1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Thread: Rio Grande Valley Vipers @ Texas Legends 2/13/2013 (Royce White... on the ROAD!)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

#BeWell friend...

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

How is it any different from a player getting injured on any given play?

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you not just see the mini-crusade White initiated? That is part of how this is different from a random injury.

A random injury situation just comes with the game. White is more like a guy with an existing injury that can flare up at any moment. It is like a guy with a bad back or bad knees. You just go day to day, hoping he holds up.

This status is what White stated he was "advocating" for in the first place, a kind of day to day status that a doctor would review and let the team know if he was ready to perform or not. That isn't top notch reliability. That isn't just random injury chance.

The difference for the team is the hope that with meds and therapy White can overcome his mental issues and perform as the quality of his play should not be an issue as much as if he plays at all. Morey is gambling that better medical care can get White's mental health to levels it hasn't been before -- that White can be "healed" so to speak. The team just needed to get White to relent to it before the project could begin.

With Harden in the fold, Morey won't be taking these kinds of gambles anymore.

1 person likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is different. He can be injured mentally and physically. Double Risk.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The way White moves with the ball combined with his size...I can see why the Rox wont give up on him, but still...I hate him

1 person likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's not necessary for YOU to trust him. As for him being a headache, that's entirely up to you. Morey has a plan and the Rockets seem to be ahead of schedule and the future looks bright.

I really do not get all the angst by so called fans. Royce is the cherry on top of the sundae right now. He's just pure gravy. Okay, enough with the food metaphors. The Rockets have absolutely no reason to give up on a guy with his upside right now. The Rockets do not need White to contribute this season.

7. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

A big that can run the break, make PG-esque decisions with the ball, rebound.....hmmmm.....sounds alot like Josh Smith, who most everyone here seems to hate the idea of having on our team. Funny.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets do not need White.. I agree
    to contribute EVER.

9. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

White is a massive gamble. We're okay if it doesn't pay off, we knew that going into it.

But if it does pay off, we got ourselves a top-5 pick for the 16th pick.

Seeing as draft picks are gambles anyways, we might as well shoot for a possible star.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am perhaps one of few who thinks we can draft another Royce.. High end Role player without going through this DRAMA and low maintenance guy.

11. hahachui

hahachui Member

I still think that we should gamble on him if turn back time.
    his talent is here

12. larry cook

larry cook Member

Lets leave the personal and mental stuff alone and give the guy a shot! Hes young and got some learning to do so lets help em...

13. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

The thing is, his potential is far more than a high-end role player. And how often do late draft picks end up being high end role players? It's a gamble. Sure, we could, but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

Drafting him was the right choice - whether or not he ends up working out.

14. JeffB

Supporting Member

That's like saying "let's leave the fact that Brandon Roy's knees are shot out of this." You can't. White has had his shot since draft day. The Rockets have given it to him. He got it off to a rocky start. Now he has to put in the work to both improve his game and improve his mental health. The two go hand in hand, like DRose and his knee, like DHoward and his back.

I think White is a good gamble. But those 2 things -- his willingness to improve his game and his willingness to improve his health -- have to be tested. It does the team no good if he becomes all world then decides to go all Quixote during the playoffs.

15. larry cook

larry cook Member

Can we move ahead already:confused: didnt that happen like yesterday:confused: When something else occurs we can trample him with worries but he seems to be making progress at this point. What more do you want?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure drafting him was a PRE-Harden choice... we don't need a point forward unless someone is injured...

17. Pete the Cheat

grab a rebound and start the break...seems like a nice fit to me...

a second unit featuring he and D-Mo in the frontcourt really intrigues me. especially if Royce shows an ability to defend post scorers.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

not known for defense.... but yeah last chance for this guy

19. JeffB

Supporting Member

Conditioning. Shooting. A season with no episodes. How do you move on from a serious injury/medical condition? You don't. Bad back, knees, or brain... It is all the same. It is not trampling him to acknowledge he is in a day to day state and we do just as well monitoring his attitude and effort as we do his turnovers and jump shooting. He has to prove he can handle the 82 plus playoffs. I believe in his talent. Just not his health.

I'd have the same attitude about Brandon Roy or Demarcus Cousins. I'd be waiting until a knee blows out once and for all or another dispute with a coach. Just like a guy coming back from an ACL, I am just waiting to see how he recovers. The real gamble was not on his talent, it was on his health.

When yesterday becomes 2 seasons ago, then we know.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

White would fit this offense to a T if he can shoot a mid-range jumper and rebound effectively. There's no around the fact that his skills are amazing. And maturity can most certainly improve with age.

There's absolutely no reason why the Rockets should give up on him. The worst that can happen is that he steals from Les ~$4mil in guaranteed money. Les won't even blink at that kind of loss.