1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Videos folks:

The President of Earth calls on humanity to fight one last battle as their enemy approaches to deal the death blow:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KbBRrK9Q-rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G'Kar delivers a powerful statement after the fall of Narn when the Centauri want him extradited.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJmuHNDcXLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John Sheridan declares Independence from Earth

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7ijElRjc0_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Final Five Minutes of B5
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/znNciln7qwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. justtxyank

One last video. Don't view this if you haven't watched B5 yet. This scene got me very upset.

The death of Kosh

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BSImwGBEDPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Good timing. I decided to try out DS9 last week, remembering how many regard it as the best ST series. It seemed so boring as a kid but I figured I might have a better appreciation for it now. The first few episodes were meh and Sisko's acting seemed amateurish at best but I'll try to stick with it. I'm tempted to skip to later seasons like others have recommended but the completist in me will probably just grin and bear it.

My curiosity is piqued concerning Babylon 5. Too bad they don't have it on Netflix streaming.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I voted for DS9. That's definitely my favorite "Space Sci-Fi" show and possibly my favorite show period.

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

If anyone likes mst3k, I just watched 'soultaker' and it was hilarious. It's on Netflix if you've got 90 min.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll just say it again, the first few seasons are a bit of a bear even for a big fan like me.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The reason I couldn't get into Sisko is because when I saw him, all I could think about was how much of a bad-ass he was in Spencer for Hire as Hawk. Seriously, there was no cooler cat on TV than Avery Brooks as Hawk. They should put this character on DS9 :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7U82V_NjhOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The other thing I didn't like from the earlier episodes of DS9 that I did watch was that it seemed his character/acting on DS9 was a bit forced.

As for Picard's perfection, they blew his perfection away several times just to make him seem more human. The Borg basically raped him, the Cardassian, Gul Madred had him stripped buck nekkid and hanging from the ceiling as he tortured him, he begged Q to save them from the Borg, he's broken the Prime Directive a few times (going back on his oath), etc.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just noticed that Amazon Prime members can watch DS9 free on Amazon ... I may have to re-visit this series. I can't believe this thing was released almost 20 years ago. Yikes.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?
    [​IMG]

"I have, and always will be, your friend."

GIVE IT UP FOR THE WRATH OF KAHN PEOPLE!!! :grin:

Kirk/Spock trumps all!!!

(By the way, my favorite Twilight Zone episodes star William Shatner...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Yeah I mentioned that in one of the threads. It's what prompted me to start this. I'm in season 2.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cool. I went there looking to see what it would cost to get the DVD's and that was met with a "oh, hell no" when I saw the price. That's when I saw the streaming version.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

For some reason I think he's a classically trained actor, maybe I read that somewhere before? So I figure he grows into it and gets more comfortable.

But it's nearly comical the first episodes so far. The really 'sci-fi' lines like discussing his favorite alien food is almost comical. It's like an SNL parody of informercial acting. And some of the actual dialogue was just plain awkward, which I attribute to the script.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

He is classically trained and is currently a teacher of drama at Oberlin College, think it just took him time to settle into the role.

#93 GRENDEL, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  14. justtxyank

He gets a lot better as Season 1 ends and by Season 3 he is outstanding.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hated Janeway . . .she was just seemed so smug
    and I just did not like many of the characters
    Chi-Ko-Tay was boring
    The Half Klingon Half human chick . . decent eye candy but could not make up for the boringness of the character
    Tom - HEY DIDN'T YOU BLOW UP SOME KIDS WITH WESLEY CRUSHER!! WOULD HAVE been more interesting if you were that guy
    The Asian guy . . yea his name was henry or something but he was Asian Guy . . undeserved of a name. . boring . .

Most of the series I could not help but think
    If I was the Asst Cheif Engineer. . like 10 yrs into my enlistment
    next in line for the big seat of engineer. . I get bumped for a criminal
    and suppose to take order from her . . i'd be pissed!!

DS9
    Did have better Characters
    from Quark to Garak
    The Arc about ODO and the Founders was great

Babylon 5 was great also . . .
    many people slept on it. . G'Kar was a great character
    with several excellent speeches

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Firefly is unpretentious, fun, and has real heart.

It runs away from the utopian/dystopian themes of most sci-fi and harkins back to the frontier spirit of old.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I voted Firefly but DS9 will always have a special place in my heart.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What I enjoyed about it was the grittiness of a working spaceship and the characters reacting to each other, frequently in an understated way. It reminded me of Alien before the appearance of the alien. I think that part of the flick was some of the best space SF ever filmed. The director has his moments, I'll admit. ;-)-

Honestly, I really enjoyed most of the series mentioned in the excellent (if incomplete) poll. I even enjoyed Space 1999, some of the silliest SF ever to grace the small screen. DS9 was groovy. I watched every episode. It took me a while to warm up to TNG when it first started. It was like they wanted to make it as different from the original Star Trek as possible, without making it unrecognizable as the Star Trek universe. For a long time, it was so anticeptic that I was reminded of a hospital more that a "space adventure." Then it either got better, or I got used to it. The character of Q was a fantastic invention, as were the Borg. By the time it ended, I was really sorry to see the series go.

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

After all of the drooling on DS9 on here, I decided to give it a go. The entire series is streaming on Netflix. I watched the premiere 2 parter and it was very good. Seems much "darker" than other Trek's. I always stayed away because many told me it was a Babylon 5 ripoff, but to me, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope it's a good ripoff.

Starting the next ep now.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you like that episode you should watch the DS9 episode The Visitor.