1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garner waits for No. 5 to step up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fegwu, Feb 20, 2005.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Redding produced well in 2003. Maybe a full season with Garner as his manager might get him back on track.

BTW, from some of your posts here it appears anything short of Randy Johnson as our fifth starter would be disappointing.

#21 No Worries, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  2. fya

fya Member

Send redding and munro packing.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

welcome to MLB. most teams aren't trotting out legit guys as #5 starters.

who is the Cards #5? the Cubs?

4. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Redding actually has pretty good atuff, and just needs to finish guys off. He gets ahead o virtually every hitter, but just doesn't have an out pitch.

If he can ever figures it out he could be a hell of a setup man.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and we would be lucky to replace either of them with a talent equal to theirs.

6. msn

msn Member

I agree with this and the earlier comment; it's just that if he's going to make noise and whine, he's not much of a loss. My point isn't that he should be a #2 or #3 talent, but that if he's a #5 or bullpen guy at best, he should shut his mouth and pitch, as opposed to claiming he's worth 1.25 million or demanding a trade.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed MSN,I stand corrected.Tim does have better than average stuff,but it doesn't mean a hill of beans if he can't focus and throw strikes.And when same borderline Major League player becomes a distraction,he's gotta go.I guess I'm just so prejudiced against him because of his attitude,that it's hard to admit his good points.
    Hey,weren't you over at the old Astros site?I'm CC.
    If it's you,Great to run into you again.
    and MadMax....Your so right about most teams #5's not being worth a darn.The perceived,projected,or real fiscal limitations of MLB definitely prohibit putting together a complete staff.We could have a long discourse on money and how it has been killing the game,but I'll save that for another thread.
    I just feel it is important for Drayton and Tim to recognize,that to compete for the division,and ultimately a World series title we have to have a quality #5 guy that will eat innings.This team will not be scoring runs at a record clip.Besides,we don't have any guarrantees regarding Andy's arm.Yes,they could go out and make a deal before the deadline......I just don't want us to be climbing out of a huge hole.

#27 Plowman, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  8. msn

msn Member

What's up CC!

I'd love to have a #5 guy that eats lots of innings, but that's a rare thing. A lot of itmes the #5 spot is where your #12 bullpen guy gets his work in!

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Just ready for baseball season.....seems like a good group here.
    Hey,I just want our #5 to keep us in most games...even a slightly better than average guy that can give us innings.

10. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Hi CC. This is Who is on first from the old Astros site.

11. Plowman

Supporting Member

Hi Who,hey plenty of the ole gang here....Major was telling me you dominate over here.The three of us have to catch some games.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

dominate's what? He may be the master of his domain but a dominator here? Lets not get crazy

13. Plowman

Supporting Member

LOL..Just playing around NJRocket..not my intention to step on any toes.I'll tell ya though,with there being so many different Astros sites now,I like this one.I used to come in just for hoops,but really prefer Clutchfans for everything now.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

im just breaking balls too....there are a lot of knowledgable Astros fans on here...i dont necessarly agree with some of them, but they know their jit

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the Astros are my favorite pro sports franchise. i've never found a website devoted to them that attracted me enough to spend time there.

16. Plowman

Supporting Member

MadMax - We had a good one over at the original Astros.com and then MLB,in their constant search for the almighty dollar came in and decided they were going to put them all together.We created our own on EZboard,which was really cool.It had a ton of baseball knowledge and a family atmosphere.But like with many families,we imploded and there became two factions who split off into two different boards.Now,instead of having a centralized quality board,devoted to baseball,they are splintered into many.
    I'll hang here as it appears to offer the best in people and knowledge.....and it isn't going anywhere.
    Yeah,I'm a lifelong Astros fan too,and despite everything,baseball is still king as far as I'm concerned.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That was nice. Oswalt is definately an Astro.

18. msn

msn Member

Mine, too.

I loved the AstrosDaily site, and I still go to its main page but they blew the forum up at new year's.