1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Off Cato's Back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElGrandeQueso, May 29, 2001.

1. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

While it is pretty obvious that Kelvin Cato isn't putting up good performances every night, get off the guy's back. It's not his fault the Rockets offered him such a fat contract. He had a money preseason game and the team was so impressed they shelled out 42 mil. Who could pass that up? He never possessed amazing talent, that potential was placed on him. Plus he's the only center the team has right now(some guy named Olajuwon is going through his mid-life crisis). So until Kelvin's gone or the Rocks find a new center, stop buggin on the "other" Cat.

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Take a chill pill man, I love Cato, everybody does, he has great potential.

3. Rockets in 01

Rockets in 01 Contributing Member

I think we'll all get off Cato when he stops playing like he is in the WNBA, until then he deserves everything due to his lack of determination and work ethic. Zan Tabak contributed more to the second championship team than lazy Cato.

------------------
    "Hakeem dusted my butt", Shaquille O'Neal regarding Hakeem in the 95 Finals

4. rock

rock Member

The thing is, Cato doesn't try. A guy getting payed that much should be out there playing his ass off instead of acting like a pansy. He gets payed top dollar for slacking off. The guy is pathetic and sucks royally. He deserves every bit of criticism he gets. What a poor excuse for a player...

------------------

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If Cato had loads of potential, but just didn't put and effort into his game, I could stomach the decision, because he might snap out of it.

If Cato had no potential, but still worked as hard as he could, I could stomach the contract, because he could be a valuable role-player.

But Cato has no potential, and doesn't work out there. I can't stomach that, because he'll be nothing more than deadweight. I'd rather have Serge Zwikker back.

Its the old argument, I prefer to hire someone who's smart and hard-working. But I'll take someone who's smart but lazy, or stupid but hard-working. But not Stupid and Lazy.

------------------
    This space currently being renovated. We apologize for the inconvenience.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited May 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited May 30, 2001).]

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Is that you, Kelvin? [​IMG]

------------------

7. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Let's send him to San Antonio. He'll fit in perfectly over there!

------------------

8. raww

raww Member

We will get off his back, when he gets off his ass and starts playing ball.

------------------
    RAWW
    Paid for by the Frudy T. Gin and Juice Daquari Factory.

9. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

You are wong people.

Cato does have a lot of potential. If Cato played with fire every game, he'd be a sure all star.

Cato, is a legitimate 7 footer. He is not a stick figure out there, he definatley has some muscle and weight on him.

And he does have a good 15 foot jump shot, a good turn around, and an awsome slam dunk shot.

The problem is that Cato probably thinks, "I've got my money, and If I could live off that pathetic 4% interest at the bank, I'd still be living like a millionaire the rest of my life, and the great grand childrens lives, etc.!

It's just a shame that Cato gives not thing for something he has. Isn't that called stealing. Well, no because the Rockets organization had the mentality that they scout the personality and characters of their players before they sign them to ridiculous contracts!! Note: Reference Matt Maloney!!

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Who are the "wong people" anyway?

No one is blaming Cato for the contract he has. He is being blamed for being a horrific player...an overpaid underachiever. It's his lack of effort and desire to improve that pisses everyone off.

You say he has a nice 15 footer? What player are you mistaking for Cato out there? His jump shot is terrible. Are you speaking of his free throws? That may be the only 15 footer I have seen him hit. Practice doesn't count.

Turnaround? Again, what are you watching?

Dunk shot? I have a nice dunk shot myself, but I don't play for the Rockets and I don't make 42 mil. What's your point? He is 6'10" or whatever....he should be able to dunk the ball.

Cato's potential will continue to be just that.....potential. Hopefully some other team will try to tap into this illusive quality. He hasn't worked out in Houston at all.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

11. Toast

Toast Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Cato prove himself next season.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I wouldnt mind seeing Cato grow some balls next season.

13. haven

haven Member

Actually, I *don't* like Kelvin Cato. I blame him for being a crappy basketball player, not having heart, and being injured all the time. Oh, and not working hard enough on improving his game. The guy's a lazy slug. He keeps on promising improvement, but never takes the effort to improve his game.

I don't "hate" him. Hating a basketball player other than Gary Payton or Latrell Spreewell is silly... but I really think he's worthless.

What virtues does he possess? A good body. That's it. The negatives are too numerous to count.

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

I think Kelvin Cato will reach his potential before Jason Williams, if only he was playing for the same contract.

------------------
    Liberals favor using artificial means to alter the normal to a state which facilitates and justifies how irresponsible they want to be

15. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Also, for those of you who are blaming Cato just because of his contract and non production, look at Erick Dampier of the Warriors. He's making similar money and not putting up much. It's not the players' faults for not producing but the NBA's for giving them enormous contracts.

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Your last statment is ludicrous. It's the league's fault for a player not producing? Are you nuts cheese boy? If your logic was, well, logical....Kevin Garnett would be the most worthless player in the league.

It doesn't matter what Dampier is doing in Golden State (although it is more than Cato has done for us). That doesn't make it OK for Cato to be dead weight.

I'd rather see Dampier suit up for us than Cato, just for the record.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited May 30, 2001).]

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"It's not the players' faults for not producing but the NBA's for giving them enormous contracts."
    Cato needs to learn something called self motivation. Most players play for the love of the game and play hard every night. Cato is a worthless peice of crap who COULD have been something.
    Just imagine putting Pig in his body. Pig busts his tail every chance he gets. Cato sits on the bwench and sulks or worse yet gets in the game and disappears.
    I would love to trade him for anything. Unfortunately it will be tough to trade a load of crap without getting a load of crap in return.

18. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Apparently, my statement was misinterpreted. What I was trying to say is that the NBA is giving players these crazy contracts(sometimes w/out reason) and they are being paid to live up to something which they are not. Kelvin Cato is not a 7 mil/year guy, period. The Rockets signed him for the focus of his game, defense(which he's not doing bad at), with the hope that he would develop some offensive skills. That hasn't happened. So is it fair to say that Cato is terrible just because the Rockets gambled on a big contract with him and he never evolved offensively, something he was never good at? If he was making 2 mil a year, would he be fine then?

------------------
    Mmm Queso.

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cato isn't "fine" in my book regardless what we are paying him. A worthless lug like that is bad for the team, the 7 mil. per year just makes it more painful.

------------------

20. raww

raww Member

No, it isn't fair and neither is life. Even if he made only 2 mil a year, it wouldn't be fine. Just easier to trade or waive him. I look at it this way. The guy is getting PAID to play basketball. Thats his job. Most of us have regular jobs and will never make that much money in our life time. If I come to work and did a half ass job and show no type of effort or determination like Cato does, its safe to say that I probably would be "waived".

We all know that Cato doesn't have the "best" offensive game and his D isn't that great either (foul trouble). The only beef I have with Cato is there seems to be NO EFFORT at all. Compare Pig Miller to Cato, or I'll do better than that. Remember Charles Jones? He was the oldest Rocket for a long time and he showed more effort and hustle than I ever seen from Cato.

Like I said before...

we will get off Cato's back, if he gets off his ass and play some ball!

------------------
    RAWW
    Paid for by the Frudy T. Gin and Juice Daquari Factory.

[This message has been edited by raww (edited May 30, 2001).]