1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gammons: McLane gives go-ahead to add to payroll

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by desihooper, Jul 13, 2003.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bobrek- How long do you expect Villone to keep this up? Redding goes through nervous breakdowns on the mound like Tweak.

Nonetheless, here's an interesting head scratcher from CBS Sportsline's Rumor Mill

Mariners
    Updated: 7/17/2003

The Seattle Post reported Mariners GM Pat Gillick said there had been two "serious" discussions among numerous trade contacts. One of them might have involved Houston, which two weeks ago reportedly was willing to part with lefty Ron Villone.

Wow, they talk like Villone is the stud 23 year old left hander, rather than the guy we pulled off the scrap heap with a minor league free agent contract.

If you can pull off a trade for Benson or Ponson (Ponson is my preference, and is mentioned in the above link as well to be heading to an NL team), and then get some sort of decent right handed bench option plus a prospect for Villone, that's a no brainer.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I totally agree, but Villone has given the Astros 6 straight quality starts and could easily be 6-0 with a little bullpen/offensive help.

My point is that in 4 days I would rather see Villone start than Benson.

I have absolutely no problems with Benson as a long term potential answer as a starter.

3. bobrek

I agree 100%.

4. Major

Major Member

I totally agree, but Villone has given the Astros 6 straight quality starts and could easily be 6-0 with a little bullpen/offensive help.

My point is that in 4 days I would rather see Villone start than Benson.

I have absolutely no problems with Benson as a long term potential answer as a starter.

Not only that, but Villone kicked ass in the minors for us too - this isn't just 4 or 5 starts. He's been great all year. Players change - sometimes something just "clicks" - like it did for Mlicki that one year (who some people here kept insisting was the worst pitcher in all of baseball). If we made a trade for a starter, I'd move Redding to the pen. He has serious issues going deep in ball games, and 2 starts doesn't do it for me. He's gotten worse every month until July. Plus, Redding in the bullpen seems a good fit for him - let him go out there and throw fastballs for an inning or two.

(This, of course, assumes he's not needed in the trade).

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Mlicki's ERA with the Astros was higher than his career average. Villone is pitching well, but it's a fluke - we get a new starter, he goes to the pen. It's been nice that Villone is pitching better, but it's a simple fluke. Ride it while it lasts, but don't plan on it continuing.

Under no circumstances should Redding go to the pen over Villone.

6. Major

Major Member

Mlicki's ERA with the Astros was higher than his career average. Villone is pitching well, but it's a fluke - we get a new starter, he goes to the pen. It's been nice that Villone is pitching better, but it's a simple fluke. Ride it while it lasts, but don't plan on it continuing.

I disagree. I leave Villone in the rotation until *he* proves its a fluke. Besides which, Redding is more useful in the pen than Villone is.

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

when is Rosario coming back. He looked like a legitimate starter.

8. Puedlfor

Dunno, but I can't imagine he'll be at the major league level when he does.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I thought he was awesome when he pitched. You could tell he has a no-fear mentality.

Redding has major league stuff but is easily flustered. Id much rather have Rosario who could devlop into a more consistent pitcher and a pretty good #3 or 4.

10. Puedlfor

I agree he was awesome, but unless I'm mistaken - his call-up was an emergency move because of injuries. I think the Astros would rather have him spend the remainder of the year in AAA when he get's back from his shoulder injury.

on Redding : Just tell him to breath through his eyeballs, and he'll be ok.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I saw him pitch in Round Rock last year. Kid has amazing stuff and will be legit in a few years.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Both Rosario and Carlos Hernandez have very good arms. Theyre fragile as Brad Lidge but could be utilized out of the bullpen if necessary.

I would much prefer a Rosario than a Kirk Sarloos or Pete Munro.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

14. haven

haven Member

Major:

So you let him pitch until he screws up? While that might be a good idea with a rookie, Villone is a known quantity. I'm grateful that he's done better than expected so far, but it's foolish to keep sticking your finger in the oven, hoping it doesn't get burned.

He's a decent pitcher with average stuff. Why tempt fate by pretending he's more?

15. Major

Major Member

So you let him pitch until he screws up?

Yeah, why not? He's your 5th starter - he's not expected to pitch quality games every time out. If he does, let him keep doing it. It's not like we're talking about starting him in a must-win playoff game or something.

It's not like Kris Benson or anyone else is pitching better than him right now, so stick to what's working.

16. bobrek

So far though he has been rock solid. It's not like the Astros are having to win his starts 7-5. Villone deserves to stay in the rotation and he deserves to have more than one bad game.

In his 6 starts he has given up 0,2,3,2,2,1 runs. He has only allowed 42 baserunners in 36 innings. That ratio is better than anyone on the team except Dotel and Wagner so he has not been in a lot of trouble. Villone has been their best starter since they let him pitch.

17. haven

haven Member

Bobrek, Major:

But the important question isn't "how has he been pitching" but rather "how will he pitch in the future?"

The course of a career is a better predictor than a few games, even over a relatively short span of time.

I understand your argument, though. So here's my question to both of you:

Say, we trade for Benson tomorrow. How much does Villone have to screw up to be replaced in the starting line-up by Benson? Please be relatively specific.

Just trying to guage how strongly you feel about the guy...

18. haven

haven Member

Bobrek, Major:

But the important question isn't "how has he been pitching" but rather "how will he pitch in the future?"

The course of a career is a better predictor than a few games, even over a relatively short span of time. My personal opinion is that he's had such a mediocre career and has such average stuff that he deserves very little faith.

I understand your argument, though. So here's my question to both of you:

Say, we trade for Benson tomorrow. How much does Villone have to screw up to be replaced in the starting line-up by Benson? Please be relatively specific.

Just trying to guage how strongly you feel about the guy...

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

On the Ch. 2 Sports show at 10:30 tonight they said that the Astros could be dangling Ensberg in trade talks.

20. Major

Major Member

The course of a career is a better predictor than a few games, even over a relatively short span of time. My personal opinion is that he's had such a mediocre career and has such average stuff that he deserves very little faith.

Players have random goofy career years all the time. It's most likely a fluke, but it's worth finding out. You'll never finds the diamonds in the rough if you don't give them a chance.

Depends. Is he getting hit hard and giving up lots of runs? Or it just some bad luck? A few bad pitches? Judging pitching isn't just about the numbers so there's no way to say "well, if he does this or that, he should be benched".

Benson, though, has an ERA of 5.00 right now. He wouldn't really be my choice for a new starter. I'd rather have Rosario for free than trade for Benson.