1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I never really thought she was that great a leader from reading the books, for what it's worth. She made mostly the same questionable impulsicd decisions as she does on the show as far as I recall. The books are just behind the show on the plot for the last couple seasons so book Dany isn't in Westeros burning the Tarlys yet.

heypartner, dobro1229 and justtxyank like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't comment. I stopped reading the books and will read them after the show is over. I've never gotten the sense from book readers though that she is bratty in the books. I mean even Jon is so mesmerized by that booty that he didn't even react to her insinuating that she might have to kill his sister lol.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why are we still spoilering posts? If anyone hasnt seen the newest episodes, theyd be pretty dumb to venture into this thread.

Eric Riley, ryan_98 and justtxyank like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the episode didn't reveal anything anyways. Just people meeting up and saying 'long time no see' .

justtxyank and donkeypunch like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I always saw her as a metaphor for whats initially enticing about inserting an authoritarian to overhaul the system overnight, but the show & books are pretty crystal clear about the complications of society under those conditions. Then there is Dany's/Tyrian's blatant use of religious fanaticism to keep political power which certainly is something that Cersei also did which ended up coming back to bite her in the butt pretty bad.

All in all I certainly don't see Dany as any sort of hero in this story. She's kind of Cersei with Dragons instead of wildfire & a 7 foot zombie. And its sort of poetic justice that all along her claim is complete BS. She was never the "last Dragon" in technical terms. Jon Snow was all along. Her power came from belief in herself, and others. Her belief led her to go to the length of using black magic to hatch dragon eggs & led her to use religion to boost her political power to retain belief from her supporters.

To me if Dany ends the story sitting on the Iron Throne it would be about as fulfilling to the story as Cersei sitting on the throne. Meaning it would be kinda depressing and a bit of a downer. Her gaining power in the way she did isn't really anything to cheer about.

This isn't really a hero's and villains type of story. Can't believe people still don't get that. Still incredibly fascinating though.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True. Forgot about that aspect. Hard to kill that one riding an Undead Blue Flame Ice Dragon.

Well, isn't Wildfire uncontrollable, like it could do some friendly bombings as well in terms of no exact calculation of burst radius and such ...........

#247 daywalker02, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be good if Jon Snow could start finding dragon eggs and breed dragons like that on his own.

I guess not every dragon will make till the end, and who knows which humans do.

With eggs, comes great responsibility.

Kit Harington is alrite I guess.

9. dobro1229

If we are going by the GRRM rules in the book, yes he absolutely could technically hatch eggs. The eggs are only hatched in the books because of the Witch's black magic, and the sacrifice of her unborn child. It's also what kept her from burning alive in the fire.

In the show, they give Dany extra fire resistant powers which I never really quite understood.

#249 dobro1229, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    daywalker02 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So the Witch you are talking about in the Book = Daenerys?

11. dobro1229

Based on what Episode 1 has setup, the title for the season "For the Throne" now is starting to make much more sense.

Sam spelled it out pretty clearly to Jon. He gave up his title to save the North. Would Dany do that to save the seven Kingdoms? He raises a pretty good point, and I have to side with Sam here. Jon will have a pretty big conflict to resolve with Dany and what he thinks is best for mankind vs. the throne of power. Sam wants Jon to take the power because he'll surely make a better leader & ruler, but in the end Jon really has to make a decision about the here and now with Dany where her being united with Jon & the North might or might not be the difference in winning the battle vs. the White Walkers.

Jon is certainly more Ned than anyone else though. The "honorable" choices are almost always the ones that get people killed including himself. Have no idea how it will shake out, but if past is prologue it sure does make it seem like Jon might do something stupid like be honest with Dany, tell her, and her end up pulling out of Winterfell & screwing the north.

12. dobro1229

No the witch who the Dothraki enslaved in season 1 who she "saved", and then in return the witch conducted the ceremony to "save" Khal Drogo which ended up killing Dany's unborn child.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

This is separate from the discussions going on but I remember GRRM proposing that the GoT universe could fit in Westworld's universe. Given that GRRM used to write Sci-Fi novels before ASOIF, I wonder if there's going to be some trippy Sci-Fi ending going on. Ultimately it never happened with the Westworld showrunners but it kinda gives an idea that GRRM still kinda has some weird Sci-Fi twist in store to really mind**** readers. For reference: https://www.vulture.com/2016/10/grrm-wanted-westworld.html

I'm kinda of the opinion that the war with the Night King is gonna end by an exchange in vows. Jon takes over current Night King's role. Dany sees what a true king does to save his people even at the sacrifice of his life and decides to create a democracy instead of a kingdom. The whole we could live here for a thousand years scene between Dany and Jon during the waterfall scene made me suspicious . I also bring up changing the ruling status quo because Dany was all about freeing those slaves in the earlier seasons and being different from all past leaders, especially her father. The end of kingdom rule would signify that watching the ultimate sacrifice from the real king might lead to the change of heart Dany needs to have to stop repeating herself as "Danaerys Stormborne, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, etc etc" she was doing in earlier seasons and really change the status quo.

Also curious where Melisandre is gonna fit. No sign of her in any trailers thus far, yet we know she is going to die in Westoros as she stated in earlier episodes. Also Beric. He's been resurrected so many times, you figure he's gotta have some role left to fulfill for being resurrected. Thoros is dead so it would only be Mel or another priestess that could maybe bring him back or use as a sacrifice to bring back Jon as she stated she would do if he were to die again at the battle of the bastards.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yup. I had to pause it several times to find something more interesting.

This show has its moments, but 75% is just BORING.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Odd coming from a guy who thrives on petty drama.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Mmkay. Thanks for playing.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I came for the hot takes but all I got was a guy demanding Dany give him her platform for how she will save the Seven Kingdoms.