1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Feb 29, 2016.

?

how would you grade the roster outside of James and Dwight?

1. A- great talent, just bad coaching

14 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. B- solid talent with a hole or two

34 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. C- average

52 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. D- glaring weaknesses

75 vote(s)
    39.3%
  5. F- they are all scrubs

16 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Going into the year I thought we had a pretty talented group across the board but as the season has progressed it seems alot of guys have taken steps back. I was interested in seeing what ClutchFans thinks about the actual talent of the group we have and if your opinions of the talent has changed like mine has over the past couple of months.

I think James and Dwight have been fine so I really want this pole to be on the opinion of the other 13 roster spots.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

SG: top five. C: top ten. SF, above average. Every other position and bench. Way below average. Coach: way below average.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

We have a great roster and a great coach. Just that most other teams arw greater.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Fit is more important than talent, the pieces don't match the system at all.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

D - many players who are flawed which are exposed because of our lack of a system. It is also our fundamentally flawed group of guys that make any system impossible to successfully work.

Based on talent, I would say Harden, Ariza, Dwight & D-Mo are the only players who stand out in several aspects of what it takes to be a good to great player right now. Dwight & Ariza are already slipping, D-Mo is injured and Harden is asked to do too much and has effort problems. Ty has talent, but alcohol is helluva drug.

Beverley, Brewer, TJ, Josh are very flawed. KJ is athletic and along with Capela, Dekker & Harrell are young and just not very good (right now) and flawed. Terry is old and can basically only shoot.

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

You are as good as your GM thinks you are. And he tried to trade almost everyone. So we suck.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Before this season I would have said B at least.

Now it's C at best since literally everyone on the team has regressed since last year.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Great talent on paper

Wrong system coming from the fat geek for this group of players , garbage coaching, no chemistry, no heart, poor intangibles.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

they actually are talented. kj, harrel, ty, dwight - all heavily under-utilized. ty's an exception cuz he has no excuse but still not used right

rick carlisile would make this team a 5th seed at worst

cant wait for the offseason. i've had more than enough of this abomination season

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would say PF and the bench are glaring weaknesses. And JB isn't the right coach.

I think many here overrated this roster, thinking that we would be god-like without McHale holding us back. They were wrong, obviously.

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I am really surprised at how low you have Dwight. Can you really name 9 centers who are just as good as him in the current NBA? He may still be the best center in the league. The problem with Dwight is the rule changes and how the league is moving away from big men. Center is probably the least important position in the Nba now.

12. basketballholic

Dwight is still the best defensive and rebounding anchor in the league and those are the two most important attributes in today's NBA at the center position.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is pretty ridiculous. There are no C or D level rosters with average coaching that make the WCF in one of the toughest conferences ever.

This team was at least a B coming into the season in terms of TALENT.

Motivation and on court strategy are largely separate from talent.

14. rockets13champs

bro the thunder were hurt last year, clippers somehow beat the spurs. and were exhausted after that series was over. we played a mavs team that had internal chemistry issues, then we played a tired clippers team. We didnt deserve to be in the west finals. We just got lucky

15. OpenLayup-Why3?

Yup, I voted A. Because you don't give away Thornton who you can't find minutes for in the first place if you have a bad roster. When you can't find minutes for Thornton, you have great roster. Or your coaching staff is faulty. Or both. That's why it's A.

Look at JB's rotations. They are ridiculous, random and too often. He keeps subbing players without letting certain group to bond on the court. It's not hockey, you puppet.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

By the way, he asked to rate outside of Dwight.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

And Harden

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's embarrassing how badly CF overrates mediocre role players.

Thornton has been on like 6 teams in his few years in the league. No one in the league thinks he's some great role player that you love to have. At best, he's a streaky shooter. At worst, he's an inefficient chucker who plays only for himself.

He's good enough to get picked up by teams, but not good enough to ever stay for long.

19. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I didn't see the outside of H&H part. This team is pretty bad besides the two stars; other than Ariza, Beverley, and Capela, we currently have no respectable/proven role players (if Dmo ever gets healthy, he's another).

20. OpenLayup-Why3?

Almost everyone said Rockets were the deepest team coming to the season, even without Smith. People were picking Rockets to win the regular season. People who usually don't even like Rockets. You can't pin it to CF bias, lots of people who have nothing to do with CF rated our players extremely high. Can't let these couple months affect your judgement. Entire roster doesn't become **** just like that, because it would require a miracle.