 3s - and baseline jumpers - just like everyone else on this team.

Not to say that he shouldn't get more minutes - I think he should - or that he won't be a star in the future. Just don't lay the blame on Rudy for his rookies missing shots. Eddie has gotten plenty of open ones, he's just missed them.

I know he's got range, but I also know KT has range. I'm more comfortable when both of them are around the paint at this point.

8. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Raven Im going to consider that specualtion unless you stole Rudys play book and hid it under your pillow. I know though, i hate Griffin standing on the outside too. But still, he doesn't have to take them shots so quick, he should wait and scope the defense out for a sec. Im going to go ahead and speculate too, Im starting to think that its Eddie fualt for not being agressive enough. Maybe he should become more assertive Rudy won't mind.

I'll tell you why I don't think rudy will mind.

One evening my father sat down with Rudy at Hofbrau and had drink with him. Right before Don Chaney was about to be firedbut nobody knew at that time. Anyways, he told me Rudy T. would be one of the greatest coaches ever if ever given the chance. He said Rudys mind was like a parachute, always open, always learning; he said he was a great listener. So rememberign this i find it hard to beleive that Rudy would reprimand Griffin for being more assertive in the post. As a matter of fact I bet Rudy would like the noodle of a kid to post up if he felt comfortable doing it.

9. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I was laying no blame, treeman. I like EG taking those shots. I was merely telling RocketBooster to blame Rudy just as much as EG for TAKING the shots, as they are running plays that Rudy designed.

10. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I don't need to steal Rudy's playbook. I can see the play being run, and I am quite certain that this is not a play that EG concocted, proposed, and convinced the Rockets coaching staff to allow the team to run while he is in the game just so he can launch some 3 point shots that no one else wants him to take. EG shoots enough of those 3's for me to be pretty certain that Rudy is endorsing him doing so. Call it speculation if you wish, but it is based on enough fact for me to consider it such (fact).

Whether or not Griffin shooting those 3's is really good or bad is a judgement call. He was hitting them earlier this season, and then he cooled off. Who's to say whether he is traditionally the EG from the early season games (hitting around 50% or better on 3's) or these games of late? I would hazard a guess and say that it is somewhere in between. That puts him right at about 40%, and 40% is good in my book. I know people want to see EG in the low post more, and I understand that. But frankly, I have not yet seen enough low post moves by EG for me to have reason to believe he could score much from that spot. Maybe Rudy thinks so too, and that is why EG doesn't post up much.

Perhaps, like you say, it is a lack of confidence or aggresiveness on his part. At any rate, I really do hope that he gets over it, because if he combines that good outside shot (I LOVE his quick release, by the way) with good inside post moves, he will be a very, very special player, as so many others have predicted.

11. treeman

treeman Member

Raven:

I think some of us are just waiting for EG's next/last growth spurt. We're waiting for him to grow 2-3 inches and gain 45lbs. To become our next C of course... :D

He blocks too much for a SF.

I want him to be our fast-running, hard-blocking, high-rebounding, long-shooting, slam-dunking-center-of-the future-to-replace-Hakeem.

That's not too much to ask for, is it?

12. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Considering the amount of crap Rockets fans have had to put up with so far this season, HELL NO it's not too much to ask for!

:D

13. EGRULES

EGRULES Member

Maybe eddie griffin isnt ready for the nba. but we cant say tha for sure, he's only played around 10 minutes a game. if we dont give him time in the game we wont know wut he can do. also about all that shooting he does, thats becausehe never has a chance to get in the groove of the game. now u kno thats true.

14. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Yeah, give Eddie Griffin more minutes. We need to see why the Rockets traded three picks for him.

Some said he was too young?

How old was Kobe Bryant when he joined the Lakers? How many minutes did the Lakers give Kobe during his rookie season?

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

please don't say "griffin time" ...it reminds me too much of Lima Time!!

if eddie ends up doing casa ole commercials i'll get really nervous!

16. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Griffen should be playing 48 minutes a night for the rest of the season, with Rudy T, Steve Francis, and Cuttino Mobely riding his ass the entire way. Playing small forward and big forward. Get him out there!!!! Yell at him a lot!!!!!

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Griffin...

18. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Im not saying let him play the entire game. But at least let him get the ball inside, give him time in the second half. Mix him up with different lineups instead of the same old bench mob lineup he is in with.

Did I mention I hate Kenny Thomas?

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why not? Kenny ran the VERY same plays as a rookie as Griffin is now. Do you not remember Kenny still making his moves to the hole?

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yes, Kenny ran the very same plays. Yes, I remember Kenny still making his moves to the hole. Now, what does this have to do with Griffin?

Rudy coaches these guys. Do you think that, if Rudy didn't want Griffin shooting 3's, Griffin would still shoot them? If so, then that is on Rudy too. He should have better control of his players than that.