1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gersson Rosas building another Rockets in Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, May 28, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wonder if it will kill Morey to see Finch get hired as a HC in Minnesota when he was someone he wanted groomed to be a HC here in Houston.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would start anew with other players.

So KAT and Wiggins should be gone. Maybe wait 2 years for KAT.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They already hired Saunders as their permanent HC.

I thought it was a somewhat strange move... given Saunders is a remnant of what was. I know there'd be a lot of heat getting rid of Saunders, given the love for that family there in Minny, but if you are bringing in Gersson in the first place, you'd have to have anticipated that would happen.

But in either case, I guess Gersson really liked Saunders or didn't have quite the full trust/ability to make that cut yet.

As for the rest of the moves... well, yeah... people often hire who they know.

It will be interesting to see what he does over the next few years. KAT is a generational type player, even if he isn't great defensively. Wiggins is the "problem" and its unfortunate that they got rid of so many assets (eg. Lavine, Dunn, draft capital, etc.) when they probably could have gotten more back / given up a lot less if they had just moved on from Wiggins at that point.

Will Gersson try to "tank" one more year? Will he try and COMPLETELY tank and move one or both of Wiggins and KAT. Will he try to just move Wiggins and compete? Will he try to just compete?

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. justtxyank

Forgot that. I guess they mean they are interviewing Finch for an assistant's role.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Wolves are gonna win a chip before us aren't they?

7. JayZ750

It was just an old tweet... supporting @Clutch 's broader point, which is Gersson is talking to lots of "ex" Rockets folks

daywalker02 and justtxyank like this.
  8. justtxyank

Derp on me. I didn't read the dates.

9. BullRider

BullRider Member

they hired Saunders bc they are not competing for a while. when they are ready they will hire a real coach.

GotGame15 and Jontro like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He should at least get that 'Ben Simmons' type of guy thru the draft.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wernher Von Braun would roll over in his grave if he knew Rockets were being built in Minnesota.

13. JayZ750

You mean a #1 pick in the draft type of guy?? Lol.

TWolves are picking 11th.

What's the highest they can get with 11+Wiggins as an asset package in this year's draft? My guess is not very high. I'll give them CP3 for that, but he's not THAT much of an upgrade over Jeff Teague at this point.

Would you do: CP3+Tucker for Wiggins, Teague, 11th pick??

It would work salary wise, you could understand why the TWolves would do it... Rockets get worse, and Wiggins might be one of the few contracts in the league worse than CP3s. It's a year longer... BUT he'll only be 27 in that last year, and only making $33 million, as opposed to CP3, whose deal ends a year earlier, but he'll be making $44 million at 36-37.

I'd do it as DM, simply as a bet on super-simplifying Wiggins responsibilities and game, and potentially seeing a lot of "upside" from that... but it'd be a pretty big risk. Hate to lose Tucker, but then forces DM to get some actual SIZE on his team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or a traditional playmaker would do it too, as Rubio wasn't going to be the complete package.

And no, they won't fall for 34 yr old CP3......they are not that naive.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The rockets whole analytics thing doesn't work without James which was a result of a lot of luck. First you needed OKC ownership willing not to pay him. Then you need three GMs saying no to trading for him.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You can argue it hasn't work with James either.

calurker and Jontro like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The average IQ of the team would drop about 30 points.

I'd do almost anything to drop CP3's contract. But Wiggins is toxic. I like Teague though. Not sure Minny would do it anyway. Giving up Teague and the pick to dump one year of a bad contract is a pretty steep price.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. JayZ750

With Wiggins, the bigger thing to me would be the defense, or lack thereof. I'd be less concerned about "toxicity" - after all, it's not his fault he's had 4 coaches in 5 years. Like he takes a ton of mid-range shots... but not because he's some kind of great mid range player, but because for whatever reason they post him up in the mid-range often, and have horrible offensive schemes. I could see him fitting in amazingly offensively if he just used his natural skill, talent and athleticism to do Houston Rockets things. Shoot open threes. Drive the lane and no midrange. Run fast break. He'd be Chandler Parsons+ in that regard.

But that he's been so bad defensively is worrisome.

It is a steep price... that's why I included Tucker. Towns is locked up through 23/24. Which really means by the prior year the organization has to have a "good" feeling. CP3/Tucker would at least give them veteran presence and toughness and an offensive leader to rely on to help them make a 5-8 playoff push. That's not enough, of course...

They'd do it if it was CP3+Tucker+Gordon for Wiggins+Teague+Dieng+#11

But that'd be crazy from the Rockets perspective... UNLESS DM was super confident there was a Kawhi/Booker/Mitchell type find at that position.

Either case... not happening.

But still curious... what does Gersson do?? Not an easy task he took on.

Easy likes this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Raptors, Clippers, now yet another team of Rockets legends.

hakeem94 likes this.