1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News for Astros Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2946077

"It's a fit issue," Purpura said. "If you go get Moises and then get Beltran, you've got (Jason) Lane to play until (Lance) Berkman comes back (from knee surgery). But when Berkman comes back, that's the problem."

Biggio is not mentioned as an outfielder!!!! That could be because Alou is a left fielder, but I'm hoping this signals a move back to the infield or bench for Biggio when Berkman returns. A stick like Biggio's on the bench would be nice.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Beltran is going to break our team next year.

We've already lost Kent to save money and Berkman to injury for at least a month.

I could see the Cubs giving Sosa to NY for nothing just so they could have the money to sign Beltran. Then Beltran goes to the Cubs.

Now Roger sees we have no chance to even make the playoffs w/o Beltran and Kent, he retires.

Posednick already got traded to the ChiSox, so much for more speed.

By the time we realize Beltran was waiting for the Cubs to dump Sammy, we've missed out on every other free agent.

We also haven't done anything to help out our hidious bullpen from losing more games for us.

BTW, i really hope i'm wrong!:(

3. mulletman

mulletman Member

are you kidding?!?!:p

the bullpen improved a 150% the minute the astros let go of dan miceli ....

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the sky is falling!!!!

when we sign beltran, your worries will melt away.

and then we can pursue the journeymen who make up middle relief in MLB.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Alou, for the right price, would be nice, but I just don't see it...he still wants coin and it just won't work...

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Alou is nice but Posednik will be tter but that is a longer shot.

Whatever happens, sign Beltran first and hopefully move Backe + Jason Lane (since they lost Dye) for Hudson.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Podsednik has already been traded to the White Sox,

Keep dreaming.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I would love to Have Alou back. Man, that would be a nice fit to Beltran and Berkman in the OF.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I heard on the Radio that Popura did meet with Alou's agent but that he wasn't going to offer anything right now and that it would be slim chance becuase of the money he is going to be asking for.

That would limit the chances for them in the Beltran race. If we lose out pretty soon on the Beltran deal and Alou is available i am sure they will go after him.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

How is that going to happen since our core players are signed long-term ( Beltran, Berkman, & Oswalt) and the other players we have control of (Backe, Everett, Lidge, Burke, etc) aren't going anywhere. Don't forget the vets who will be here for on or more years( Pettitte, Clemens, Bags etc)

What kind of team would the Cubs have if they traded Sosa for nothing and did not resign Alou? Would that be appealling to Beltran? No hitting, decent starting pitching, crappy bullpen wityh NO closer. That does not sound like the cotending team that Beltran said he wanted to be on.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Oswalt and Berkman are not signed longterm yet. They are both in line for a tremendous raises.

12. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

So the Astros are going to get Alou and Beltran?

so what would the lineup look like with those two ,and Berkman back ?

I dont get it...

13. redgoose

Beltran is signed long term with nobody exept Boras. Lance's contract is coming to an end as well. Oswalt and Clemens are up for arbritration and will both be getting hefty pay raises.

In case you misunderstood me, I meant if we don't sign Beltran this team is doomed because he's been dangling us on a string all Summer while other teams are making moves left and right.

Everett and Burke aren't going anywhere because thir offense is atrosious. Burke and Lane have slightly above potential, nothing i'd build a team around. All you get out of Everett is excellent fielding but with a low OBP%. But they're not gonna win any batting titles in their lifetime and contribute very little next year.

What i'm saying is w/o Beltran, this team is screwed. We've already missed out on some big name free agents that can help make up for Beltran. But it seems by the time Scott Boras makes up his mind, they'll all be gone.

Then have a nice look at our opening day roster and tell me where we'll finish.

14. redgoose

Alou is backup for if we don't get Beltran. But most likely Alou will make up his mind before Beltran does, therefore we won't be able to sign him.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Everett is still young and improving. Made big strides last year pre-injury, and I expect more this year. I think he'll be a very solid 2 hitter for a while.

Already calling Burke's offense atrocious? A bit pre-emptive, to say the least. I guess if you were running the team, young players who weren't MVP's in the minors aren't ever gonna be good? Let's go sign a million vets.

16. redgoose

No, i don't plan on playing Met's GM where you sign the oldest ex all stars possible. What i am saying is our offense is going downhill fast and everyone can see it. Especialy after Kent going to LA, Bagwell not being able to hit 30 HR's anymore, and Biggio's consistent decline.

I do like Burke alot. Don't get me wrong. But can you honestly predict he will have an immediate impact that sparks this team within the next few years? It takes people longer to adjust nowadays. Unless your just a freak like Albert Pujols.

I say these things because our time to win is now. We won't be able to hold this pitching staff down for much longer. Many players are due raises soon plus the backloaded contracts we have. The window is shutting and i think this could be our last year for awhile. We've been competing at a very high level for a long time now. This isn't basketball where 8 teams make the playoffs every year.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I honestly don't know what brought about the doomsday (this year or bust) scenario... but lets take a closer look.

Oswalt and Backe (if they stay healthy) have a chance to be Astro-lifers. Lidge as well. They'll be signed to extensions whenever their time comes up... backloaded, frontloaded, whatever... if their performance dictates it, Houston will show them money.

Pettite and Miller are wild cards who could either be gone within two years, or play the remainder of their career here.

Also, the minor league system will bounce back for this team within 2-3 years. Its dry now, because we promoted Oswalt, Lidge, Miller, Redding, Hernandez, Everett, and Burke... but these things run in cycles.

The players we drafted within the last 2 years will all be knocking on the door soon... those include Troy Patton (a nice looking lefty) and Mitch Einertson (OF). Read-up on them if you haven't heard.... but from what everybody sees now, they'll most definitely be major leaguers.

Everyday players to build around: Lance Berkman, Lance Berkman, and Lance Berkman. But seriously, Everett, Lane, and Ensberg make up a nice core of the lesser-tier everyday players... not stars, but very serviceable... and would challenge for a starting job on most teams.

You still have holes at catcher and CF (if Beltran does not re-sign). Nobody knows about Willy Tavares... he could provide the high average, speed, and defense that would be IDEAL to this team. Remember... they play half their games in MMP, where I could hit a home run.... so power-hitting is not going to make much of a difference whether or not they win or lose (since most players can jack it out of here). Average and speed will.

Also, this could be a make-or-break year for Hector Jiminez... he was on the fast-track in this system, and many thought he was better than John Buck, but he had a down-here (offensively) at Round Rock. If he rebounds, he's our catcher of the future.

You said it yourself... we've been competing at a very high level for a long time now... and the ONLY constants all those years was Bagwell and Biggio (I say constants just in their presence... because neither of them have carried the team the last 4 years).

We haven't been doing it with smoke and mirrors... its been a combination of player development, signing a few free agents here and there, and some big trades.... and excuse me for not thinking this is our last year ever (for awhile) if we don't go out and make a huge splash this offseason.

#17 Nick, Dec 16, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nick -- you may be my new favorite poster.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

... just lookin out for the true fans.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking... why would he wanna go to the Cubs? They're perrenial losers... and now whiney *ss b****es to boot. See last year as a prime example. If he really wants to go to a consistently contending team, then it's either Yankees or Astros, and not a team who's only been to the playoffs just 2 times in the past 10 years.