1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well, you may have just hit the wrong episodes. If you dropped into the middle of the final two seasons, sure it was pretty likely you'd be in the middle of a 10-episode story arc and have no clue. But it actually had a ton of great standalone episodes. Several from season 3 and 4 leap to mind for me (Civil Defense, Visionary, The Visitor, Paradise Lost). Then when you DO get into the later seasons, you have Sacrifice of Angels, which contained possibly the most "holy-crap" moment in all of Star Trek, and In the Pale Moonlight, which in my mind is one of the greatest things to ever be on TV.

Wow, I'm just gonna have to say I strongly disagree. DS9 characters are "meh"? IMO Bashir and Jadzia were the only poor characters DS9 had, and Bashir improved as time went on. Dukat, Kai Winn, Kira, O'Brien, Odo, Ezri, Worf, Quark, Garak, Sisko... they were all awesome. I don't get why everyone hates Avery Brooks/Sisko so much. He's the only Star Trek Captain that doesn't feel like a caricature. Picard and Janeway both seemed like they were written to be the "perfect" captains, with no true flaws to speak of, and Kirk just seemed like any number of other stereotypical macho TV personalities. Sisko actually seemed like a believable person who had flaws.

Kes > 7 of 9

Voyager was an okay show all the way though, but the characters were just awful. How good it was directly correlated to how much Robert Picardo was on the screen.

He more than deserves one. Best character in all of Star Trek, Q be damned.

Speaking of Garak, definitely read "A Stich in Time" if you haven't already. It's Garak's back-story. All the stuff he never told anyone in the show. Very entertaining read. Fun to finally know why Dukat hates him so much.

More of my favorites from Garak:

Garak: When the Klingons attacked the station, Gul Dukat and I were fighting side by side. At one point, he turned his back to me, and I must admit that for a moment, he made a very tempting target.
    Odo: You'd shoot a man in the back?
    Garak: Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?

Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle.
    Garak: But I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, I love that UFO was mentioned, but I've read every post... and maybe I missed it... but no Space 1999? (especially first season)

I loved that show, with Martin Landau and the eagles.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xhgZqAnR7gU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wayne Campbell: Ah yes, it's a lot like "Star Trek: The Next Generation". In many ways it's superior but will never be as recognized as the original.

Original Star Trek has an intangible quality that just kills everything else. Twilight Zone, while not a "Space Sci-Fi" really, is the best show ever made, in my opinion.

Speaking of Twilight Zone, don't tell the kids about Night Gallery. HOLY CRAP... Shadow on the wall... JESUS. DARWIN.

4. Nero

Nero Member

After seeing this thread this morning and remember UFO, I went and looked up the history on Wiki.. and I never realized, but UFO was supposed to get a second season, but it was going to be based entirely on the moon, they did a huge bunch of sets and production work, got it all ready, and then the studio canceled it, but Anderson (the creator of the series) was not willing to let all that work go to waste, so he basically turned all of that into Space 1999 .. I never liekd that one as much as UFO though.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Lexx, then Star Trek Next Generation for live Tv shows.
    [​IMG]
    Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and Ulysses 31 for Cartoon.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

twilight zone.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only two series I have watched all the way through are Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, and Star Trek: Voyager. So those are my 3 favorites, in that order

10. Burko

Burko Member

Lost in Space and Land of the Giants

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Another great British Space Sci-Fi show is Red Dwarf. Not the greatest, but worth watching, especially if you like British humor.

I kind of miss programming in general from the 70's. I was pretty young and I remember the intros with the cheesetastic orchestrated disco music like Heart to Heart or The Love Boat more than the actual content.

AleksandarN likes this.
  12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Babylon 5 with only 6 votes should get this thread locked.

AleksandarN likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bester, G'Kar, Londo, Garibaldi, Marcus, Kosh, Ivanova...

Show was so underrated it wasn't even funny!

"We have always been here."

AleksandarN, Deckard and Chuck 4 like this.
  14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Nice save on Space 1999, b-bob, I was wondering if anyone else watched it. I wouldn't have put it first, but it deserved mention at least.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Oh and I forgot about this one too:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fYImAU8Pz6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was actually some fairly hard-core sci-fi.. underneath all the hotties in skimpy outfits anyway :grin:

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Don't forget about John freakin' Sheridan.

Vir, Delenn and Zack, too. Oh, and Lyta Alexander....I've always been partial to cute redheads, though.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree. It was just kind of unique and tried to make a realistic and somewhat detailed moon environment. It got kind of wacky after the start though.

It doesn't even belong in the "greatest" conversation, I just wanted to remind people of its merits. :)

I would vote original ST. By far my favorite. You can't even have the follow-up series without the whole mythology and system set out by the original.

Deckard likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I liked Sheridan but I was leaving him off to point out all the awesome secondary characters.

That said, someone slap my mamma I can't believe I forgot Lyta!

[​IMG]

She used her telepathy to invade my dreams quite often the little minx. She just couldn't stay away!

AleksandarN likes this.
  19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I grew up on Buck Rogers, and for its time, it was pretty cool...Finally saw the Firefly marathon last weekend and damn, what a great show...has my vote...

1 person likes this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Star Trek TNG

The flute episode and the series finale alone put it in the top.