1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GREATEST SINGLE GAME MOMENTS IN ROX HISTORY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

After reading the "What's right with the Rockets" thread I remembered another thing I enjoy about the Rocket's. I love the history montage shown before games at TC. That made me think of several single game moments in Rocket's history that has stuck with me over the years.

Which one of these is your favorite? Could be a playoff moment or just something that made you do a double take. Feel free to add other moments, thanks.

1: Kiss of Death - Mario Elie's 3pt shot VS Phoenix GM 7 1994-95 Playoffs

2: Miracle Shot - Ralph Sampson's GW shot VS Lakers 1986 WC Semi-Finals

3: Magic Moment - Kenny Smith's tying 3pt shot VS Orlando GM 1 NBA Finals

4: OT Tip - Hakeem Olajuwon's GW tip VS Orlando GM 1 94-95 NBA Finals

5: Facial - McGrady's facial dunk over Shawn Bradley VS Dallas 2004-05

6: NY Nightmare - Olajuwon's tip of Starks 3pt att. GM 6 93-94 NBA Finals

7: Ole Eddie - Eddie Johnson's GW 3pt VS Jazz GM 4 96-97 WC Finals

8: No Layup - Olajuwon's come from behind block of Rod Strickland

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson's shot

Mario's kiss of death

Hak nailing the three pointer at the end of regulation to sweep Orlando.

Any game Hak played in

3. Sextuple Double

13 in 35. Not as big, but much more of a rare occurrence as anything I've seen in sports

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kiss of Death is the greatest, no doubt. The only reason I'd consider it not #1 is because it came in teh second championship run. But gien the lack of defining plays in the first (though the Hakeem plays mentioned are up there), the Kiss of Death gets the top spot, imo.

All that said, one poll lists Ralph Sampson's shot as the 11th greatest moment ever in playoff history.

#4 JayZ750, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

When Clutch the Bear shot Cuttino Mobley in the face with a projectile from a nerf Rocket launcher.

Good Times... :D

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very nice try, but you left out Maxwell's 3 pointer in game 7 against the Knicks. That shot, with about 1:30 left, put us up by 7 and the celebration started on the court during the timeout.

For me, because it drove home the excitement of our first champship, this was the singular moment in Rockets history. Seems like a lot of people forgot about it after Mario's Kiss of Death.

As much as I don't like Max, his was the greatest moment.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I woulda voted for Dream's 3 ball to cap the second championship!!

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I was five, but I still think the Miracle Shot was best. I was too young to really be a fan of a team, but my Dad was a certified Celtic-loving, Laker hater. He exploded when Ralph made that shot.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One moment that should be up there is Olajuwon with back to back quadruple doubles. As we all know someone blew his stats and he didnt get credit for one of them.

Also reminds me of Drexler being just 1 assist shy of a quad, Kevin Willis missed the open go ahead 3 that would have sealed it. It was significant because Drexler was like 40yrs old.

Ahhh. This thread is a breath of fresh air!

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Elie's "Kiss of Death" was incredible and all but I can't vote for it over Dream tipping Starks' shot in Finals. That series was pretty much still up in the air when Dream put his foot down, denied him and led us to victory.

11. Rox225

I was trying to remember if Maxwell hit any game sealing playoff shots but I was drawing a blank. I know he was a big shot guy, but outside of the one's listed and several Cassell/Horry shots I had nothing. Good one though, although we'll never know if Olajuwon doesn't tip Starks shot in GM 6 if there is a GM 7.

I would have put McGrady's 13pts in 35sc up there too, but just forgot that one.

Awesome memories though.

12. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

i flew up to phoenix for game 7 and saw it in person, so i have to say that was the greatest moment for me. i was only 12 but remember being so depressed during the game, cant remember how many points we were down, but my dad made me cheer up and turned my hat backwards and thats when it all began!! I have to say being at game 4 in the finals and celebrating in the stadium is a very close 2nd....

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tough one here.

Sampson's shot was special beyond belief for me.I've mentioned how I was in Dan Patrick's watching that game...Sampson hits the shot and my buddy and I ran out of the bar celebrating forgetting to pay.

Only team besides the Lakers to go to the Finals in the eighties....having to deal with two of the greatest dynasties in sport each time.

The Kiss of Death is pretty tough to beat.I mean it doesn't happen if Mario misses that shot.

That said for me my favorite moment is when we beat the Spurs in the WCF.I remember sitting in the Summit...Tears actually came to my eyes as I knew right then we were finally going to win it all.

#13 Plowman, Jan 23, 2007
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I just put Kenny Smith on the map here. All great moments, but there's something about Kenny's 3 to push the game to overtime that gets me. That whole game was something. Brick Anderson chokes at the line, Rockets come back. Penny Hardaway flying at Kenny for the block, and he just dribbles to the left a little and buries it as Penny flies helplessly by. Clutch had a photo of that moment in the rotation back when he did retro days. And, how cool is it that 2 of the options on this poll are from the same game. That was the most unforgettable game I've ever seen.

15. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

This thread needs videos :) But i voted for MariO!

16. Rox225

If anyone has video clips of these options of others mentioned in the thread feel free to post.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YOU FORGOT SOME PAL

[​IMG]

Dec. 9, 1993
    With the Rockets trailing the Miami Heat 101-98 with 3.3 seconds remaining in regulation, Vernon Maxwell takes the inbounds pass, turns and hits a 30-foot heave at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, where the Rockets eventually pull out a 115-109 win to run their record to 18-1. “There was no skill involved at all," Maxwell says. “It was pure luck. But like Kenny (Smith) said afterward, if anybody can make that kind of shot, it’s me. Luck counts."

Jan. 13, 1995
    Mad Max does it again. Vernon Maxwell, who has made a history of nailing improbable, game-winning, buzzer-beating shots, swishes a 28-foot three-pointer with 0.4 seconds remaining to give the Rockets a 103-100 win over the San Antonio Spurs. With the game tied and 3.4 seconds on the clock, Maxwell catches the inbounds pass near midcourt, takes a couple of dribbles and launches the game-winner, sending an exuberant Compaq Center crowd into a celebratory frenzy.

Dec. 29, 1994
    Trailing the Golden State Warriors 124-123 with three seconds remaining, the Rockets need a miracle. Their prayers are answered by Vernon Maxwell. The Rockets guard is the beneficiary of a botched play when he finds his hands on the ball with the seconds winding down. Falling out of bounds, Maxwell turns and throws in an improbable three-pointer at the buzzer, leading to a wild Compaq Center celebration. “It lucked up being in my hands," Maxwell says. “I thought it (the shot) would be short, but it went in."

#17 tinman, Jan 23, 2007
  18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I voted for Hakeem's OT Tip

The 13 in 35 was a great moment in rockets history I think.

Other one was when Olajuwon was the all-time blocker.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

how is Ralph's shot losing so bad? I'll attribute it to the age of this board's voters.. even if I'm not too old myself.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or Not even mentioning ANY VERNON MAXWELL SHOTS.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqRjFYoHfXc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqRjFYoHfXc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>