1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Games] Starfield from Bethesda Game Studios

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Aug 26, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

@DaDakota

What are your thoughts on this game?

This is the main Bethesda team who made this game and not the smaller less talented teams that did games like Fallout 76. It's been in development for 10 years. Just to temper some expectations. It's not like Star Citizen where there is atmospheric flight. You own ships and they can fly planet to planet and hyperdrive between star systems but the landing on the actual planet is a cut scene but then you can explore the planet once docked. There are things like derelict ship and station encounters in between planets with fully realized interiors and crews similar to what would be "dungeons" in a game like Skyrim. There are also giant military vessels like in Expanse that you can fight or join as there are entire faction systems. The worlds are detailed full of npcs with that have actual day/night schedules like sleeping, working, eating etc. It's a old school Bethesda rpg but with modern tech in a grand scale. Someone has to be excited about this game? Very ambitious game.
    it's coming out in like a week.

#1 fchowd0311, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Rashmon and Yung-T like this.
  2. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm actually thinking about giving this a try, as long as its not woke. Its really hard now n days to get a pure experience without forced wokeness in big triple a games.

3. fchowd0311

This is a old school Bethesda game that isn't dumbed down like Fallout 4. That means you can choose to be woke or you can chose to be a Nazi or anything in-between. Whatever you want. There are factions, and thousands of choices. This game is ambitious in a rpg sense. Not in a space sim sense.

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

That's good, give players the freedom to do whatever... As long as it has a story and it isn't a space sim like no man's sky. I'm still having a hard time playing anything after Zelda, that game was too good.....

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

It's absolutely nothing like No Man's Sky. NMS is a procedural generated simulator that has repeated assets fort Kings like structures and space stations. There is nothing to explore and interact with besides collecting resources. That's it. There are no elaborate cities and space stations with elaborately detailed interiors that have entire crews and populations of NPCs that live little npc lives where you can do things like pick pocket them.

NMS is fun to fly around, build bases etc.

#5 fchowd0311, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm waiting to download my "free" copy from buying an AMD processor to check it out. This is the only game out there that will put Baldur's Gate 3 on the backburner for me now that Diablo IV got the "meh" reviews and I wait for that to get "fixed". So I'm waiting to see how this turns out.

In the meantime I'm playing No Man's Sky. I remember playing this when it first came out and it was basically trash because it was released early. I waited I guess 6 or 7 years thinking I'd never play it again, but people kept saying how much it's improved. The only problem I have with it is it's basically a brain-dead grind with glitches and wonky scaling/balancing. After you do about 2 or 3 things you have basically an infinite supply of "money" and then it gets to be you have too much crap to store. Not really impressed because the game doesn't give you the feel of exploration. I wanted a game that would combine the "reality" of something like Elite Dangerous' space exploration with a good economy and maaaaybe RPG elements, though the latter isn't that important. I also would rather have some more realistic flight/combat mechanics than No Man's Sky, but I'm not gonna complain if it's not. No Man's Sky is like space exploration for kindergarteners and grinding for the masochistic.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

I already have Xbox game pass for my PC so I technically am not buying it outside the monthly 10 dollar fee but I play other games on game pass.

Starfield is it's own thing and not like Elite Dangerous that has little to no rpg elements. It's a sim.

I would say Starfield is a super ambitious version of Outer Worlds. It has more space sim elements injected into it than Outer Worlds.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are similarities. Space, spaceships, shooting.

9. fchowd0311

Well ya. I'm talking about intended goal and genre of game. Both are "sci-fi" setting but outside of that nothing much similar. NMS is almost a pure procedurally generated world with hardly any unique assets with barely any genuine npc life or interactivity. You aren't going to experience walking into a old settlement in NMS full of environmental story telling that gives you an insight on the culture and lives of the people living in the settlement.

NMS is fun in terms of a sandbox where you can build bases with almost no limitations. Like you can terraform the ground beneath to create elaborate underground bases but beyond that and flying around there isn't much to do.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I’m not a gamer but thought I’d give the new Xbox a try. Halo sucked, sold it…but I saw am ad for this game and thought about keeping it..

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Too busy to play it at launch, but yeah I'll definitely check it out at some point. I don't like the way Bethesda does some things (mostly their tech), but their games are usually top notch and some of the best of every generation.

And yeah I assume this is sorta The Elder Scrolls in Space. There will be similarities to other popular space games, but ultimately going to feel very much like a Bethesda game. Which is generally a good thing.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just pre-loaded a few hours ago. This game better be good as long as I've waited for it. Bethesda games are usually buggy on release, but from the early-gameplay reviews I've been reading, there have been bugs, but not game-ending or severe ones. Others say there are "typical" Bethesda bugs. I'm most worried about saying various aspects of the game are somewhat lacking detail/complexity like flight, the main quest is short, a lot of repetitive stuff, etc. That kind of stuff usually kills it for me (the superficial gaming experience where the game has no depth - just eye candy).

#12 Dr of Dunk, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  13. Beezy

Beezy Member

Seen several reviewers say to finish the main quest first before tackling other stuff.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Downloading it now on PC Game Pass. Will let you know in a week after the 120GB is done.

Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just went online for those who have the "early access"... start playing!

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Dang, I just got home from work and tried to play it. I thought launch was today but it's only for early access. I was joking about how long the download would take and left it going overnight, but I actually will have to wait a week.

<- clown face

Uprising likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is one of those downloads where having a decent speed connection helps. :D The other 99.9% of the time, it probably doesn't matter whether you have multi-gig or 50 Mbps. lol. I "only" have a 500 Mbps connection that I may downgrade because that speed is mostly pointless to me, but I didn't think it took too long to download. I just downloaded while I played another game. lol.

18. Duncan McDonuts

I had AT&T 1Gbps but recently downgraded to Spectrum 500Mbps for half the price now that Google Fiber moved in.

1 Gbps was nice, with fast upload to have good ping in multiplayer games, too. But we stream 2 devices at a time. 500 Gbps is more than enough for us. No work from home at our house. I'll download a large game like this a few times a year. Can't complain too much for $40/mo.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I upgraded from 500 to 1gig speed just to find out my series x's download speed tops out at around 500mbps depending on the time of day because of the servers Im guessing, lol.

Saw this game is getting mediocre reviews, bummer.

Fallout 3 is the GOAT for me, New Vegas was also great, Fallout 4 was disappointing, 76 was bad, and now this game the same team developed for nearly a decade is mid. Feels like that team lost the magic.

20. Beezy

Beezy Member

Xbox downloads top out at just over 800 Mbps on my AT&T gigabit.

Starfield is reviewing how I thought it would. It's a Bethesda game - some people love that style of game, others don't care for it. 87/88 Metacritic is still a very strong score (on par with Final Fantasy XVI, for example). I think a lot of people are disappointed that the space flight/exploration part of the game is very limited and not what the previews were promising - people were expecting something more like No Man's Sky.

#20 Beezy, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023