1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GM game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mickey_angelo, May 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I'm sure we all do it. Pretend/think we know what is best for our favorite team, always making suggestions on who they should draft, sign, or trade for. With that in mind, how about we play a game. Pick a team(you can post multiple times, but you only make decisions for one team at a time) and formulate your off season plan. Say who would draft/target in draft, sign as FA, or trade for. After each post we can discuss/dissect each of our plans...

2. RocketMania1991

Hey guys! I used to be a big Rocket fan but over the last half season or so I've really come a fan of the New York Knicks, the up-tempo offense is so fun to watch, lots of points scored.

What I personally think is best for our club is listed below.

#1 Priority, resign two time scoring champ Tracy Mcgrady, im a number cruncher and anyone who can put up points the way he can deserves a deal. top five highest scoring average in playoff history ? Sounds like a winner to me.

#2 My second move would be to sign Dirk Nowitzki, a proven winner and one of the toughest players in the NBA. He's been part of 11 straight 50 win seasons ? Once again i'm a numbers guy and that screams a max contract for at least eight years.

#3 Thirdly I would keep the core of Al Harrington and David Lee together, those two have proven they can co-exist and create great fantasy points together.

I'll post my next moves shortly.

3. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Always been a bit partial to the Knicks in recent years myself(Rockets are still my favorite team, but I think I grew a soft spot for the Knicks because they have been so bad for so long now).

1. I think the first thing I would do was attempt to purchase a late 1st round pick. This would depend on Sherron Collins'(currently I think he is a 2nd rounder but might go early because of lack of PGs) predraft workouts. NY is in need a PG and there aren't many in this draft. Other draft targets in the 2nd round: Jarvis Varnado, Mikhail Torrance, and Aubrey Coleman

2. After two years of selling a dream to the fans I would have no choice but to pursue LBJ and DWade. I would give either the chance to pick who they want as their 2nd max player. If both decline I would make an offer to Amare, but would not go all out to sign him.

3. This is where things get interesting, failing to accomplish plan a or b I'm forced to actually build an actual team rather than just throwing stars together. FA Players I would pursue that I feel would help the team and fit into what NY is trying to do: Randy Foye-a combo guard, Kyle Lowry-PG that would push the tempo and is looking for a starter job, Shaun Livingston-hoping he can still fulfill potential and has gotten over injuries, Channing Frye-shooting bigman that plays Dantoni's style, Hakim Warrick-PF that can run the floor and protect the rim, and Udonis Haslem-banger can step out hit midrange

4. Try to retain DLee on the cheap(cheap considering what he probably wants) or work out a s&t and get something in return

5. On the trade front I would shop Eddie Curry's contract plus either Gallinari or Wilson Chandler. Unlikely I'd get any offer until mid season, but would likely make a run for someone like Andre Iguodala

Thoughts?

4. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I am going to shoot for what I think the team with the most potential is to make the biggest turn around, the Nets. They have solid pieces in Harris, Terrence Williams, Courtney Lee, Brook Lopez. They have a market that will get huge with a rich owner and new stadium in brooklyn a couple years away. They have the money and the reasons to be there.

In the Draft I go with Turner, devin harris is young, with the right contract and turner is a peice that can compliment any team and contribute in many ways. I go for bosh in the free agency and try to trade Yi for a defensive minded sf who can shoot and spread the court for Bosh and Battier type glue guy. Get a solid defensive coach, perhaps a van gundy.

Devin Harris, Evan Turner, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Brook Lopez....Van gundy as the coach

I like it, solid team to compete in the east, bigs to compete anywhere in the west.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I will play along because i watch the league as a whole. I am the gm of the hornets. Why the hornets? They have a franchise player in paul, good players in okefor and west and a great looking young guy in collison.

I'm calling Dumars because I know he wants to get rid of rip very badly. Paul,west, and okefor are under contract for at least 3 more years. West is 30,okefor 28,and paul 25. I am trading peja(expiring),peterson(expiring) and the prospect(collison) for Rip and Prince. I have to go all in and win it within this 3 year window. Rip gives the hornets the catch and shooter off screens they miss since peja went out like a ho as he always do. Prince adds the long defender who can do a little of everything. Both are normally injury free and are great team guys. Now what the hornets have is paul-west-rip-prince-okefor as a starting 5. Still possessing the mle and lle, the hornets need a 4/5,backup pg and maybe a scorer off the bench aside from thornton.

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Though I'm a fan of Evan Turner's game, I think the Nets already have a SG/SF that can handle the ball in Terrance Williams. I think if they miss out on Wall in the draft they could shore up the front line with either Cousins or Favors. Just my thoughts

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

That actually sounds like a real good plan, but I'm not sure Collison can net the Hornets both Prince and Rip. Dumars still sees Rip as the the ultimate professional and I'm not sure he would just give him up for peanuts. Same goes for Prince, who is Detroit's best player when healthy. I think NO would have to add something to the deal to get both.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm gonna do the impossible and be the gm of the philadelphia 76ers. Why? I like a challenge. Here's what I do:
    1) Trade Iguoldala and Dalembart to Bulls for Hinrich and Deng. Dalembart and Noah would be an awesome presence down low, Iguoldala more or less replaces Deng for the Bulls and they get rid of Hinrich who they no longer need because of Derrrick Rose. I now have a starting lineup of Young, Williams, Deng, Speights, and Brand.
    2)Try to find a suitor for Brand in exchange for ethier young or expiring players.
    3) Hire Avery Johnson as coach

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll come up with other ways to improve the team. Hey, Rome wasn't build in a day.

9. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Why would you want Deng to replace Iguodala when Iggy>Deng. Plus Dalembart is a) a center and b) an expiring contract. Iggy + Sam should get Philly more than two overpaid players

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hmmm... yes, don't quite know why I thought this was a good idea yesterday. Damn, the 76ers are tough. Don't know how I'll trade Brand and his massive contract, I could leave him in Philly but I think the 76ers are in a rebuild. I don't know, this team just ocnfuses me, they're rebuilding but not really, ugh I don't know :confused: :(

11. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I think the 76ers are stuck with Brand unless they want to give away their young prospects just to dump Brand

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

LA Lakers (since it's easy)

offer MLE for Kyle Lowry, + resign Fisher for the minimum.