1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game report -- Bulls/Grizzlies on Wed. 7/11

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kim, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Thank You again. You are greatly appreciated.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why? Shouldnt these guys be starting. Im sure Chicago didnt trade away a star PF in Elton Brand for a 7-1 PF/SF that doesnt even deserve to start summer league games??? Him and Curry should both be dominating as well. I hope, for the NBA's sake, this was just a first pro game kinda thing.

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

109-78. Ouch.

Well, at least those are just Chicago's draft picks. I mean, during the regular season they'll have Bra-

-cough-

At least during the regular season they'll have Robinson.

Oh lord, just think about it. The Bulls made a deadly move, in my opinion. Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler.

In the words of Calvin Murphy,

Mm, mm, mm. Goodness gracious.

------------------
    The media's Eddie Griffin NBA Draft player profile before he landed in the Rockets hands:

What he does: He was second in the nation in blocked shots and fifth in rebounds as a freshman last season; has good shooting range and even had a triple-double.
    Reminds people of: Antawn Jamison
    What he would do for his team: He could play either forward spot and runs the floor. He'll give his team a valuble inside scoring threat.

The media's review of the Rocket's draft after they got Eddie Griffin:

I'd give their draft a B. Sure, Griffin was highly touted but his behavior and attitude can be a chemistry wrecker. Needs to bulk up more. Not exactly NBA-ready. Not the best choice for Houston.

It's very sad. The "wonderfully talented prospect" one second, but the moment the media learns he'll be a Houston Rocket, it's criticize-o-rama.

4. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Man, the Bulls lloked brutal. here's the box scores BTW: http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0712d.html

------------------
    __ Ñ _ _ _
    /_ ______ _ \
    ÝÝÝÝl____| * |___ lÝÝÝÝ ¡,.-ñý¯Ç ¡,.-ñ~ñ~ñ-.,¡ `¯ýñ-.,

5. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

First of all, let me say that I am SICK of watching the Grizzlies. [​IMG] The first three full summer-league games I watch, there they are. If I can avoid seeing them again until the Rockets-Grizz game on Monday, I will.

Lots of folks on hand to catch the debut of Curry and Chandler -- not just a reasonably full house, but a lot of NBA folks in the semi-VIP floor section: Jerry West, Mitch Kupchak, Tex Winter, Paul Westhead (who looks unnervingly like Samuel Beckett) and Bill Cartwright, plus Clippers Lamar Odom and Darius Miles and Warriors players/coaches Jason Richardson, Chris Porter, Mark Osowski, Phil Hubbard, and Clifford Ray.

All that for a blowout. I missed the 1st quarter due to the joys of L.A. traffic, by which time the Grizz were already up 15 points & Shane Battier had 13 of his eventual 20. The margin stayed in the teens until the middle of the 3rd quarter, when it widened steadily to the final score of 109-71.

The Grizzlies dominated by executing more consistently -- it their fourth game of the summer league, versus the Bulls' first, and the Grizz had clearly established some solid team chemistry. So many summer-league possessions are busted plays, missed shots followed by offensive boards, etc. that you can win just by being quicker to recognize when someone's man is out of position. This chemistry gap was consistent regardless of which Grizz PG was playing, or whether famed leader-type Battier was on the floor, so I guess I have to give at least some credit to the Grizzlies' coaches.

Both Curry and Chandler came off the bench. Tyson Chandler has little offensive game at this point, although the form on his jump shot looks good. Looked willing to mix it up inside on defense though, blocking a couple shots and using his length to keep rebounds away from opponents (even if he was outmuscled sometimes by the shorter beef of the Grizzlies front line).

Eddy Curry's main problem was not having anyone who could get him the ball. Post-up moves looked OK. Did almost all his scoring in a short stretch of the 2nd quarter, including one sequence where he sank a smooth-looking midrange jumper, snuffed out a guard's attempted layup on the other end, and then raced downcourt for the fast-break hoop. As that indicates, he ran the floor quite well.

Marcus Fizer was there, but played anonymously. If I hadn't known he was the previous year's #4 overall draft pick, I wouldn't have guessed it. The Bulls' late-game collapse, for what it's worth, began when they went to a front line of Curry, Chandler, and Fizer. (Earlier, they experimented with a huge front line of 7-foot Dalibor Bagaric, Curry, and Chandler).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited July 12, 2001).]

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Swopa -- did you catch the Rockets' game? Could you put your analysis up? Thanks.

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"