1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings Astro's fans from England, UK.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jon the Stripe, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Mmmm Stiles and Switch. I used to live about 5 mins from there. I still have dreams about the $15 beef rib I got there one time (that's 1 rib). Looked like it came from a Brontosaurus.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm thinking of giving stickball a try.

Can someone point me to a basic book where I can learn the ABC of the game? I promise, I;ll support the Astros

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Since you're a Lupe's man, I'll do you a solid- (Lupe's best beef fajitas in town!)

Goode Company is eh. Gatlins (Oak Forest) is one of the better ones in town; Pinkertons as well. Corkscrew (Spring) is the best I've ever had - I haven't had Franklins yet though.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ball Four by Jim Bouton teaches you everything you need to know about baseball (and a lot of references to the 1969 Astros)

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. bobrek

I've eaten at Gatlin's a few times. Always good.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Let me know if you need help being an Astros fan! Like my Rockets fanhood, my Astros fanhood is GOAT. :)

Like Rockets road games, I travel for Astros road games too. I went to all 3 ALCS games in NYC. Too bad we took L's in all 3. :(

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dallas doesn't have a stickball team of it's own? With your Mavs sucking, it woulda been nice to have another team for you

8. Buck Turgidson

This.

Have you read "This Ain't Brain Surgery" by Dierker? Not as good, but it's a quality read.

9. bobrek

My friend bought me a copy and actually went over to Dierker's house and got him to autograph. Also, the Astros used to host a charity golf tournament. Our foursome got to play with Dierker. Good times. The next year we got to play with Carl Warwick. Unfortunately, I was quite possibly the only one at the entire tournament that knew who he was. He was the only former player to play that year.

Bouton has another enjoyable book called "I Managed Good, But Boy Did They Play Bad".

10. Buck Turgidson

I had drinks with Dierker at the Roll-N on San Felipe back in the day. He was a freaking hoot to bs with.

I did not know that...thanks!

11. Bob Barker 007

La BBQ and Stiles Switch were both great when I went. I really like Freedmen's as well. Micklethwait was terrible. The meat was cold, slimy, and had no flavor.

One of the best BBQ places is Killen's BBQ in Pearland, which is south of Houston.

12. Buck Turgidson

I had drinks with Dierker at the Roll
    Huh? What did you have at Micklethwaits? When was it cooked? My food was great the 1 time I went there, so I'm curious.

I've read so much about Killen's, and I need to make an excuse to head down that way, on my way to the beach I guess. Have you heard anything about his STQ restaurant?

13. Bob Barker 007

Normal stuff, like brisket, sausage, ribs. I went at lunch the time it was bad. The other time it was better but maybe a 7/10. It just doesn't compare to the other top barbecue restaurants. I have not had Killen's STQ.

14. Buck Turgidson

eta: "...drinks with Dierker at the Roll-N on San Felipe." Pretty sure it's closed now.

Barker, that's surprising. I had great sausage there the first and only time I was at Micklethwaits.