1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google+ to compete against Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Jun 28, 2011.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Not in the Corporate world...

Blackberry is still alive simply because of all the enterprise set ups...

Also BBM is HUGE in the middle east an asia.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

Yep, my whole family overseas uses BBM.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Sigh, I hate their Enterprise setup's. Yeah I know it's not completely dead but it should IMO. I work in IT so I have to deal with stupid BIS and BES

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yep, I used to do that when I did IT consulting... Its nice to have the control over company mobile devices. You just can't do that with any other setup.

Ive been at companies that used Windows Mobile as their enterprise setup. such a fail...

Right now, I am on the user side and I was given a blackberry, and the new 6.0 software that was so hyped up is a POS... I was really hoping blackberry would buy palm and implement webOS somehow...

5. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Trust me, I know.

Mostly have it for development purposes. Probably could switch to Android (which I'd prefer from a consumer standpoint), but makes it easier to develop for the device if I actually own/use one.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Delete

#487 juicystream, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Sent.

#488 Rockets R' Us, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. opticon

opticon Member

Got it! You sir are full of win!

10. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

anyone with an extra invite - never really used facebook and maybe i'll start this from scratch
    pdani@hcpnv.com
    thanks

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Thanks LongTimeFan.

#491 London'sBurning, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

^^sent one to both of you.

1 person likes this.
  13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Bump for some more nice Chrome extensions.

Plus Minus
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pidkbnhjgdngcfcaikoocdanfijkgdli
    This does a few nice things, but by far, the one I like the most is the ability to customize the Circles that populate your default steam. That's exactly what I was complaining about earlier, but turns out a Chrome extension solves the problem (though Google still needs to implement this natively IMO...seemingly not too difficult to implement). Also lets you shrink/expand posts and a couple of other nice tweaks.

Usability Boost for Google Plus
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dkcppcocablbakkaboahjmljpodddkcp
    This isn't as big of a deal, but it tweaks the styling a little bit (gray background, fixes the top bar, etc.). I think there are some other extensions that do similar things, but this is what I'm using.

I also have a semi-related extension called Cloud Save:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/omiekjeapoonbhiemenfoccbdpeagdah
    Not really a G+ extension (I started using it a little while before G+ was announced IIRC), but I found myself using it more as I used G+. As the name implies, it basically lets you save things to the Cloud (e.g., right click on picture -> save -> [pick cloud service]). These include services like Picasa, Google Docs, Amazon Cloud Drive, Flickr, and lots more (seriously...their menus get complicated just because of how many options there are). I've found myself saving pictures I like on the Internet (which I'd do anyway locally, although now I can share across computers), and with G+ integrating with Picasa, they can (kind of) show up in my G+ account. Although they get put in a private folder I believe. Not sure if I can change this (or would want to), but if I want to share any of those pictures, not much more work. Maybe in a future update, there can be some way to set an option to share pictures as you save/find them.

I guess I never really looked into it for Facebook, but I'm really surprised at the quality of G+ Chrome extensions. They make for a much better experience (and the experience was already better than Facebook IMO). Curious to see how things turns out over time, especially as Google opens it up and more people get involved (both developers and users).

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I went into my Google account and tried the Google Plus registration for the hell of it, just to get a feel.

To my surprise didnt know it actually went open to the public today. No invite needed.

Biggest issue so far, not enough users.

Other than that I DO I see the potential there.

It can potentially "kill" or yank away big from a few things like Facebook, more than likely Twitter & Skype.

I do agree its tech pundits and early adopters & developers (GEEKS) driving up the early hype that really regular people don't care anything about (just the truth). BUT my standard is if Google+ actually happened first and Facebook was the competitor, would I go to Facebook? I don't think so.

#494 Shroopy2, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It's an all in one, I like it.

16. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Sorry Google+ but Facebook Timelines just kicked your ass.

I wasn't a big fan of Facebook Timeline during the keynote announcement but once I switched over and played with it, I think it is pretty damn good.

17. VanityHalfBlack

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

Thanks man, many reps to you!!!:)