1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade Ime Udoka

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 13, 2024.

?

Grade

1. A

2. A-

3. B

4. B-

5. C

6. C-

7. D

8. D-

9. F

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets see.

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B - room for improvement

Night and day difference from Silas and I love that he instilled some discipline and accountability with this team of very young players. He still has work to do on the offensive side of the ball but I'm willing to be patient with him.

anthony59237 and DreamShook like this.
  3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

At least an A or higher, we were 22-60 last season, and we're 24-29 before all star break.
    27th in offensive rating, 29th in defensive rating last year, we're 23rd Ortg and 5th Drtg this year with many injuries affecting those averages, also the team is very young.

They will likely only improve and get better from here over the next few seasons.

#3 OkayAyeReloaded, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

We've made progress. That's enough. It takes well over half a year just to get on the same page with a new coach, new system, But We've also got to go through a culture shift and develop young players. It's an A for me.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He's done alright. Not much to complain about and that after the season.

DreamShook likes this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He's done well, doesn't make me feel any less miserable about the losses piling up though. It's not his fault our team is relying on a bunch of young players though.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

A-

Considering we were run at a deficit last 3 years, we had 0 foundation to build upon. This year was foundational with some positive player growth. It has been a shame to miss out on Eason playing.

We should get to 37-45 this year and 46-36 ish next year.

Rocket River and DreamShook like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A- for me. He get great scores across the board from me mostly.
    But he has got to be more innovative offensively and improve a bit in his live game adjustments.
    I do give him some slack on the later because of our GM's lack in improving the roster.
    He can only play the cards he is dealt.

DreamShook likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He gets an A for calling Lebron a “soft-ass boy”, all by itself

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

B-

If this was just the defensive end of the court it's an A+, but that offense aint **** tbh. It's so predictable and one-track that the entire league has us figured out, even running the breaks isn't enough of a variety when you know as soon as we're in the half court somebody's running the exact same pick and roll action from the top. He'll probably need to hire a coach who has chops on the offensive end if he doesn't get more inspiration himself tbh.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is A +++ not an option? Insert Ralphie gif here

DreamShook likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A- high B+ Ime's offense is ass, but holding players accountable and building culture and running a defense with Sengun at center... There was a time under Silas people on this website thought the kids were un-coachable. No coach would be able to turn it around.

nm A++

High grade for Ime even though I thought he was basketball coach messiah. expectations were high (for me). He hasn't meet my high expectations (yet),

but still a high grade.

impressive.

ime runs some weird lineups sometimes.

THANK YOU IME FOR BEING MY COACH!!

[​IMG]

#13 DreamShook, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    ElPigto and kubli9 like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I was torn between an A- and a B - ultimately went with the A- because he was handed a real flaming pile a **** to try to make work this season. The team looks reasonably competent but obviously still has a lot more work to do. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt with the A- work assuming a lot of the struggles you see from Jalen, Alpi, Jabari, etc are still remnants of being poorly coached under Silas.

....bottom line, the team is starting to have an identity and a culture and those aren't things that you can just install over night so big kudos to Ime for getting that in place so quickly.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

A-

Very appreciative of his culture reset and toughness. I think he's kinda overplayed his vets and the rotations are weird sometimes but he's done quiet the reset this season. I'd like to see him raise his hand too, accept some of the blame for shortcomings but all in all a pretty solid 1st season.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The perception of Udoka is irreversibly skewed by our suffering under Silas.

AroundTheWorld and jim1961 like this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

B or B+. I like his control over the roster. I like that he's not a beta cuck like Ime. I like that he wants to improve our youngsters. Gives Cam, Tari and Amen minutes but he is unable to see how Tate sabotages us and i don't like our offense. Role players like Holiday have incredibly long leashes for some weird reason. Our offense is still heavily dependent on one or two guys. If Sengun ***** the bed we lose the game. If Fred doesn't shoot well lose. Despite all that we can stay competitive till the end thanks to our defense. I like him a lot.

19. kpdark

kpdark Member

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Dozens of guys would have seemed great, at first, after Silas, but the mid-tier level coaches available at the time would have floundered way before now in terms of wins and reputation. That level of a coaching hire loses us at least 4-6 games IMO.
    Can you imagine still not having 20 wins at this point?

The g.a.r.m. would even be more brutal than it is now (if thats posssible).

Easy likes this.