1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greetings Astro's fans from England, UK.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jon the Stripe, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jon the Stripe

Wow, thanks everyone some great advice and ideas there and i can tell you it's very much appreciated. I kinda heard you were a warm welcoming bunch and now i know for sure.

Reading the replies i guess my diet is out of the window when i visit!!!

By the way, yes, first ever Baseball game so its all brand new to me, started watching on TV start of last season. Believe it or not quickly chose Astro's as my favorite team, and George Springer as my favorite player. Literally couldn't believe the season you had but loved every minute. Bloody rules get some getting used to, but having watched Cricket for many years i think you'd feel the same about our game!!

Appreciated guys.

2. Buck Turgidson

Good God I miss proper TexMex. How ****ed up is it that I live in a Hill Country town with 3 solid Asian (thai/thai/pho) restaurants and ZERO good Mexican food unless I want to drive 45 minutes?

The Buddhist Temple up north may explain some of that, but seriously?

Hell, I miss late nights and early mornings at Chapultapec.

Bob Barker 007 and Hustle Town like this.
  3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

All of the recommendations for El Tiempo are absolutely correct.

LonghornFan likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

LonghornFan likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

I still think Pappasitos Fajitas are better than El Tiempo *ducks* the pappasitos fajita chicken is amazingly moist and delicious IMO

SWTsig likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I have a soft spot in my heart for Pappasitos. Last place I went before I moved overseas, made a leftover large fajita taco to take on the plane. 5 hours and 3 scotches into the flight, I'm hungry, been smelling it the whole time, so I bust it out. People called me an "*******". Not my fault, enjoy the fish.

**** all yall, I'm having a taco. That was the last proper TexMex I had for months.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I prefer the original Lupe's off Highway 6 in Addicks area to both. Not the other locations, though.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

El tiempo for sure.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this man knows what's up.

btw those saying how spread out houston is aren't wrong but if you're staying downtown you can get to midtown, montrose, eado, the museum district, washington corridor and even the heights for less than a $10 uber ride.

if you like beer you should definitely check out either 8th wonder in eado or st. arnolds in the warehouse district just north of downtown. 8th wonder is practically within walking distance of minute maid park. the dynamo stadium (soccer) is nearby too.

ninfa's on navigation should be your stop for tex-mex... really good fajitas, margaritas, queso, etc. but it's also a houston institution. they also run shuttles to and from minute maid park. it's also in eado so just a stones throw away from the stadium. my favorite bbq spot is the pit room in montrose, their brisket tacos are next level and worth the $8 uber ride. also, if you're going to be in houston, you almost HAVE to get crawfish. BB's has great traditional cajun-style (louisiana) crawfish but the vietnamese crawfish spots have become the defining Houston dish. LA Crawfish on Richmond isn't too far. for fine dining nearby both xochi in the marriott marquis (oaxacan cuisine - think interior mexican) and theodore rex (vegetable forward) have both made top 10 best new restaurants in the country lists. vic & anthony's and pappas bros steaks are both two of the best and are both downtown.

discovery green is a nice and convenient park just a few blocks from the stadium in the convention district - a lot of restaurants and hotels there. the nicest park, however, is Hermann Park and it's worth a visit, especially if you drive in from main or montrose blvd. it's in the museum district near most of the top notch institutions like the Museum of Fine Art Houston, Museum of Natural Science, Contemporary Art Museum, the Asia Society, Health Museum, etc. the Menil is also once of the best (if not the best) private art museums in the country. it's a couple miles away in montrose although it is currently closed for renovations so it might not be open when you visit. it's also home of the Rothko Chapel and the soon to open Menil Drawing Institute which should be opening soon. it's also free.

i haven't been to the Houston Space Center in Clear Lake where NASA is located in 20+ years but i've had friends from europe go recently and they absolutely loved it so that might be worth a visit.

btw those saying there isn't much to do downtown are pretty far off base - there are a ton of new bars and restaurants to check out, including a couple of new food halls that will all be open by the time you get here. Finn Hall at 712 Main, Bravery Hall at the Aris apartment complex and Lyric Market at 411 Smith will all have gobs of eating and drinking options. then you have bars like pastry war (tequila/mezcal bar w the best margarita i've ever had), tongue cut sparrow which is actually located inside pastry war, warrens (old school dive bar), la carafe (oldest bar/bldg in houston), okra charity saloon, frank's pizza and garden (great pizza and new beer garden next to Aris/Bravery Hall), public services (top notch whiskey and wine), bovine and barley (sports bar) just to name a few.

10. Buck Turgidson

Do you really like Lupe's? Their fajitas? Everything else is wonderful, but the fajitas?

It's no La Hacienda, i know that much.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If you're in the mood for some awesome drinks, my buddy just opened high and dry on main street. About 5 minutes away from the park. Awesome patio, amazing drinks and lots of...well, you're married nm. I'm there every Friday night.

http://www.highanddryhtx.com

12. Buck Turgidson

Dude! That looks solid.

What rums do/have you had from Costa Rica/Panama, just out of curiosity and nostalgia?

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Was going to say Lupe Tortilla's, the original, as well. El Tiempo is also excellent though.

For BBQ, you might as well go to Austin and try Franklin. It will take the whole day to drive there, stand in line, and get back but it's ungodly fantastically good. There's nothing in Houston that compares, certainly not Goode Company, which was mentioned earlier and don't even go to Pappa's BBQ, that place is awful.

For a good steak and great service, Pappa's Steakhouse stands alone but it's pricey. The Taste of Texas is also solid.

As for locations, the Arboretum has always been a favorite of mine and the Museums are good.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Isn’t the Arboretum Austin??

Vic and Anthony’s is a solid steak choice right by the ball park.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I meant the Houston one.

https://houstonarboretum.org/

Harrisment likes this.
  16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

17. Buck Turgidson

Aaron cooks possibly the best brisket on earth, that is true. There's no reason to stand in line for 3 hours though, go to Valentina's (brisket tacos are the bomb!), Mikelthwaits, La Bbq, Stiles Switch.....

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Tex-Mex, Lupe's
    Really good more authentic mexican food??? Laredos

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ha! I love me some La Ha. But the fajitas at the original Lupe's are easily my family's favorite in town. The other locations are owned by the son of the founder, and none of it tastes the same to me.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Pinkerton's BBQ on Airline Dr. is great BBQ. Won't have to stand in a long line because it's newer and is still growing its reputation. But you're going to be hard pressed to find better BBQ in Houston. It's also relatively close to downtown Houston.