1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gammons] reporting Griffey to Astros trade talk happening

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fya, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Sounds like a Drayton move to me, lots of flash...might sell tickets...don't see a lot of African American faces at MM.

Baseball wise I would rather see us spend the $ in other areas.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I disagree a little here....I think Griffey's upside far outweighs Bags. Its just that with Bags, you know you are getting a guy who is going to play hurt and produce every now and then....with Griffey, if you somehow get 120-130 games, you may get 40 HRs and 100+ rbis

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bags, 'every now and then'? The guy is a gamer, and still performs.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Whereas I think a Griffey deal would be really enticing and could potentially help our team tremendously, I have my doubts as we all do.

The reason I have my doubts, though, is this:
    If Griffey stays healthy, he would help our team this year ALOT. We'd get another lefty, a true CF, and the some of the power we lost with the departures of Kent and Beltran.

BUT, why would a division rival give us all of those things? Especially considering that the Reds are on the cusp of becoming a really good team? They obviously don't think he'll be THAT effective, which is causing my concern.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

And with Bagwell, you always got 100% effort, even with a torn shoulder.

With Griffey . . . you don't.

Also "If he stays healthy" - the Reds have been saying this for years now - if he was going to stay healthy, he would've done it by now. At this point in his career - 110-120 games IS staying healthy.

6. msn

msn Member

Put Bagwell's entire career against Iffey's, and I take Bagwell.

Every. Time.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Their offensive numbers are eerily very very similiar. But Griffey, when healthy, was definitely the better and more important defender.

If both never played another game, I'd probably take Griffey.

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I would take James Earl Jones if it brought some color to this team.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he had game like he's got pipes I'd grab him in a New York minute.

Of course the point is well taken as this team reminds me of Chicago's southsiders -- pale hose.

10. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Uhh, James Earl Jones went blind taking a high fast one to the eyes back in the day. he knew "George" though ( or Babe Ruth as we know him). Now he just chills out his house with his dog, hercules.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Don't get yourself into a pickle now

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dead as a doornail smalls...

13. msn

msn Member

You're comparing apples to oranges. Of course an OF defender will be "more productive" defensively. But, in his prime, Bagwell had no equal defensively. Remember all those 3-6-3 double plays?

14. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

had no equal?

JT Snow was damn good.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As a matrix of O & D.

16. msn

msn Member

Snow might be better than Bagwell, but wasn't he a couple years after Bagwell's prime?

No kidding. One of the best all-time. Too bad the shoulder injury cut him short--it would have been great to have 8 to 10 years of that kind of dominance instead of only 6.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

eh, I don't know about that. He made alot of plays look more difficult then they should be because he was so short for a 1b.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The 3-6-3 double plays weren't nearly as impressive as the way he would charge a bunt and throw a guy out at 3rd

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

eh, I don't know about that either. He made alot of difficult plays look easy because he was such a great defensive first baseman.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a majority of people who think Bagwell was the same level above average defensively for his position as Griffey was for his. Then, given that a great defensive centerfielder/outfielder is more important, it swings more towards Griffey.

Bagwell made great plays, for sure, but there were always at least 2 or 3 (or more) other first baseman in the league who would have made the same plays, and more.

Griffey made plays that it seemed no one else in baseball at the time made. And even since, you could only argue that Andrew Jones has the same type of defensive presence, though Beltran is reaching that level.