1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Basically unless they release a legit new Metroid or a remastered version or Smash Bros Melee I'll wait till the bottom falls out and they're selling for $99

2. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

If Breath of the Wild's quality is on par with Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past...then yes I think it will be better than all of those other games, especially in the gameplay department. And I say that as someone who thinks that The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. I'd agree that the Witcher games and maybe the first Dragon Age (Dragon Age: Origins) have better stories and writing...however, Zelda games aren't really about the story. Zelda is more of an adventure than an RPG.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Spent 6 hours playing last night and felt like I have not advanced much. This open world is amazing.

Also, noticed the fps slowing down but really didn't bug me much. The game still looks amazing. No issue with the left joycon yet either.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Enjoying it so far. The controllers do glitch sometimes and you just keep running. Outside of that it's a ton of fun.

12 switch is a great party game

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, I think this is the perfect console for couples. Like the XB1 and ps4 are great for gaming, but the casual gaming on the switch is amazing. My girlfriend absolutely loves just dance, and I like bomberman and 1-2-switch. Can't wait to crack open Zelda.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Casual gaming in the Wii U is solid too.

The question is at the moment what does the switch bring that they couldn't just do on the Wii U? It's apparently the ability to get up and go with it as a tablet.

Do you see yourself using that a lot?

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I actually found myself using it this morning when my fiancé wanted to watch tv in the living room. No problem, let me undock and attach the joycons while I lay in bed.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

portable gaming isn't some blue ocean hope. It is a market Nintendo has consistently dominated.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  10. JayZ750

No doubt.
    And i wasn't being negative. Was just asking someone who already has it.

And I can definitely see the use case presented as portable within the house or car or plane when traveling.

Do have to wonder if they'll cannibalize their own sales.

We'll definitely be getting one. But probably not till Christmas.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

I actually do see myself using it more. Ironically it might kill my usage of the 3DS though. Indie games like the jack box ones might really help it swing one way or the other. My friends and I love party type games, if the switch has them we might just take the switch wherever we go. I will admit it isn't the must have console yet, but when Mario comes out and Mario kart does too, I will be happy I bought it.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think eventually it is supposed to kill your 3DS usage. In a few years, all games...both "console" and "Mobile" for Nintendo will be on the Switch. They'll still make those same games for the 3DS because of the large footprint, but I think the point is that they want to drive their entire user base to the Switch.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

My kids do 90% of the gaming in our house. So it will be interesting to see what they think. They already know iPad gaming so suspect it will be second nature to them.

But regardless of the form factor of the console if it supports new must haves like Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, a new Yoshi, the Arms game looks awesome, etc. than have to get it.

I'm still not sold it will be used in the party format as seen in original informecials - eg at a house party, pickup basketball games, bar... but if it does it will be that 3DS replacement for sure.

As it merges with the pure portable/mobile world it will be a bit of a nuisance to have another mobile product. Itd be crazy if this was Nintendo's eventual play into smartphone type world... but then not that far fetched.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Finding arrows is like finding ammo in the last of us

mrm32 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This design is amazing and I believe it has the potential to take over gaming if they make some key changes in the following generations.

1. Make the docking station larger/more powerful, have it compete with the XB1 and PS4 on speed, graphics, storage etc

Games are mostly played at home, while making it a 2 in 1 portable is really cool its kind of pointless on the console end unless it keeps up with the big boys like PS4/XB1 when docked.

2. Make the portable screen/system a functional tablet for internet/social media, work on reducing the weight and extending the battery life as long as possible

3. Get VR / keep up on all the big console games / drop amazing exclusive games

If they could do most of those things with a competitive price, they would absolutely kill the ps4/XB1/wii while killing all other hand held gaming devices and getting some tablet marketspace

Really hope they implement those things heading into the next generations. I saw a review that summed it up best, it's weight/battery drags down the hand held device application, the underwhelming power, graphics, memory and game selection drags down the console application. Right now it's a 2in1 that doesn't excel at either of the two applications it's designed for. Unfourtanate that it was released flawed, but the good news is that they have a great design, they just really need to perfect it and maximize it's potential.

#215 ThatBoyNick, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yeah, Nintendo has always had a great library of games every generation, but the problem is a ton of those are on portables, and we Americans don't much care for portables. Since Japan is the opposite (they love portables but not consoles), there are tons of cool 3DS games, JRPGs and such, which never get console ports... or worse, don't make it to the US at all.

With the Switch, one should be able to access all of Nintendo's library going forward, both portable and console, in one device. Games that would never have made it across the pond last generation, might this time around, because developers would only need to translate it, instead of having to translate it AND port it to console from handheld.

Anywho. I decided I'd just keep my Switch, though I won't take it out of the box until my Case & Screen Protector arrive (Tuesday/Wednesday-ish). Interested to give it a shot.

I've only bought Zelda & 1-2 Switch so far, and will download Snipperclips off the eShop when I unbox it. Sure I will get the Mario Kart re-release too... I was super-annoyed there were no battle maps in the WiiU version. Looking forward to the return of those.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

About 25 hours into Zelda and it feels like I haven't gotten far on the main quest. The map is huge and it's easy to just wander off and explore. Can't say enough good things about this game.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Snipperclips is a great puzzle game. 1-2 switch blows

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Weird. It seems like people love or hate 1-2 Switch. I haven't seen any "meh" opinions. Now I'm extra-curious to give it a whirl.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

I like it. It's not anything extraordinary, but a great starter game.