1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Seven

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think DVD sales are trending upwards in any part of the industry.

I also don't see a lot of Jon Snow t-shirts out there... but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Its not just CGI costs... the salaries these guys get per episode are some of the largest in history.

tmoney1101 and DreamShook like this.
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, travel and time should not be treated like a supernatural element. (unless you're Bran:))

The passage of time was a big factor in the show to begin with. When Ned went to King's Landing and Jon was going to the Wall, they said good bye like they were never going to see each other again. When certain players reached their destinations, there was weight to it because they mention how long it took in conversation or span of episodes. Time makes moments matter more; makes decisions more important.

Imagine if it took Tyrion 5 minutes to reach Dany or Jaime and Brienne took 5 minutes to get to King's Landing after being captured. What if it took a season for the Stark Children to reunite. Would we care about any of it? would any moment feel earned?

The Hound could have thrown that rock at the zombies because he was tired of waiting to die. Maybe they were on that rock for days. Because we have no reference for time we are like, "why did he throw that rock?"

#1323 DreamShook, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im past the whole time thing. The writers could certainly do a much better job.

Arya's tiff with Sansa is mundane and pointless. If there was going to be another 3 or 4 seasons and needed filler, it would be different. Now its just completely pointless. Its obvious at this point its all about fire and ice, the White Walkers against everyone. Time to move on from the squabbles.

The Benjun reveal was so anticlimactic. I think Ed Sheeran had a bigger cameo than Benjun.

Im at a loss on why they did not continue to keep the ice broken. Further the wights could survive under water, so why did they not just walk up to the island from underwater.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And don't forget Sam's little pep talk with the Grand Maester about how if he sent out ravens to everyone about the White Walkers, and ordered a Call to Arms, they'd believe him and follow his orders. And every Maester in the Kingdom would be looking through scrolls for ancient tips on fighting the WWs.

I doubt the story returns to hopes of the Grand Maester leading the Call. But, if Cersei can't be convinced, they could take the damn wight to the Citadel as proof.

BigM and B-Bob like this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

In truth we have no idea how big this world is. Could be the size of Texas. Which means lots of this travel time is possible. The change in climate across this world makes this unreasonable though.

It would be awesome if the night king killed whichever of his lutienents turned the zombie that was taken. Make the whole adventure meaningless

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. heypartner

"Stupid ficking wights." The Hound

Like the wights have a brain and actually make plans.

8. heypartner

important point that needs more discussion

Looks like T + B are going to be reunited at the KL meeting. Or did Tormund stay back at Eastwich?

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The sex scene fans want

10. heypartner

Actually, we know how big it is. for instance, the wall is 300 miles wide, and that's one of the narrow parts of Westeros. As for that Raven flight ...

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Kingsroad extends for over two thousand miles from Storm's End to the Wall.
    That makes it about 1200-1400 miles as the crow flies (or raven in this case) from Dragonstone to the Wall.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fun episode visually and some good fan service.

I'll leave my comments at that. I'm sure everyone here can imagine my thoughts on the logic, but I'll spare you all the annoyance.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The was I see it this was done earlier in the season because Winter was only coming.

Winter is beating at the door step now. The shows objective is to not be a story telling masterpiece as it was primarily, its main objective now is to ramp up the action left right and centre.

We know there was at least one full night on that island they were stranded on because when they woke up Thoros was dead. Not as if that bothers me either.

I would've been cheering just the same if only 10 seconds passed from Gendrys starter pistol firing to Drogon using Flamethrower.

heypartner likes this.
  13. heypartner

btw: I also thought Emilia Clark is pulling off some good performances now. I almost teared up this episode.

Ziggy, FLASH21 and BigM like this.
  14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The Hound: "She'll carve you up and eat your liver."

Tormund: "You do know her."

<rimshot>

ghettocheeze, BigM, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Logic is completely out the window this season. They make it seem like they got the note out with the raven and the dragons came and saved Jon all in a span of 8 mins.
    What are these dragons..supersonic jets?

16. heypartner

fwiw: The Great Snipe could make that 1,200mi-ish flight to Dragonstone in roughly 20 hours. I assume a dragon could, too...for 40 hours roundtrip.

Great snipe is the fastest migratory bird ever discovered

Apart from its long, elegant beak, the great snipe looks just like any other wading bird. But researchers have found that this ordinary-looking creature could well be the fastest bird on Earth – over long distances at least.

After following the birds’ migration south from Sweden to central Africa using tiny tracking devices, Swedish scientists found that the birds fly nonstop over a distance of around 4,200 miles at a phenomenal 60 mph.
    [​IMG]

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They dont but they are controlled by the knight king. So, why wouldnt he have made them walk up to the island underwater. Furthermore, if he was the worlds greatest javelin thrower and could take down a dragon, why didnt he didnt he just hurl them at Jon and them? He wouldve saved hundreds of his soldiers. BTW, did anybody notice that when Tormund went down and was surrounded by the dead, they didnt feast on him? Its like the knight king wanted him alive as a prisoner or ranking soldier or something.

This show was the dumbest one of the season so far. Super predictable and super corny. This show is starting to fall apart imo. Stay tuned for the last episode of the series where uncle Benjen returns to save the day yet again.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Almost like a dead dragon...

With 4 spinoffs in queue. I don't think they'll script too far off a Hollywood ending. They want ratings to make the money worth it.

We'll see a twist or two but the deaths are the characters that over complicated the story. If people can accept that, maybe that bar of expectations would be more realistic?

For all the continuity geeks and former book lovers, your hope is for GRRM to finish the books and give you the ending you won't get here.

don grahamleone and daywalker02 like this.
  19. heypartner

?? I thought that's what they did once a little hole was made in the ice at the island.

this makes no sense...come on, man. And then you would have whined, "Why didn't they jump out of the way when he hurled those javalins. There they are being stupid again like Rickon not dodging the arrow." Or, if they did jump out of way, "Why did the writers make the NK so dumb to waste his magic spears like that."

Man, I just feel sorry for how you look for anything to complain about, and let it bother you so much.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Definitely still enjoying the show but it just isnt on the same level as during its peak. The lack of episodes this season and the short time that is left is causing the quality to suffer a bit. Things are being rushed a little too much where a bit more filler and explanation could have elevated this season a bit more. And it's starting to bother me a bit more. The time jumps creating all too convenient situations, the abundance of characters and stories that fight for screen time (where's the Unsullied, Euron and Yara, Theon?), the predictable plot trajectory and lack of jaw-dropping twists and deaths. It's still enjoyable sure, but it's disappointing knowing how much better it could be if given more time.

Still, great moments in this episode. Number one is the banter between the Mag 7 of Westeros, followed by the dragons going Gandalf at Helm's Deep, then Dany and Jon's tender moment.

Worst moment... anything with Arya and Sansa.