1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Deep Space 9 is my favorite.

Stargate Atlantis is very close behind, though. It is the only tv show I have watched all the way through twice.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It took me watching the whole series 3 times (I'm a big Trek fan) before I finally warmed up to it, last time I watched it I really appreciated Voyager a lot more especially the last few seasons.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I look at Firefly as something that had the POTENTIAL for greatness. To say that it was the best Sci-fi series ever after 14 episodes & a movie is quite a stretch, I agree. And this is coming from someone who loved the series. The sample size was just too small. Who knows if it would have gotten better or worse? Hell, the first season of Heroes was pretty damn special and then what happened? Longevity should count for something. If your show can go multiple seasons and never get bad, that's quite a feat.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. I loved the season and I loved the movie, but the sample is too small. As a series I think it is crazy to call it the best. It had no major story arch that got resolved, we barely delved into the backstory, etc. I think people rate it in conjunction with the movie, which definitely helps its cause.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The characters were not that interesting
    the integration of the two crews IMO was too easy
    and alot of resolutions were just tooo . . . pat and easy
    Hell . . . like 75 % of the shows ended with either the
    Eye Candy pulling something out of her rear [She being 7 of 9 or Kess]
    or
    the DOCTOR . . .

beyond that. .. the rest of them were just props. . .
    It had alot of potential but decided to not have any over arcing arcs or something

Rocket River

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

DS9 is my favorite by far.

Captain Sisko: Who's watching Tolar?
    Garak: I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that if he attempts to force the door open, it may explode.
    Captain Sisko: I hope that's just an impression.
    Garak: It's best not to dwell on such minutiae.

Middle of season 3 it gets can't-stop-watching fantastic. The first two seasons are sort of slow.

Agree with this. Doctor was AWESOME, Kes and 7 of 9 were okay, and the rest for the most part were horribly uncompelling characters.

7. cod

cod Member

70's tv sci-fi had the best kitsch and cheese. They knew how to do sexy too.

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uah-H5uxWnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I voted other....Doctor Who.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Captain James T. Kirk
    Science Officer Spock
    Doctor Leonard McCoy

Beat those main characters... :grin:

(Impossible)

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe we should make a GARAK Appreciation thread

Dr. Julian Bashir: You'll be fine. It's just a flesh wound.
    Garak: That was awfully close. What if you'd killed me?
    Dr. Julian Bashir: What makes you think I wasn't trying?
    Garak: Doctor, I do believe there's hope for you yet.
    Dr. Julian Bashir: Well, I'm so relieved!

Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
    Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
    Bashir: Even the lies?
    Garak: Especially the lies.

Bashir: And so they exiled you.
    Garak: That's right! And left me to live out my days with nothing to look forward to but having lunch with you.
    Bashir: I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought you enjoyed my company.
    Garak: Oh, I did! And that's the worst part. I can't believe that I actually enjoyed eating mediocre food and staring into your smug sanctimonious face.

[​IMG]

Rocket River

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Falling Skies c'mon!!

I never really got into any of those shows except for Stargate which was really good it's first few seasons. I should watch Firefly cause Serenity is one of my favorite sci-fi movies.

I'm gonna throw a wrinkle here and say Sliders. Loved that show!

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I tried watching DS9 a few times, but it seemed more like a drama/soap opera that you had to be there from the beginning to even grasp what was going on. Odo annoyed the hell out of me because everytime I saw his face, I expected Gretchen to bust through a wall to beat the hell out of him while Benson and the governor tried to separate the two.

ST: Voyager. The battle between the Borg and Species 8472 was some of the most bad-ass space tv ever. Seven of Nine was hot as hell. But it was all neutralized by the fact Neelix existed - simply a character that deserved a swift death. I don't know if I hated him or Odo more. Probably Neelix. I actually loved some of the plots on this show.

I tried watching Firefly. Seemed like a low-budget drama somebody threw in space. I must've been among the many who helped cancel it, because I still don't get the infatuation with it.

I loved the original Star Trek, but more for comedic reasons than anything else. lol. Seriously cheesy acting and sets that look like they were built out of cardboard and Christmas tree lights. What's not to like? :grin: There are shows from the 50's and 60's you can say "yeah, the special effects suck because they're old shows, but the acting and premise were great!" (Twilight Zone comes to mind), but this is a show where the acting sucked, the special effects suck, and a lot of the themes don't always carry over well decades later (space hippies? seriously?). But it's still a classic and I have my dvr set to record episodes when they come on.

No love for Buck Rogers? Come on. Who wouldn't love an episode with Princess Ardala... or the episode that gave us Wilma Deering about to be violated by midget pirates trying to examine her "bumps" :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tCsUe_z1-H4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, my favorite space-based sci-fi series is probably ST:TNG unless I'm forgetting something. The Borg episodes were some of the best episodes ever.

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

DS9 was good from season 5-7. Basically, when Sisko gets bald and fat is when the show gets good. The earlier seasons of DS9 are not very watchable. The characters are also meh. The guy playing Sisko is like the WORST actor out of any Star Trek show. DS9 was more about story.

Voyager was also good after they got 7-of-9. Granted that after they got Seven, 75% of the shows was about her (or the Doctor).. but that's okay, those were my two favorite characters out of any Star Trek show.

There are not too many space shows out there. Slim pickings ;(

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I raise you a Scottie.

15. kona-

kona- Member

TNG and DS9. No doubt.

16. mclawson

mclawson Member

Sounds like you watched it in Fox style - out of order and canceled early.

If you didn't watch it in order and all the way through it's hard to understand the appeal. It's not something you can just jump into the middle of or start with the movie and work backwards. There is character development that you just don't get if you watch it out of order. Fox did the same thing when they aired it originally which is one of the reasons it had such a short run. That can't really be blamed on the show itself. There are a few story arcs (Saffron, Niska, reavers, etc.) that play out as well.

Even though the movie was intended to wrap things up, especially the reaver/river story arc, it felt a bit disjointed and rushed. I would have loved more actual episodes to play that story out and further some character development.

Nathan Fillion said if he ever won the lottery he'd buy the rights to Firefly and start it up again. The California Lotto commission sent him a ticket. I was tempted to send him one myself.

17. GRENDEL

Nope, saw it on DVD after all the praise, I get what Whedon is going for but it just didn't do anything for me.

18. mclawson

mclawson Member

Fair enough, but that doesn't go with what you said about "watching the movie and a few episodes."

19. Kronos

Kronos Member

I'd say Firefly, though they are all mostly lame IMO. I LOVE SCI-FI movies....tv seems too cheap and campy.

Took me like 2 years to finally get through Firefly from start to finish. Was mostly disappointing. Watched Serenity and loved it.

20. GRENDEL

I watched a few of the episodes on DVD, they were in order and just never grabbed me, couldn't finish the rest.