1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Was doesn’t Babylon 5 have more votes. That is hands down the best sci-fi tv show ever. Incredibly well written.

3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You obviously didn’t watch Star Trek next generation the inner light. That episode could be watched by anyone even if they haven’t watch a single Star Trek episode before.

#223 AleksandarN, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

"mando and baby yoda's fun adventures in a galaxy far far away"

amirite or wat

arkoe and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it's because it's old and people won't be able to get past the special effects. I don't get the love Firefly gets. I get it's a bit of a cult and I actually liked it, but its "half-a-season" can't hold a candle to the writing/plot/storyline in B5 or DS9. Damnit, after thinking about it, I think I may put B5 ahead of DS9 on my list!

AleksandarN likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. Someone else who’s read the novels and understands what moving to Amazon has done for The Expanse.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best TNG Episode was...

THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!

I mean, the Locutus of Borg and some of the Q episodes and some others were more fun, but to me, there was real Acting!™ when Picard was being tortured.

Firefly was an excelent example of world building. The universe felt like a real, dynamic place being pushed and pulled in a thousand directions at once and almost at random. If that isnt a thing that really interests you, it wouldn't be particularly remarkable at all.

Much as I enjoy all the Star Treks, I've never seen the societies as particularly dynamic or real. When cultures in the shows are divergent, or in conflict it clearly is done for the sake of the parable they are trying to tell. It is always clear at the end that the is a "good side" and a "bad side" and everything that happens is in service of the lesson they are trying to impart.

#227 Ottomaton, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I grew up watching trek and it helped me understand morality better than any other show. That and the occasional Twilight Zone.

The talking and extreme acting is probably the best and worst part of trek. It's why I hated what JJ Abrams did to the movies even though his first remake made a pile of cash.

P.S. the one where Picard fights for Data's rights in court was pretty good Acting!™

Ottomaton likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One of my favorite non-Borg (or even including Borg) episodes of TNG was "Inner Light" where Picard gets zapped and lives out the life of an ancient man as his planet is dying. They had left a beacon out there to do this to let others know they existed and how they lived before their star went nova and killed their planet (I believe). There was something cool about that episode even though there was no conflict between races, battles, etc.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great but not as good as Firefly.

DD

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't go through the entire thread, but I liked Firefly, the newer battle start galactica and Caprica. I have not seen B5 or DS9, so I'll have to add those to my list...

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Expanse is going to be move up in these ranks really fast over the next decade.

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That's widely considered one of the best TV episodes ever, not just Sci Fi.