1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gammons] reporting Griffey to Astros trade talk happening

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fya, Mar 21, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Remeber this is Peter Gammons talking, a guy who almost got his butt whipped by Pedro Martinez for making up ridulcous trade rumors. He makes rumors up all the time.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

NO kidding. If he could have a comeback season and remain healthy, this would be awesome. I would do it if the reds were to bring down their demands for him.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Stick a fork in him...he's done.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

34 year old injury prone guys don't have comeback seasons. They contiinue to decline and then fade into obscurity.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You mean fade into Bolivia, right?

This is hilarious. They didn't even give up 4 top prospects for him.

6. MykTek

MykTek Member

i would give him a chance, i'd take griffey any day...even if he doesn't start, having a bat on the bench that knock a HR anytime and from the left side is great....all I can say is look at Grant Hill....If he can make a comeback, so can Griffey....

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WHAT?! What do you mean by fade into Bolivia?! I am half Bolivian.

8. fya

fya Member

Maybe he meant oblivion.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's a Mike Tyson quote, he says he's going to fade into Bolivia. Mike's not the greatest wordsmith to ever exist, he might be the funniest though.

10. kevwun

kevwun Member

Mike Tyson once said that he was going to fade in to Bolivia instead of oblivion.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If it didnt deplete our farm system ....(i.e. if they could agree on two decent prospects and maybe Redding), I'd take a chance....IF, and its a huge if...but IF he can play 130 games, we need his offense and defense...Tal's hill is a blown out knee waiting to happen for this guy...i guess im a little undecided here...but if it didnt kill our future, I'd do it.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd do it...Griffey's contract isn't that horrible, given the fact Berkman cashed in on a gimpy knee...Why wouldn't you...Jr. just needs out of Cincy, a fresh start...

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

legit question...would this guy really be a signficant defensive upgrade at this point of his career??

14. NJRocket

over Bidge? Yes. Griffey still has an arm and some decent range

15. NJRocket

All in all...I dont see this happening mainly because I dont see us giving up 4 top prospects for him....but if the price comes down and we could put him in our lineup, I think he would be a huge help

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think certainly over anyone we can put out there short of Taveras. I would say even with injuries, he's as fast as Lane and has just plain natural CF instincts. Griffey was something else to watch. It's kind of a shame those Seattle teams of Griffey-ARod-Johnson didn't stay together.

4 top prospects? Uh, no. I'd do Redding, Josh Anderson, and a couple decent lower level pitchers if they covered part of his salary. Maybe Luke Scott would be part of the package?

I don't see it getting done.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Can you see another team taking on Bagwell's full salary, much less giving us top prospects for him? Because that's the highway robbery that the Reds are trying to get away with in this Griffey deal. The difference between the two is that Bags plays (at a reduced capability) with his injuries while Griffey is sidelined much of the season with his.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A lot depends on the Reds definition of "top prospects." I, too, believe that they'd be willing to take just about anything to get rid of Griffey's contract.

I'm not sold that the Astros should make this move. Why get older at this point? It's time to get younger and be constantly building for the future while not giving up on the present. I think that they can be competitive this season with the current team. I would rather see another reliever brought in, but I want to see Taveras, Burke, Astacio, and/or Scott get playing time this year.

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Ken Griffey Jr. is the Grant Hill of baseball. You simply can't give up too much to land this guy because he's just too damn fragile. I would not give up Lane, Burke, or Astacio to get this guy and I'm sure that would be the asking price. Anything less than that price and I'm assuming the Reds would rather keep their chip to trade at some other time for greater value or let him rot on the Disabled List.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is akin to the rumors that the Astros and Braves talked about a Dale Murphy trade when Murphy was in the twilight of his career. The Braves wanted Biggio, Caminiti and Cameron Drew (a talented player who unfortunately tore up his knee and, ironically, may have been the deal breaker if I remember correctly).