1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, that is freaking amazing. I bet there was a ton of coke and 70's hairy sex going on on that set.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

DS9 and the redux of Battlestar are tied for me, think it's no accident they were both done by Ron Moore.

3. conquistador#11

You take x-files and the twilight zone, I'm left with nothing. I never got into star trek or the one million versions of stargate.

Maybe the Jetsons? do they count?

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Neither is really 'space' oriented.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As I mentioned in the other thread, BSG is the only one I've seen all the way through, so I refrain from voting.

From the talk in that thread, I'll probably get around to giving Babylon 5 and DS9 a try.

There's not a lot of content for Firefly so I'll probably watch that next. I saw some of the Serenity movie but didn't really pay close attention.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sorry, if you aren't into space sci-fi this is probably not the thread for you!

7. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be the original trek or the original Twilight Zone.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

love Twilight Zone...but don't care for any of the others on the list.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm going to go with the series that plowed the road (anyone know which SF flick the line 'plow the road" was from? it's easy) for those that followed. The original Star Trek. I remember watching it from week 1 when the series first ran. Yes, it had incredibly cheesy sets and effects, but fantastic scripts, ground breaking in many ways for the period (the first inter-racial kiss on American TV, which had people talking about it at water coolers across the country when it aired), and arguably the best cast ever to grace an SF series in the States. The Twilight Zone I'd put second, although it deserves to be first, probably, based on originality when it aired (and I watched it when it first aired, when many of these were seen in a much different light). Yes, it was science fiction, and struggled with a budget even lower than Star Trek (and it was in black and white), but ground breaking, nonetheless. What knocks it down here is that it wasn't strictly a "Space SF" series. Episodes of it certainly were, but not the entire series, not by a long shot. That knocks it down in this poll's criteria, which takes me to those below.

More recent SF on the tube? My favorites would be grouped close together, but I'd go with Babylon 5. It just grabbed me from the first episode and never let go. Like most SF on TV, it could have used a bigger budget, but they did well with what they had (and I wish they hadn't changed the lead midway through the series, although the replacement was excellent). Lots of close seconds, though, with most listed on the poll.

Nice thread idea, justtxyank!

10. GRENDEL

After all the love for Babylon 5 I've been reading, I may have to give it shot, I never watched it.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Twilight Zine is NOT a "Space Sci-fi"...

And all you people voting for anything but original Star Trek blow... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

of those listed .. . Voyager is the worse

Nice List

Babylon 5 was great . .the last season was a bit too much
    Firefly was too short

Rocket River

13. GRENDEL

As a big scifi fan I just can't ever understand the love that Firefly gets, I've watched the movie and a few episodes and it just didn't do anything for me.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I loved the Cardasian Taylor/spy

Rocket River

15. justtxyank

Independence Day.

Scene where the president screams "Doesn't anyone have any missiles left???!!" and the crazy drunk says "At your service Mr. President!"

The president gets together a team of fighters to protect crazy drunk and says "Gentlemen, let's plow the road!"

Deckard likes this.
  16. justtxyank

You definitely should. It's epic.

Agreed on this entire post. The last season of B5 was pretty crappy to be honest on the whole, but had some good episodes. It was hard to make it work though with Ivanova gone and the major storyline all wrapped up. The final episode of the series is pretty darn good though.

Garak. Funny that he was introduced early on and expected to be a one time character. The producers thought he did so well that they made it permanent.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Quite possibly the most overrated series in the history of television.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I chose B5 because Firefly's 12-13 episodes weren't enough to qualify IMO. It's a shame they cut it off so early.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a sci-fi nerd too and I've never gotten the appeal of Firefly either. It's entertaining but as far as story and acting I would put it on par with Stargate Atlantis which I enjoy also but I wouldn't put it on par with the other shows.

For me personally I DS9 is my favorite on that list. The story arc of B5 was more epic but the quality of the acting, dialogue and characters overall was better than B5. I found characters like Garak, Quark and Odo much more compelling than any of the characters on B5.

BSG was great but the problem I had with it, and Stargate Universe, was how out of the way they made the characters so dysfunctional. We get that this is a new gritty direction for sci-fi but at some point you have to ask how did any of these people get in the positions that they were when they were so dysfunctional and unprofessional.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Props to the Quark reference. Even to this day, some of the funniest scenes I have ever seen are from that show, and they still make me laugh today.

"Set weapons to 'pin-prick!'

and

'Now what?' 'Now, we wait.. for the bee.'

LOL

I don't know if you can find those scenes out there anywhere, but just off the top of my head I have never forgotten them, just absolutely hilarious writing and acting, considering the time and the material.

As for the actual list..

I have always had a special love for that old ITC series called UFO. If you never got a chance to see it, it only lasted 26 episodes, but it was always such an amazing way to top off the Saturday-morning cartoons as a kid. The funny thing was, the only reason it was shown (sporadically at best) on Saturday mornings was because it was made by the same people who made Thunderbirds, so the people buying it and scheduling it assumed it was made for children, but nothign could have been further from the truth. It was very dark and adult, and had lots of that 70's-British-overt-sexuality to it, which I suppose was one reason why I loved it. Plus, the ship designs on the 'Interceptors' was (and still is) just plain pure awesomeness.

But for what is on the actual list: I have never understood the hate for Voyager. I like it a lot better than any of the other ST series. TNG was always just a pansified mess to me, DS9 never managed to interest me, and Enterprise was just a big disappointment. Ah buy Voyager, now THAT was good stuff. Great characters, good stories, great action, heck even the THEME music was the best of the ST series.

Oh well, each his own.

Among those on the list though, there's no question, the original Star Trek series is in a class all by itself. It's not even close. Nothing else has had the impact and influence over the culture, not just of this country, but of the entire WORLD, the way Star Trek did.

1 person likes this.