1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here come the White Walkers !!

DD

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect

A Certain Assassin with a Certain Newly made Weapons will slip out of Winterfeld and go to hunt the Knight King

Rocket River

daywalker02 and mikol13 like this.
  4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Loved the episode. Scenes where these characters we have come to know so well just sit around and talk: sometimes playfully, sometimes quite serious and importantly, are some of my favorite on the show. Sure I love to see the dragons wrecking shop...but to me these supporting scenes are every bit as important and the show nails them just as much as it does the heavy action episodes. The Knighting of Brienne got me in all the feels.

Really loving the final season so far.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Few quick thoughts -

-Great episode to really come full circle & tie off Jamie's arc. People are saying this episode was boring or whatever don't really get that one of the central characters essentially closing out their character arc needs room to breath in that moment, and I really do feel like they gave that arc along with all the other big character moments, their rightful due.

-I feel like the conclusion in episode 3 with Bran & the Night King has the potential to be a bit un-earned, and is concerning. Since season 6 when Bran flashed back to learn about the Night King's creation, we've spent very little time laying the Easter eggs to where I think they are going with how they'll potentially need to win the battle. Maybe episode 3 just ends with them losing, and fighting another battle in the show's finale, but it feels like we should be headed towards a conclusive moment with the Night King threat, and we are missing a ton of relevant information.

-The Arya Sex scene is kind of interesting because of the reaction to it, and how we treat young women and their sexuality. The same people disgusted by it, probably cheered on while as a child she murdered people in violent ways, but now as a young adult, are uncomfortable with her having Sex on her own terms with an obvious love interest seeded 5 seasons prior. Arya has been damaged, and felt trauma no child should have to go through even in this world. Her coming into her own sexuality was the most healthy growth into adulthood she has been able to experience on her own terms. Interesting to see if it changes her character at all, or how future loss of loved characters now affect her.

-Jon always has the worst timing. I had predicted last week that Jon doing what he thinks is the right thing (telling Dany the truth here) would end up costing just like it has in the end when he's dealt with difficult decisions head on instead of massaging the delivery a bit, or simply lying a little bit to gain time to make said hard decision a bit easier. I have a feeling Jon's need to tell Dany then and there will somehow impact the war with the Night King. It has to. Dany has show herself to care more about the Iron Throne now than pretty much anything, and as was predicted as early as season 2, that she's sort of destined to be Queen of the Ashes. She no longer trusts the one guy she detoured her path to the throne for, and surely doesn't trust her Hand anymore.

Wouldn't shock me the least bit if Dany pulls out her armies after the initial blow by the NIght Kings' attack, and leaves the Northerners to finish the battle without the unsullied, and the Dothraki.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm mostly disgusted because I don't find Maisie attractive at all. I would have preferred if she changed into the Waif. She's waifu material. I bet Gendry gonna be real disappointed when he learns Arya has that ability.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Man, came in here fearing the worse, with non-stop complaints about "nothing happened!... just sitting around drinking? don't they know there's not much episode time left!... too many convenient interruptions after a major question/dramatic moment (what happens to the North? I am the true heir to the throne!)"

I did like the banter, comic relief, and it did set the stage of fear/trepidation prior to the battle... but yes, nothing much did happen.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Great episode. Great, great episode.

I think we are in for some deaths for sure.

Tier 1: Virtual Locks
    Greyworm: The farewell with Missandei painted this one
    Theon: His redemption is complete. Now he must die in a Boromir style, valiant last pitch against the Knight King

Tier 2: Probable
    Beric Dondarion: only reason he's not a lock is because there is still something out there with the Red Woman so maybe he's part of that
    Lord Comannder Edd: Welcome back! Time to die.
    Ser Jorah: It's possible that he lives, but this is a fitting time.

Tier 3: Flip a coin
    Ser Royce: Not important enough to matter really but may be necessary in the wars to come
    Tormund: His death would be impactful and it seems unlikely he is one of the final heroes
    Podrick: Re-introduced him here, made him likeable again, would hurt Brienne to see him die
    Bran: It's unclear how this confrontation ends with the Night King. If this episode concludes this sage and we move on to "For the Throne" then it may be time for Bran to go.

Tier 4: I think they are safe
    Jamie: His arch doesn't seem likely to end without Cersei
    Tyrion: See above
    Sansa: I see her being a survivor
    The Hound: His saga shouldn't end without the Mountain
    Davos: A survivor
    Brienne: I think she makes it through to the end
    Sam Tarly: He lives through to the end to tell the story

Tier 5: Wildcards
    Jon Snow: He won't sit on the Iron Throne at the end. Sooner or later he dies. His whole mission is life has been to fight the Dead and they are here. Now would be a fitting time for the final sacrifice. Unless of course he's NOT the Targ that dies...
    Dany: I don't see her dying here BUT it would be a twist to have her croak now and leave Jon to go take the throne.
    Arya: I don't see her dying here BUT she could be a character who can't "live in the world" when the fight is over. Maybe she dies here, but I don't think so.

My prediction: Jon dies, tells Dany he would have given up his birthright for her but makes some speech about her needing to be willing to give up the throne for her people or something. Sansa and Dany united. Arya lives. They storm the South together and it is SANSA that leads the Stark's revenge against Cersei with Arya at her side.

tmoney1101, mikol13, K mf G and 4 others like this.
  10. justtxyank

Nothing happened except character development which is where this show has always been at its best. The only thing that was dumb was Jon telling Dany at that moment. It just seems pointless. Risk fracturing your alliance right at the moment of battle? And what if he dies but they win? He risks putting his brother and Sam in danger. Just didn't seem necessary.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

loved the ep. last night. can't wait til next week!

justtxyank likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

thoughts on Sam giving jorah heartsbane? maybe, should of given it to a better friend in Edd?

justtxyank likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Somehow. . . I see Brienne or Jamie getting turned and having to fight each other
    I think we will see a few of these emotional battles

Rocket River

justtxyank likes this.
  14. justtxyank

A little contrived, but we will all deal with it because we love Jorah hehe.

Really it doesn't make much sense. Sam liked Jorah's father and he saved Jorah from the grayscale, but that means Jorah owes Sam not the other way around. And Jorah does serve Dany which means if everything goes Sam's way Jorah would be wielding that sword fighting for Dany AGAINST Jon's claim to the throne. So...not smart and yes, would have been much smarter to give it to Edd.

That said, Edd isn't a main character. I bet a lot of watchers yesterday don't even remember him really. Can't give a sword like that and have a moment like that with a character like Edd. Need it for Jorah. It will also make it cooler when Jorah dies wielding that sword!

YOLO likes this.
  15. justtxyank

Yeah, some recognizable characters will be turned most likely.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Edd is not a noble from a noble house

Rocket River

17. justtxyank

Why would that matter to Sam when he gives the sword away?

Also, Jorah isn't a noble anymore either, he was banished from Westeros and stripped of land and title.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The first 2 episodes were mostly just fan service. A ton of character interactions people have been waiting for (but don't really need). Had the final 2 seasons been conventional 10 episode seasons they could have spread all of this stuff out more evenly

It's the best kind of fan service because I have enjoyed watching it, and for the most part it was written in a way that was acceptable and not overly contrived.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My wife seems to think that the crypts will become reanimated and slaughter everyone.

I think that's kinda BS given that those corpses would be dust.

However, a headless Ned Stark running around terrorizing everyone would be hilarious.

Roscoe Arbuckle, BigM, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Last nights episode was a strong character spotlight for pretty much everybody as a lead up to the big battle.

It's easy to assume that a handful of the character's that were giving interactions and spotlights won't make it through the next episode.

mikol13 likes this.