1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gil Meche on quitting: I Don't Deserve $12 Million

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by weslinder, Jan 27, 2011.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

hell yeah...its not as if the owner is not a billionaire that can't afford to pay his salary.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He already made 50 million. I am sure that because of his decision to retire, he now has to sell his house and live in a studio apartment.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

why does it matter what he already made? Say he has $25 mil in his bank/investments. He's giving up another $8 mil after taxes (just guessing at #'s)

Say you had $2 mil in the bank and were offered an extra $750k after taxes. Would you be willing to turn down something you were guaranteed in the name of "not feeling like it was justified" just because you have enough money already?

You can say what you want about the scale...but a lot of people could live their current lives till they die with $2 M in the bank. But I'm pretty sure most would take the extra $750k in that situation.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm all for integrity, and it's a good thing he did, but with his finances, it's not like he's going broke anytime soon because of it. The guy signed a business deal in which both parties knew he'd be getting paid no matter his performance (I guess), so he's not cheating anything. If he felt bad, just take the money and donate it to some charity like others have said. He wouldn't be accepting the money he doesn't think he deserves and would be donating it to a good cause.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think people who are talking about donating to charity and just keeping money are looking at it from afar. I don't believe Meche is a saint or a selfless person. Not sure what's the word to look for here though...

Basically, I think it was just a bad situation. The Royals have generally been really cheap, and in general their payroll's pretty low. Meche must've been one of the highest paid players. And his salary is likely hamstringing the GM from spending the money on players that can help. I think he feels guilty towards the team and his teammates that he's putting such a burden on them, while unable to do anything about it. Hence, the retirement, to free the team from his albatross of a contract, and potentially give his teammates a chance for a solid teammate(s) with the money saved.

IMO, if Meche were on the Yankees or the Red Sox, or even perhaps a middling team like the Astros, he would've just kept cashing his paychecks. But he had the unique circumstance of being that "big FA signing" for a bad team with a low payroll. So his lack of performance really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, just my thoughts on why such a weird decision.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In the eyes of the people paying him it isn't 12 million. Its a normal % of what a "regular" organization might pay an employee. He looked at it the wrong way. Stupid. In the NFL they'd put players to sleep like dogs if they could. Bidness is bidness. Thats the attitude you've gotta have no matter what side you're on.

7. Raven

Raven Member

He's going into politics, book it.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Players overestimate their abilities all the time, who's to say he's not underestimating his? He's made enough for this to not be completely irrational or irresponsible, I just hope there aren't bigger stress issues going on and that he's found something else to do with himself.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He'll be thrilled to know you don't think he should feel that way. :grin:

10. MadMax

I'm guessing he thought of that...but since it's ultimately his decision to make.....

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

clutchfans on the day cancer is cured:

**** you ******* for not curing it faster.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fatty FatBastard

No, that would be you. You are the one on here who just enjoys the hell out of figuring out which cuss words are still "ok."

Kinda like an 8 year old.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep. hey if you do something good but you aren't in a dire or desperate situation, it doesn't matter. Things are only legit if it's life or death--and you choose death.

14. MadMax

exactly. people will find a way to criticize virtually anything.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that was one hell of a burn, I NEED SOME ALOE!!!

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sadly, fixed.

(eerr... broken?)

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member