1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Government shutdown to build the border wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 23, 2017.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The first rule of shadow government...

2. zksb09

zksb09 Member

The wall is aimed at reducing the number of US-Mexico illegal border crossings. These are at a 17 year low. Do you still think it is worth shutting down the government for this?

#22 zksb09, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    FranchiseBlade and el gnomo like this.
  3. conquistador#11

Trump should just claim he's built the world's first invisible wall using new technology, then hire actors to run towards pseudo invisible wall and have them all fall down collectively. His base would buy it.
    and it can be done,

get these guys to train the actors, my manu and harden double flop video didnt post from my samsung=(

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Anticope

Anticope Member

It's 2017 and building a freaking wall is the primary idea from the president on how to crack down on illegal immigration, it's a great example of how ignorant Trump and (primarily) his base is. More illegals come into the US now from overstaying their visas, not sprinting across the Mexican border, but that doesn't make as good of a chant for idiots at rallies.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And what does this have to do with Trump threatening government shutdown for a border wall?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have read a lot of criticism.

Criticism is not a plan.
    Criticism is not a solution.

Mexico does not want to co-operate with the U.S.? Fine.
    Americans not wanting to support our country? Unacceptable.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is serious. You know I just took my family there for vacation and I lost count of how many times we got murdered. Decapitated and had our heads buried more than a couple of times.

Less flip but the same old saw: Yes, Mexico has a drug cartel and violence problem. It's caused by our drug demand and exacerbated by our loose gun laws. It is a problem for the United States. We can help Mexico by more effectively addressing our drug addiction problem, by improving Mexican prosperity with robust trade and investment, by creating a sensible immigration policy that accommodates our demand for Mexican workers, and by deepening our relationships with the Mexican government and cooperating and coordinating more with them on interdiction. But, we instead plan to build a wall. If you are genuinely and sincerely concerned about cartel violence, which we should all be, forget this stupid nonsense of just locking all the Mexicans out. It won't work and it won't make anything better.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is that some sort of joke?

9. JuanValdez

@Cohete Rojo, btw, we did have a great time in Mexico and did not get murdered even one time. People were very friendly. I was surprised driving in Mexico City traffic (which I only had to do a little bit of). It gets super-packed and drivers have really tight tolerances -- they'll come within an inch of hitting you just to advance a couple of feet -- and they seem to regard stop signs as ornamental, but they were somehow also friendly drivers. They'd always make way and wave me in when I needed to get over. It's weird to see drivers simultaneously aggressive and friendly. It's a world-class city and it's so damn close. Cheaper and faster to get to from Houston than California -- I took Southwest for I think $250/ticket and it was 2.5 hour flight -- and there is no jet lag. Because it's in a high valley, the weather there is great and the countryside is beautiful. Their subway works great; sites and restaurants are cheap. More Houstonians should go.

RocketWalta and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. hlcc

hlcc Member

Building a wall is not an effective plan
    Building a wall is not a solution.
    American's not wanting to build a wall does not mean they don't support the country.

dmoneybangbang, Yung-T and el gnomo like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Those obstructionist Dims aRe DESTROYING AMERICA !1111111

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Wall is not so much a practical barrier as it is basically a form of monument to Trump and Trumpists, much like those Confederate monuments that these people love so much.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. JuanValdez

o_O Why would that be a joke? You want Mexicans to not be prosperous? It's not a zero sum game. Trade is beneficial for both parties. Investment is beneficial for both parties. Having a strong economy in Mexico means more prosperity for Americans.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You're slow aren't you. Twice have you failed to grasp people's points. Take a seat junior.

16. MexAmercnMoose

i love Mexico City, haven't had a problem there...i visit a couple of times a year, i still have a lot of family nearby...haven't been decapitated...same thing for Cancun...i agree on your take, with SW flights being so cheap, more Americans should visit Mexico City...great weather and food...and the women...take it from a structural engineer, the wall is a waste of money...

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I find it amazing that people still fall for the wall as a serious attempt to solve some real issues, when the transcript of the conversation between Trump and Pena Nieto show that it's all about politic.

- Trump begged (I mean negotiated) with Mexican president to STOP saying he won't pay for the wall. Just look horrible for him.
    - Trump said he's in a political bind since Mexico isn't paying for the wall
    - Trump said the wall is the LEAST important thing, but the most important political thing

Dup'd.

dmoneybangbang and JeffB like this.
  18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Because the Mexican women can knock it down with a swing of their hips?

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

To be fair, the absolute best you could get for such training would be Nowitzki. ;)

20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?