1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His other prisoner picked Jon's brother to be king.

The North should have demanded Jon be released and named King. There was no real tension in that scene at all. They should have been on the brink of war.

daywalker02, Rocket River and Sajan like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They tried to insinuate the tension... by saying there were thousands of northmen troops at the gates.... but I agree that it wasn't as good of a set-up scene as it should have been.

"Nobody wants more war"... ugh. (e.g. - show-runners are done with this show, need to wrap it up, etc.)

Rocket River, mikol13 and justtxyank like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

And Tormund getting extra frisky w/ Jon after downing a barrel full of fermented goats milk.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Say what you will about the season itself, but at least Ramin Djawadi brought his A game. Listening to the season 8 soundtrack and it's the best. I'll always have this. They have to bring him back for the other GoT spinoff series. I think he's here in Houston in September but in Woodlands Pavilion. Would have loved to catch the concert in Toyota Center with amazing arena lighting.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think it was intentional Everything this season was so heavy handed and they went over the top with the imagery and symbolism. All the the themes and commentary they tried to make just ended up looking cringe and like a parody.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Game of Thrones and its series of books reminds me of Allen Moore's Watchmen in terms of how many of their fans and their screen adapters seem to totally miss the point that the author is trying to make. They are both meant to be critiques of their respective genre (though GRRM loves the Tolkien fantasy genre much more than Allen Moore did the superhero genre) but were adapted into rather conventional works of the genre (for Game of Thrones, this is more true for the final seasons than the earlier ones).

On a separate note... saw this on reddit:

[​IMG]

#2266 Carl Herrera, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but here are some loose ends/questions that I thought about:

- Did Jon admit he killed the Queen? There was nobody in the room, right? Couldn't he have just run out of the throne room and been like "holy crap the dragon!"...or even exited another exit? I guess he was too honest and just admitted it?
    - After the unsullied were on the boats and sailing away, why weren't the Starks like "LOL you can stay Jon...wanna be King anyways?"

8. cml750

cml750 Member

After thinking about this a few days, the ending would have made more sense as it was done had they done one simple thing. As Jon led the free folk north of the wall, they should have done it at dusk. He then could have unsheathed Longclaw and raised the flaming sword of Azor Ahai above his head to light the way. At least that would have wrapped up the Azor Ahai plot hole.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They should have had Drogon attempt to burn Jon . . .and him not be burned

Rocket River

cml750, Entropy and B-Bob like this.
  10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

heres my ramblings and rantings.

i was pretty underwhelmed by it. i really felt like they were just mailing it in. so many long, drawn out scenes when they could have had more dialogue. many missed opportunities to better explain some of the things that were left hanging.

i think we were all expecting arya to do something badass at the end - we never saw her use the bag of faces. they built her up to be this badass assassin then she didnt really do anything. also, they built up all that tension b/t jon and greyworm and then nothing happened.

arya had a great fight-scene in the battle of winterfell, but i would have liked to have seen her go "kill-bill" once more... perhaps a scene where greyworm walks in as drogon is flying away with dany - jon and greyworm go at it and jon is winning, but then a dozen unsullied come in and jon knows he cant fight them all...but one of the unsullied takes off their face and its arya who just goes full-on bad-ass and takes on all the unsullied while jon eventually kills greyworm.

jon is the rightful ruler and if varys got his messages out and sansa told everyone else then why didnt everyone agree to it. it wouldnt be the first time a ruler had murdered their predecessor. and again, jon was the rightful ruler. also, i like what someone else mentioned about the 7 kingdoms all being independent. thats what i thought was going to happen.

the idea that greyworm, the unsullied and the dothraki would have been cool with everything is ludicrous. dany was their god and they spent years following her with one singular goal. they achieved it and had the upper-hand, but jon kills her and they are like "its all good. yall pick a new ruler".

bran wasnt even in my top 5 of who i would have guessed would rule. it really makes no sense. in the end, nothing really changed. the status quo remains.

jon being a targarian - irrelevant
    arya being a badass assassin with a bag of faces - irrelevant
    bran being three eyed raven - irrelevant (plus, none of that s*** was even really explained...what the f*** was he doing the whole time!)

i get that blowing the ending is the norm for tv series, but it all seemed very anti-climatic.

breaking bad still the king of series finales!

#2270 jo mama, May 21, 2019
  11. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

In a prior scene, it was already established Jon can be burnt. So that possibility was forceclosed to the writers.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because Jon is Jon. He is too honorable to lie and feels too guilty not to have himself punished.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it was before his resurrection

Rocket River

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I thought the ending was pretty decent. It was pretty much what I was expecting. Most surprising thing though (and this could go for season 7 and 8) is the total removal of Brans powers to enter the Wearwood Net and see/change things.

But the whole theme of the ending was what I was expecting, and surprised so many people were expecting something else ... I dunno what honestly. A Reservoir Dogs style ending where everyone kills each other? That’s not really the point.

Robert Frosts “Ice and Fire” poem is one of the most important anti war pieces of literature written in our history. GRRM has a lot to say about War, monarchy, Religion, power, etc. as someone who grew up during Vietnam and is a Grateful Dead super fab. “Ice and Fire” is a short lesson on how destructive desire can be. Desire being things like desire for power, money, etc. we are to assume as readers.

The ending being a dragon melting the iron throne and democracy being founded was exactly what I would expect... if you know the author. The show writers making it an on the nose point to say those who don’t “desire” should make the rules just further drives home the whole point of the story.

Now did the showrunners handle that “on the nose” theme clumsily??... maybe a bit, but I didn’t think it was nearly as terrible as most make it seem. It was just okay.

Looking forward to reading the last two books if GRRM ever finishes them, and the spin offs which seem to be led by higher quality show runners and will likely have a ton of time to build characters unlike the last 3 seasons of GOT which had to rush to an ending. I look forward to coming back into the world under different and fresh circumstances.

#2274 dobro1229, May 21, 2019
  15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Democracy wasn’t founded. They laughed down Sam’s suggestion to allow the people select their rulers. Having the lords select their king/queen was a relatively small step.

justtxyank and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

still haven't watched season 7 & 8. after reading the 2 threads, i don't think i will. i'm content with the epic season 6 finale and pretend it's the end of the show. stop while the series is on a high.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the point was made though pretty on the nose about choosing a leader instead of monarchy. I think the point of laughing at Sam’s suggestion of public election just spoke to the audience of the show that they get it that it would be unbelievable to overnight transition to pure democracy. But the point was made.

bobloblaw and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1 million viewer petition to re-shoot the 8th season.....no matter how disgusted the actors and writers are.....fans have the right to do so.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He can't father kids...... maybe he'll do it illegally with a Wildling.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The fantasy that Incest can give birth to totally normal and intelligent kids.......see Cersei not.