1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 13, 2024.

?

Grade

1. A

2. A-

3. B

4. B-

5. C+

6. C

7. C-

8. D

9. D-

10. F

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Base your grade on what he has been this season.

Holybats and Tfor3 like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Are we grading based on expectation or as a player?

Id give a B in terms of development relative to expectations. I’d give him a B- as a player in general, at this point in his career. 3 years is nothing. Especially when everyone here insists that Silas was so bad a coach and KpJ such a distraction that nobody had a chance to be developed, professionally.

Unfortunately, we will eventually have to make a decision on whether to pay Jalen with the hopes of future development or let him go. If the decision had to be made tomorrow, I’d let him go. Unless he is okay with a mediocre contract. Until he takes over at least one full game and wills us to a win, then he isn’t a max player in my view.

thus far, we haven’t seen a single complete, dominant game from Jalen. Even top rookies put together complete games. Jalen hasn’t done it once in three years, to my recollection. It’s always a quarter, maybe a half. Need a full game of above average play before we commit a dollar to him.

thedude077 likes this.
  3. PWR

PWR Member

Our starting SG...
    FG% = 41%
    Three point% = 31%

[​IMG]

Only reason it isn't an F is because he got better defensively.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

C- as of now. Replacement level player.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Think of it as: Jalen Green has been a _______ player for the Rockets this year.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

a(n) inconsistent player

Corrosion likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

How will I grade our shooting guard who's job is to shoot?

F from me.

PeterKingX and clutchdabear like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

C-

He's improved across the board...except in the one thing he was kinda good at already in his flashes. That's a net negative overall which kinda sucks. He's shown that when he's on he can still flash big boy numbers. But the shot's regressed massively, which tells me he made entirely the wrong adjustments there. The only reason this isn't lower is because he's seemingly figured out how to not be useless on defense, grab some boards and dish some dimes. He's basically only keeping himself relevant through everything else, now he has to start to score again. He may last til the end of the season if he feasts on drives and puts together a couple of shooting performances. I think if he doesn't come back next year as an efficient shooter to go along with the scoring he's probably done and moved.

AroundTheWorld and AlperenSengun like this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

C-

I see some improvements. Passing, defense and more recently seems to have leveled up finishing. That being said, he needs to improve overall sciring percentages ASAP.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I gave him a C to be nice, but his assist/turnover ratio and 3 PT shooting makes me want to give him a D when I compare him to other shooting guards in the league.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This season is a "C". I thinknif KPJ had been here and if the team would have had more of a free flowing offense, he would have had a better grade.

It took him up until now to figure things out.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

D-

I gave him a little bump because he appears to be trying in game, particularly on defense.

But, he's been less efficient than his rookie year and offense is supposed to be his calling card. It's almost as if his offseason workouts consist of all star player type of drills. He has all these step back, turnarounds, fadeaway type moves but he can't make an open 3 or finish through contact the rim. So, he ends up looking great when he's hot but unplayable when he's not.

But, we have to play him for a variety of reasons, at least while he's on the team.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Given that he's still not a starting caliber player and he's one of the absolute least efficient scorers in the entire league....I don't see how anyone can give him above an F.

cml750 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know until I see a article on if he’s working with a new shooting coach (Cam guy is always in Houston with Cam and Dipo)

I really think John Lucas tinkering with his shot has hurt it …

glimmertwins likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

C+.

It is what it is. He's an A+ occasionally, an F from time to time, but most often he's somewhere in the middle. The problem is you can never know which it will be from night to night. I rounded him up to a C+ because of the upside potential. Most average players don't have that, and when he's good he's usually really good.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He's kind of a C/B- grade for me....he really is diversifying his game, holding the ball less, playing defense, hitting the boards MUCH harder, putting more effort in on both sides of the ball...it's just that the things he is supposed to be above average at, he's still NOT. To his credit, he got thrown a pretty big curveball with the ball going through Alpi this year - couldn't be more different than last years "Offense" but he has shown improvements and adaptability. He still has boneheaded plays that make me cringe, but he also occasionally makes MUCH better reads than he has in the past....as with everything with Jalen, it's not whether he can do that thing, it's how consistently he can do that.

He has those moments like last game where - he played some decent team defense, chased down a board, and had the team off on the break by giving it to Amen and then he is dunking the alley oop a few seconds later. It was a nice end to end sequence for him and makes you think - why would ANYONE consider trading him...but then he still has those "heat check" moments that make you want to throw something at the TV because he takes a horrible shot, doesn't get back on defense and he effectively gives back all the good will he made with the other play.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

A for ass. as in secksy ass.

James Gabriel and Dankstronaut like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Giving Jalen A C. Even though I think he needs to get all that trash ass Silas out of him, I didnt think he would struggle so much. I see flashes. still hopeful.

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel like we can’t grade Jalen until this season is over. But if we are grading for the last two and a half seasons, I actually think it’s a D. He’s regressed as much as he’s improved in areas. More recently things have been trending in a better direction, but the reality is that he’s a shooting guard who can’t shoot. And that’s a real problem. I also question the mental toughness.

If jalen finishes up strong that will be nice, but I don’t want to extend him; I’d like to trade him this summer. I’m higher on our other prospects.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

C- because i'm a really nice guy.

PeterKingX, Tfor3 and AroundTheWorld like this.