1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldManBernie, Nov 20, 2007.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I didn't realize that people eat squirrels... I'm Chinese, and I practically eat everything, but squirrels?

Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071030/od_afp/usanimalsgastronomyoffbeat_071030183620

NEW YORK (AFP) - Squirrel eaters in the US state of New Jersey have been told that the bushy-tailed rodents are likely safe to eat, after earlier being advised the unlikely delicacies could contain toxic metals.

The Environmental Protection Agency said earlier this year it had discovered high levels of lead in a squirrel taken from near a waste dump in the Ringwood area and advised people to eat the rodents no more than twice a week.

Officials have now said the test results were an error.

"A blender that was used to process the tissues into usable samples was defective and was identified as the source of the lead contamination," the Environmental Protection Agency said in a statement dated Monday.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife describes squirrel as "good table fare," offering recipes for squirrel chowder, stew and barbecue.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My dad always tells me that his step-dad used to gather his squirrel roadkill and have his wife cook it for dinner.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have eaten squirrel.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do they taste like chicken? :p

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

one of my favorite memories of being a kids was squirrel hunting with my grandpa

Squirrels taste good but they are a b**** to clean

8. bladeage

I was attacked by a squirrel once when I was about 4. I was standing next to a tree, admiring the squirrel then suddenly BAM! it goes straight for my neck and scratches the hell out of it. Hurt bad for a couple of days. Since then I have been slightly scared of them, I used to shoot them with my bb gun when I was about 9.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

"Naaaaw Them's Goood Eatin!!!!"

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hmmm; I thought we had a deal with the squirrels.

11. bladeage

Well that squirrel broke the Non-Agression Pact.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Did the squirrel look like this?

[​IMG]

13. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

EW GROSS!!

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I eat everything but squirrel. No roadkill in my diet.

15. bladeage

no it looked like this..
    [​IMG]

16. Buck Turgidson

True, true and true.

And frankly, we need to get them before they get us:

Mountain View Community Services Director David Muela said...that the attacks have become more ferocious in the last month.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/9946298/detail.html?rss=bay&psp=news

Squirrels briefly kill power in 2 cities

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120/ap_on_fe_st/odd_squirrel_outages

A kamikaze squirrel fell from the sky and detonated a Bayonne woman's car yesterday, police said today.

"The squirrel chewed through the wire, was set on fire, fell down directly to where the car was," Tony Millar said. "The squirrel, on fire, slid into the engine compartment and blew up the car. They're always coming around here."

http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow/index.ssf/2007/10/flaming_squirrel_ignites_car_i.html

BERLIN (Reuters) - An aggressive squirrel attacked and injured three people in a German town before a 72-year-old pensioner dispatched the rampaging animal with his crutch.

The squirrel first ran into a house in the southern town of Passau, leapt from behind on a 70-year-old woman, and sank its teeth into her hand, a local police spokesman said Thursday.

With the squirrel still hanging from her hand, the woman ran onto the street in panic, where she managed to shake it off.

The animal then entered a building site and jumped on a construction worker, injuring him on the hand and arm, before he managed to fight it off with a measuring pole.

"After that, the squirrel went into the 72-year-old man's garden and massively attacked him on the arms, hand and thigh," the spokesman said. "Then he killed it with his crutch."

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL1432171020070614?feedType=RSS&rpc=22

Oh, and pirc: they taste more like rabbit.

17. WildSweet&Cool

I have never eaten squirrel. I wouldn't mind tasting it.

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

ROXRAN alert!!!

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Squirrel stew is some good stuff. My dad used to bring me squirrel hunting occasionally as a kid.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was about to say. didn't there used to be a running deal with ROXRAN and squirrel eatin?