1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News and Bad News (Trade??)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 2, 2004.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Just talked to my buddy and this is what I have - Steve said to him, "You know this is it for me? I'm outta here?" That is a FACT!! That WAS said and it is verbatim!! That's, I guess, good news AND bad news depending on your preference.

From what he hears, and this was verbatim - "I heard Pete, Jalen and a pick. I also heard Charlotte for the #1" My friend then said that they have the #4 not the #1. Steve said, "I meant their 4. Charlotte wouldn't be bad!"

What my friend added was that the thinking was the trade would be for Steve PLUS a bad contract if it was to Charlotte. Steve didn't say that, my buddy did and he heard that from another guy. Again, I can't say their position on the basketball side even though they probably do not read the board anyway.

So that's what I've heard and I would have to say it sounds very solid. As for the teams involved, I don't know. I assume that others will get in the mix but my buddy said that they don't think that they'll can get as much as they want. The fact remains that Steve DID say that 'I'm outta here.'

That's all I have now - but will have more later. If one of my guys leaves the team, he'll give up quite a bit.

There is no hidden meaning, no riddle, and no rhyme. That's what I was told VERBATIM....or was I??? (J/J)

:p

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

wow. It begins.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can Clutch put up a countdown of how many days until tip-off?

4. TL

TL Contributing Member

:(

who's pete?

edit: mo pete. nevermind.

#4 TL, May 2, 2004
    Last edited: May 2, 2004
  5. Relativist

First off, Doc. Thank you, as always. Your absence has been sorely missed, and it's refreshing to get news, particularly this offseason where it's clear that changes will be made.

So you're saying that Steve feels pretty sure he's going to be traded, and has heard two possibilities:

1) Toronto for Jalen Rose, Mo Pete and their lottery pick. Funny, some of us were just talking with MacBeth in another thread about dealing with the Raptors.

2) Charlotte for #4 overall. Am I to understand that Charlotte would take Stevie AND a bad contract like Taylor/Cato/Weatherspoon? Wow.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pete=Morris Peterson. Toronto is currently slotted 8th, unless they leapfrog into the top 3. That could get us a PG like Gordon or Harris or a PF That'd certainly thicken up our swing positions- perhaps moving Mobley as well? We'd still have JJax, Peterson, Rose, Pike, and Nachbar.

As for Charlotte...they have complete control over the contracts they take. If we wanted we could have them take Francis in exchange for the pick, take a player off our team (Spoon?), or have them take someone that was left unprotected that we want, and make a trade that way (though, why a team would leave someone unprotected is another question).

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

i'll believe it when I sees it.

8. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Trading Francis would be a huge mistake. Man are you guys crazy, we wouldnt have even made the playoffs without him. We wouldnt have won a game in the playoffs if it wasnt for him. This guy is still young. Hes never been to the playoffs, everyone has messed up even freakin KOBE BRYANT!!!!!! He is the reason Houston is a playoff team. The only way we trade him is for an impact player. Tmac, or Kobe. No one else really should even be thought of. Steve is a superstar we cant get crap in return. If there is anyone we should trade its CUTTINO!!!!!!!

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

The proposed Toronto trade:

1) Obviously depends on the Raps staying about where they should pick; of they got into the top 3, doubt they'd do it.

2) That said, very interesting. It has been assumed that we use the pick on a 1, but Rose while not a pure point, might make a pretty good one for a Yao centered offense. If so, use the 8th ( about) on a pf, then you've got a a really flexible lineup. Additionally, the Raps played a JVG type of system this year, so Rose and Peterson are accustomed. I have long thought that Peterson would fit in really well here.

3) Maybe it could be extended to include Cato + going that way, Marshall coming this way. With Francis, Carter, and Bosh, the Raps might be in a bteer position to gamble on a the no-scoring Cato at the 5.

Houston: C) Yao
    PF) Marshall
    SF) Rose
    SG) Mobley
    PG) Gordon/Harris

Off the bench: JJ, MoPete, etc.

That's pretty potent, deep, and what's more, pretty well suited to the inside out game.

Toronto:

C) Cato
    PF) Bosh
    SF) Carter
    SG) Williams
    PG) Francis

Toronto lacks depth, but that's 3 pretty solid youngish talents ( Bosh, Carter, Francis) to build around, and might be ieal in an up tempo game that Francis loves. Additionally, for the first time in his career, he would have no illusions about being The Man, which might make things easier for him.

As I say, interesting.

10. Relativist

A trade of

Francis
    Cato
    Nachbar

for

Rose
    Marshall
    Peterson

would work. At first, I didn't see how Steve would work on the Raptors, and I still have doubts, but a core of Vince, Bosh and Francis would be one of the most exciting trios in the NBA.

#10 Relativist, May 2, 2004
    Last edited: May 2, 2004
  11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Another option is to use the 8th on a pf. Rose, while not suited, IMO, as a point in a point oriented offense might be ideal in an inside out one. He doesn't hog the ball, can hit the shot, and has better playmaking instincts than SF. That would give us a pretty big backcourt.

12. daNasty

daNasty Member

Mo Pete and Jalen Rose and a draft pick for Stevie? I would take it IF the Raptors are in the first 3 Draft pick. With addition of MoP and Rose, this team aint goint to make the playoff and CD or whoever make this decision trade should be shot. But Raptors aint giving up their top draft pick if is within the top 3.

I don't know why Raptors want with Stevie. They need a big man but maybe with Stevie they will get their big man.

13. Houstone

Houstone Member

Ugh, Rose? I don't think he would fit, and his contract is pretty big, this Raptors deal blows IMO.

14. Summer Song Giver

This is crap, I hope Steve does not know what he's talking about.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well they would have Carter and Steve and Bosh. Not a bad nucleus. They are thinking this makes them a contender.

What is Jalen Rose's contract situation? It looks like the Rockets aren't looking to acquire a superstar like T-Mac or Allen, and instead are trying to re-build around Yao Ming.

16. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

wow this is freakin huge! i'm not sure whether to be happy or not, but if Francis is sayin' that he is gonna go, there must be something going on. thanks doc!

17. daNasty

daNasty Member

sorry MacBeth, I'm from Toronto myself and Jalen ROse and MoPete totally suck. I don't know why Houston would risk an unknown draft pick. Look for Jay Williams as an example. Ok, JW might not be a good example since he didn't have a second year chance to prove himself but it's risky to go for a draft choice.

What I would think is that IF this does fall through, watch Houston to trade the Draft pick for a veteran or good PG or PF.

18. Sane

Sane Member

So are we to assume that Francis has been told by SOMEONE that he's a goner, and that CD has already began negotiating with Toronto (is that legal?)?

I believe Francis said that. But I believe things can change and the team could change they're mind.

It's absolutely wonderful to have this information though.

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Jalen Rose is not a major contributor on a championship team.

Where's my top-level power forward?

However, I've liked Mo Pete since he was at MSU.

I'll pass.

Of course, if Rose and Mobley can be parlayed into a bruising PF, I might be interested. But then who runs the point?

And don't tell me you think Rose can run the point on a championship team.

20. Sane

Sane Member

If that draft pick is around #5, we could easily land a well established player by packaging it with either the TE of MoT.