1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garnett as a net?..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Loco Gringo, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Minnesota are tossing up the idea of trading garnett because he wants his massive contract extended.. and kidd wants to play with a playoff contender that has a big superstar in the paint (trying to reproduce the lakers in the east).. but the nets would have to trade Kerry Kittles, Kenyon Martin and Keith Van Horn to make up his contract.. Nets still would have the likes of jefferson, but no other real talent.. Would u do it if you were the Nets GM?.. and would the twolves be a worry for the rockets?, if the trade was done..

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

No i wouldnt do it, because you have to give up to much.

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

Yes, I would do it. Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, and whatever shooting guard they get (maybe sign Wally World?) would guarantee that they return to the NBA Finals, and I think have a real shot at the Lakers.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Minnesota is in a bind, yaknowwhatImean? Garnett being a franchise player...and I mean, a franchise player, sells jerseys, dominates the game, puts butts in the seats, gives Minnesotans(?) a reason to go out in the cold.

If I was Jersey, yes, I'd do it.

Minnesota? Tough. Very tough.

5. mav3434

mav3434 Member

YES!

1 superstar = better than vanhorn, kittles, martin combined

2 superstars = better than the Sacramento Kings

6. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I don't think kidd, garnett and junk would be better than the kings. I mean, judging by the past season, at best, shaq and kobe plus 1 or two good role players, are slighty better than the kings. In my mind they are equals. kobe >kidd and shaq >garnett.

Still i would do this if i were NJ. But minn would be crazy to make the trade. With kg, at the least, they have a legit playoff shot ever year. Since they lost all those first-rounders, the absolute worst thing that could happen to them is to miss the playoff, be a lottery team, and not get a pick. If i'm running the wolves, i would just ride garnett the next 3-4 years, and just hope that one year they get hot and make a run. After they get their 1st round picks back, then trade garnett and rebuild the team.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Have to include picks

Rocket River

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only talent that has upside in that NJ bunch is Martin. He doesn't look like, at this point, he'll be the same franchise player like Garnett.

Besides, unlike Garnett who can create for himself, Martin needs a point guard who can feed him the ball. And PG is the weakest position in Minn.

So apart from money matters, this trade will heavily favor NJ.

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

I meant that shaq and kobe were better, but essentially the two superstars theory is one that I favor over others.

10. luminator

luminator Member

If New Jersey had a chance to do that trade, they'd be crazy not to do it. They'd easily be the favorite in the East. Who in the East could match up with KG? Maybe Jermaine O'Neal would be the closest, but KG's still way ahead of him. Not to mention they would still have Jason Kidd.

11. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

New Jersey could use a starting lineup of:
    C-Todd MaCulough
    PF-Jason Collins
    SF-KG
    SG-Richard Jefferson
    PG-Jason Kidd
    with Lucious Harris and whoeve else they can pick up coming off the bench.

12. Stylez

Stylez Member

The article said that when garnett's contract runs out the TWolevs are looking at his salary going from 28mil to 35mil a year!!! They will never ever win if one player (who disappeares at the end of games) makes 35mil a year. I mean thats 60% of the cap right there! The Wolves aren't going anywhere so why not pick up 3 starters. Van Horn & Kittles aren't that good but Martin is emerging as a good hard-noised PF and they would still have enough to be the 8th seed IMHO and lose in the 1st round like they will do if KG stays anyway.

Its a no brainer for the Nets as it would atomatically put them at the top of the Leastern Conf.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It would put them on top the East, but I fail to see how a trail mix of WC playoff losers becoming a threat capable of handling the likes of LA, Sacramento, or even San Antonio.

What next? A sign and trade for the Mailman?

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I can't believe Garnett would ask that. He should know how much his salary hampers the team, and if he really cared about winning, I think he would take a paycut down to say, hypothetically, 20 mil. per year max. That's just being selfish.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Would you do it if you were the Nets???? hahahaha

Hell f-ing yes, I do that if I'm NJ. They would trade Kittles and Van Horn for a piece of dog $hit, if the cap allowed them to. They prob wouldn't want to trade KM, but he's never going to be half the player KG is.

Nets would do this trade in a heartbeat. Min would never do it. They wouldn't touch Van Horn's and Kittles' contract with a 10 ft pole.

16. haven

haven Member

Two things:

1. Of course you do it. Garnett is about 10x more valuable than the players you're dealing. You can get players like those two with the middle class exception.

2. That said, they still wouldn't be a real title contender... just easily the best in the East.

let's see

Shaq > Garnett

Kobe > Kidd

And, of course, w/o Kittles and Van Horn, you don't even have the supporting caste LA does. But, still... who's a match for such a team in the East? Pierce might be Kidd's equal, but Walker's nowhere close to Garnett. Jermaine O'Neal would look exposed against Garnett in a series. So would Mash. And Mourning would these days, too. And... well, you get hte point.

17. tozai

tozai Member

Yes, totally agree. This is just getting ridiculous. I'm starting to dislike KG just because of this.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

like Ken lay and all CEOs

Rocket River

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Great trade for both teams imo. KMart is about to break out, Van Horn is solid, and Kittles is solid too. And NJ would be set for there 2nd trip to the Finals.

20. leehoang

leehoang Member

if i was jersey i'd trade for kg anyday