1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gammons: McLane gives go-ahead to add to payroll

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by desihooper, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The question with Benson isn't whether he'll be 0.7 runs better than Villone every nine innings - it's whether the Astros can unleash the enormous talent in his frame that the Pirates have done their worst to absolutely destroy.

He may never live up to the Ace potential he had coming up through the minors, because lord knows his arm's been slagged enough by the Pirates to ruin it forever. But if we can get him cheap, I think that's a risk we can take - and we should move Villone from the rotation for him.

I mean, isn't that the point of having a Ron Villone-type swingman on your team? To hopefully give you a few non-crappy starts(which he has), and then move to the pen when you get someone better - but be ready to spot-start again if someone has to miss a start?

Isn't that why you sign guys like him?

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

That's the key. What do you define as cheap.

The most Id offer is someone like Jason Lane who is getting older by the minute with no position.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I'd go deep into the far system, find somebody who throws hard and has guady strikeout numbers - perhaps he's a few years too old for his level, or he doesn't have a second pitch - but he looks good to the scouts and fob him off on the Pirates. At least, that would be the starting point.

I'd be willing to give up Lane for Benson, but not right away.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Personally, I would offer lane, plus a young arm or two in the system to get Benson eventually. Obviously you start low and work your way up. I would maybe consider involving one of saarloos, rosario or redding if we got someone else good from them, but I don't think that will be necessary.

His talent is huge, the Pirates are the ones mishandling him. I badly want this guy over any other starter on the market.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jason Lane is worthless to us.

Bagwell's set at 1B for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Lane's not a good defensive OF and he doesn't hit like Berkman.

The guy is already 26 and there's nothing else to prove at Triple A.

You should never give up on pitchers. You just never know when they'll break through.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am fairly sure they released him last year and he was signed into the Cubs minor league system.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

We could just keep borrowing Mike Williams :)

8. bobrek

He was just traded to the Phillies.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Age and potential.

Benson has stud ability. Villone has pitched very well, but the guy is a journeyman who was released once this year, and latched on with us because of our array of SP injuries. If Carlos, Moehler, and Oswalt don't go down with injuries, and Saarloos et. al don't suck it up when starting, Villone probably wouldn't be with us.

For Benson, I'd deal Laneand a modest pitching prospect, maybe even a guy like Saarloos if they'd give us Sauerbeck or a right handed bench option as well. The Pirates are actually pretty good pitching wise, and need hitters.

From what I've read, the Orioles want a catcher, and would most likely ask for Buck+ in return for Ponson. Only way you do that is if you're planning on resigning Ponson, and you plan to keep Ausmus around longer than originally planned to wait for Hector Gimenez (sp?) to be ready.

10. Major

Major Member

I mean, isn't that the point of having a Ron Villone-type swingman on your team? To hopefully give you a few non-crappy starts(which he has), and then move to the pen when you get someone better - but be ready to spot-start again if someone has to miss a start?

Sure, but how exactly is Benson better? Benson is having the worst year of a mediocre career, Villone the best (albeit a small sample here). Career numbers are nice and all, but season numbers are better indicators of the immediate future performance. What reason do we have to think that a Benson with a 5.00 ERA is suddenly going to perform better than a Villone with a 2.6 ERA? I play the guy who gives us the best chance to win, and from all indications this year, that guy is Villone.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Thank you. Don't buy into the Benson hype. He showed lots of promise a few years ago, but he isn't the same pitcher after reconstructive surgery. No need to mortgage the farm on a B-rated pitcher.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to trade Lane. He'll be our starting CF once Biggio retires. The guy is a good power hitter. He just needs a chance in the bigs.

12. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

weren't we saying the same thing about D.Ward?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes we were. Not all players are the same.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Lane's not a ****** out of shape, one dimensional batter with only a good left cut to his swing. Ward's over rated and because of his terrible shape, spends most of his time on the bench, even now for Dodgers.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ward had more than his fair share of chances with the Astros, and continued to suck. Jason Lane has yet to play even a fourth of a season in the big leagues.

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

A converted 1B playing CF. We already have one of the worst defensive OF's in the NL. Let's just put another former 1B out there and take our chances.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm with you..i really don't like that idea.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Isn't Jason Lane 27 or 28?? Biggio still has at least another year on his contract and an option for a third. Lane probably won't get significant playing time until he's 29 years old. I'm sure he'll replace Brian Hunter on the roster next year because it will save the club about a million dollars.

19. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

We could get the same/more production out of Lane at 1B than we are gettin from Bags

plus Lane gets paid a WHOLE lot less than Bags..

It doesnt make *emotional* sense...but from a *baseball* viewpoint..it makes more sense...especially for a mid-market team like the Astros..

I love Bags as much as anyone...but Bags is just not the Bags of old anymore..

but i guess it is a moot point with Bags being under guarenteed contract

20. bobrek

What crystal ball are you looking in to know this?

Bagwell is among the 3 best glovemen in the NL at 1B. When was the last time Lane even played 1B?

If the Astros were as sure as you about Jason Lane hitting 30+ HRs, 90+ RBI and 100+ Runs, they would find a place for him.

If they could get this great production out of Lane, wouldn't it make more sense for him to replace Biggio than Bagwell? He would really dwarf Biggio's numbers (according to you) and probably be just as good defensively in the OF.