1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Graduate School Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

There are 2 graduate programs I am interested in. MS in Industrial Organizational Psychology.

Industrial-organizational psychology focuses on workplace behavior and is one of the fastest growing specialty areas in psychology.

Described as a field that "tries to understand and measure human behavior to improve employees' satisfaction in their work, employers' ability to select and promote the best people, and to generally make the workplace better for the men and women who work there."

and MS in HR Management

Build trusting relationships with organizational stakeholders,
    based on teamwork and communication.
    Plan and implement talent development strategies that align
    with business goals.
    Promote human resources as a critical partner in the success of
    an organization.
    Protect the integrity of the business, its employees and its
    management practices.
    Recommend strategies bases on data-driven analysis and
    critical decision-making.
    Design and implement strategic human resources programs that
    encourage employee growth and contribute to business success

Anyone who works in the industry care to give me some advice on which route to take. Or for anyone that works in business which would you pick.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say, depends. Sounds like either degree would land you in roughly the same place. But, organizational psychology is more specialized whereas HR management is a broad and shallow study. If you have a very particular interest in organizational psychology, do that. Or, if you're not well-suited personality-wise for management jobs but could thrive with a hermetic expertise, doing the specialty might be good. If you don't particularly know what you want to do in HR or else you want to be rangy in career options, take the more general degree.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're freaking hired at my place of work.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I amateurly dabble in organizational behavior, reading a lot on the subject and talking to professionals and professors when I can. My interest is trying to understand how organizations function and make decisions under stress.

I would obviously go with your first choice. I think there is a lot of work to do in that realm and I would also look at that degree as a way to get to the areas I really want to delve into, maybe as a consultant or PhD.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can you get hired by Maurie with that degree? If not, then rethink your decision.