1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Given today's news, will Yao and Francis be with this team in 3 years???.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce Rings, Jun 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Boy, if the Rockets are unwilling to match $5million/yr to hire a coach like Larry Brown, does anybody really believe that Les will shell out close to $100million each to Francis and Yao? I really don't see that happening. I think we're a year away from either a "trade Francis to keep Yao" or "trade Yao to keep Francis" controversy. Rockets fans mettle will be tested in the next few years.

2. CrazyJoeDavola

If Yao fulfills his potential, then why wouldn't he? He gave Francis, Taylor and Cato the max. I don't think he will skimp on Yao.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Francis still has 5 years left on his new deal i believe. Yao will get the max if he deserves it. The rockets are willing to spend money, they have shown that, Larry Brown won't be our coach, move on, it's not the end of the world

4. Deuce Rings

People who respond like the two posters above respond need to read the writing on the wall. My post was not me venting about the Rockets not getting Larry Brown. Today's news tells me that the Rockets history of spending money on free agents has come to an end. I think you need to accept reality.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Les is different than Drayton, Les cares about winning championships whereas Drayton only cares about winning divisions. Les will spend money on players. Yao Ming will be a Rocket for a long time.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yao: Yes
    Steve: No

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Do any of you really believe that we would not have matched Detroit's offer if we still didn't have to pay Rudy close to 6 million a year. If we had given Larry Brown 7 million a year, we would be paying coaches about 13 million a year for the next two years.

No team in any professional sports can afford to spend that much on a coach.

8. CrazyJoeDavola

Posts like this tell me people are overeacting to the whole Brown situation.

Your post was not you venting about the Rockets not getting Larry Brown, it was about you jumping to conclusions about future roster moves based on the Rockets not getting Larry Brown.

Everything will be ok people. Have a lil faith.

9. Deuce Rings

I agree with A-Train, the Rockets will go with the worldwide appeal of Yao over Francis if they decide not to keep both. I really do think this is a fair question to be asking given today's news. Stop throwing at me what Les did in the past. Obviously the past is over with and done. In the past Les was willing to spend money because for a few years, every decision the organization made was a good one. The past few years, Les has seen himself shell out big money for players like Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris. The man lost faith in his employees and given today's news I can only interpret it to mean that Alexander's days of spending money to win are over.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Funny when Les forks out cash to MoT, Cato, Moochie, etc, we all curse him for it. Now he decideds NOT to fork it over to a coach, all the sudden he's a cheapskate who doesn't want to win. :confused:

Besides, a lot can happen in 3 years. This bizzare week will be an ancient memory by then...hopefully a lot sooner.

11. Deuce Rings

I need something to put my faith in and the recent moves by this organization doesn't qualify. Those of you that want to take the leap from the lion's head, be my guest. Enjoy plummeting to your deaths.

12. Deuce Rings

You need a better example for your argument. I mean are you really praising the Rockets for spending money on Mo Taylor, and especially Kelvin Cato and Moocie Norris? Come on now. Those are stupid moves by management no matter how you slice it. You could make an argument for Taylor because he can score, but we invested a lot of money in a power forward that can't play defense or rebound. Fans should be very critical of those moves like they should start asking questions after today's news.

13. Deuce Rings

To conclude my previous post, I would like to add that accepting the foolish moves of the team you follow does not make you a "good fan". It makes you a sucker. And if you spend any money on this team's merchandise, it makes you even more of a sucker. Period.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you, I was going to write the exact same thing, stupid comparison.

15. CrazyJoeDavola

Plummeting to our deaths? lol

I guess we see things differently. I see Yao Ming and Steve Francis as one of the top talent combinations in the league and feel it will only be a matter of time (despite what coach we hire). before this team is a contender. I see a new arena. I see new uniforms. I am excited!

Darnit, its a hell of an exciting time to be a Rockets fan right now and half of you are acting like this franchise is plummeting to the debths of the Clippers because Larry Brown won't be our next head coach.

Find something to be happy about and if you can't, well there are 3 other NBA teams close to Houston that you can root for instead of us. ;)

16. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Money cant buy love. We need a coach who wants to come here.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hoooly Jeesus, I'm not suggesting that ANY of those moves were good! I'm just saying that Les isn't afraid to spend money on players, so why wouldn't he do the same for Yao and Francis in 3 years as the thread title suggests?

Touchy, touchy.

18. YaoMing

YaoMing Contributing Member

Deuce Rings.... It's all right there in plain text above. If you can not understand that... then your a moron. No doubt Brown is a great coach... but to spend that amount on coaches is ridiculous.

What he is doing... is exactly what you say he is not doing!!! He is saving his money to shell out to players like Yao and Francis!

Use your head before speaking!:mad:

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree...overreaction big time...to extrapolate out and say the Rockets won't be signing free agent players anymore because they wouldn't sign a coach to a ridiculous deal while still paying Rudy his big numbers....i think that's just silly.

the sky is falling!

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yao Ming Yes.