1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google+ to compete against Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

What do you guys think? Any chance this can get close to what Facebook is today?

I think it's really creative, but it'll have problems catching on....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/google-launches-all-out-social-networking-assault-with-google/

[​IMG]

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwnJ5Bl4kLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N8gvHaX1cwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's the over/under on it being shut down by Google and pissing a lot of people off? :grin:

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yet another way to turn yourself into a commodity.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One to two years.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know that search engine thingy is working out pretty well so far..
    I just got an email from google about this today.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I bet the beta version of this has a shutdown date around, I dunno, early or mid-April.

Is there any way to short, not a whole company, but, just the part tied to really, really stupid idea?

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be taking my talents to Google+

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm sorry but Google suck at everything. Just stick with the web searcher engine.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Nope it wont work.

Google already tried with its social networking site, Orkut. It failed in every country except India and Brazil (not sure why those countries decided to use it). There's no reason why it would work this time around. Facebook killed myspace because it was just a better looking product. There's no reason to think that google's new website would be a huge leap over facebook.

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Anyone remember Google Wave?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Google has failed at most things they try and this will likely fail too. I wish them well because I probably would be defined by most people as anti-Facebook.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The only thing google makes money on is search and advertising. I think microsoft is making more money off android than google if you don't count the search and advertising.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Looks stupid

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There is no way that those people with 1000+ friends on Facebook are going to want to start all over again, those people tend to add a bunch of people they barely know or met just once in their life. They won't want to join a new social networking site and see their precious friend counts dwindle.

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Seems to have some nice features. I'll probably give it a shot. Hopefully Facebook implements some of the things, so worst comes to worst, at least social networking becomes better thanks to this.

As far as this taking on Facebook...yeah, good luck with that. Even if it is better, can't see it being easy to convince people to switch. Maybe with some good integration with their other products, it will help. But then again, I know next to nothing about how this whole social networking business works. I was on MySpace way too long, and I just have a Facebook account so I can make corny jokes that only my mom likes.

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I bid Google good luck. I don't think it'll catch on, much like Buzz didn't, but at the very least it drives some additional innovative ideas for Facebook to chew on and match.

I like the idea of grouping people so statuses only go to certain groups; I'd love that on Facebook. The cloud convenience is nice as well, but it's mostly the same as on Facebook except it's a bit less manual with the mobile integration. That mobile integration is really the only foothold Google might have to get some traction against Facebook, though.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I just created a profile, the interface seems slick and I do like it better than Facebook, if you are a Google person you will love this, integration with mail, calendar, contacts, etc.

I gotta say I am impressed by the potential that this brings, no longer do I have to have multiple pages open, I can get everything on Google, my mail, social networking, google search etc.

This is a strong offering from Google imo, but Facebook is too entrenched, too many users on it that I don't think it can compete. Facebook has become really bloated and I would rather use this product (in the few mins I've looked around it).

I give it about a 10% shot that this overtakes Facebook, which is extremely high considering how big facebook is.

19. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Facebook= Girls spamming with Lil Wayne quotes.

Kill it.

1 person likes this.
  20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

You know that there was Myspace before Facebook right?