1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

I would say this season was underwhelming despite some very awesome battle scenes.

I had no problems with how the major arcs ended except Jon’s. I would have thought it would have been more GOT if Jon would have been executed at the end. One last sacrifice for Jon... and he could have smiled at the rest of the Starks and said “I can rest now”.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

HBO was willing to give them 10 episodes. They insisted on 6. I have no idea why.

My guess is that everyone involved in the show was just ready to check out.

It had been a long road, and that show can't be easy/fun to produce.

Not excusing the writers at all for their terrible mistakes, but I think the ceiling for season 8 was capped out at like a B- before production even began.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't say i loved the finale but it's no win situation trying to wrap up a show like this in one episode, or even a short season. The pacing overall was just off for the season, rushed and shallow.

One comment on the North not being part of the seven kingdoms, I believe the North was historically independent and self ruled, so them breaking apart is really them returning to the pre- targaryen rule, which is why i believe others were okay with it.

BigM and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Greyworm and the unsullied "worshipped" Dany . .. . . . .They show made her a walking deity to those folx
    Dying in her honor was their honor. . . . but they let Jon Snow killed her with out consequence. . . . .
    nah . . not buying it

Rocket River

Surfguy likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dorne was the only kingdom never conquer
    so they should have left as well

Rocket River

MiddleMan likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This was my biggest complaint with the final season. Obviously it was super rushed which was totally avoidable, but I knew this would be the case going in. Jon's heritage being inconsequential (I guess it helped get Dany to the dark side) was the most frustrating, especially since Varys clearly got the word out and we never saw any follow up from that.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think that played a huge part in Drogon not turning him into a pile of smoldering face pubes.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I would say there was really no one left at the end to make a difference to Varys sending that out. Who's really left at the end not already sworn to Dany? Do nothing Dorne? Whoever's left in The Eyrie? Varys sending that out made little sense to me.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boring but pleasant ending, cannot complain, all the characters or most characters I wanted to see survive, lived.

I hope Tilman can watch this and know whatever it takes to take the Red Keep and the Throne.

Gosh, good thing the Iron Throne is no more, thought it was indestructible.

Off to a spin off - Arya the Discoverer, Marco Polo of the West!

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Democracy wins out ...... lulz.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The writers made that choice though. I say the writers, but D&D specifically. HBO offered them more seasons and they said no. HBO offered them more episodes in the last two seasons and they said no.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I wasn't trying to single you out. But I could agree if we said this: no major series on television has had a steeper decline from the writing of its first season to the writing of its last season. I can't think of anything like it. It just started from such a great place.

mikol13 and justtxyank like this.
  13. justtxyank

All of the Kingdoms were independent before the Targaryens. The Targs conquered all of them except The North which bent the knee without bloodshed after watching the Targ dragons scorch their enemies (which is why that Stark king became "The King that Knelt") and then Dorne which the Targs never conquered. Dorne made a peace deal that recognized the Targs as King but kept their quasi-independence which is why they are still stylized as Princes of Dorne. If anything, Dorne is the most independent of the Kingdoms. Each Kingdom had a story. The Vale bent the knee in exchange for riding a dragon allegedly or something like that. Still, all of Westeros was independent until the Targs conquered them and created the Seven Kingdoms.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. justtxyank

It's insane really. You can put a marker at the death of Jon Snow. Divide the series into two at that event and there is a clear change with it getting worse the father it gets from that point.

B-Bob and Rocket River like this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would have extended episode 5 and not even had an episode 6. Dany doesn't die. She takes over and her first acts as new Queen of the Seven Kingdoms is to round up all potential troublemakers and dispose of them. This would obviously include all the Starks as well as Jon, Tyrion, etc. . She had the time to get to know who the players were this season when battling the dead and the potential trouble ahead ruling these people. Why not just end this show where the good guys lose? This was not supposed to be the show where the good guys won. That's the biggest disappointment of all to me. Not only did the good guys win...but none of them even died or were really at risk of dying. One twist would have been that, while she had her dragon burn each of the rounded up alive, Drogon wouldn't burn Jon Snow because of his true roots. So, then just have Greyworm kill him. In summary, the bloody ending where the bad Queen wins would have been a more fitting ending imo. It's like they chickened out as far as what the true ending should have been.

What ever became of that prediction that Arya would kill someone with green eyes? Everyone was speculating she was destined to kill either Cersie or Dany because of that. I guess that prophesy was bogus.

#2135 Surfguy, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"We know like a million of you died saving humanity . . .well . . . Westeros cause the dead can't swim and ya'll were safe in your own lands . . .and I know we killed your queen and **** . . ..but . .. . well .. .thank you but you don't have to go home but you have to get the hell out of here" - Westerosians to the Unsullied and the Dothraki . . .

Rocket River

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

High points of the finale:

-Peter Dinklage's acting
    -Ser Brienne's memorialization of Jaime

That's about it, I guess?

B-Bob, mikol13 and justtxyank like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry for mah lack of knowledge but who is D and D? Weiss and Benioff's first names?

I always thought that is meant for Discussion and Debate.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was expecting some grand climax, but the vibe of the last episode was more of an epilogue. Which is nice in its way, but it helps if you write Epilogue at the front of it. The epilogue gives you some space to wind down, see the resolutions for the characters' stories, see that everything is okay, and luxuriate a little in the story without the tension. So, I was surprised that the climax was so early and that so much was epilogue, but that's fine. The climax itself wasn't much of a climax. You're expecting a big confrontation and you get an opportunistic murder. And, I think the episode breaks were unfortunate. If they could have paired the burning of Kings Landing with the regicide as the climax followed by some epilogue all in one episode, it'd work better.

Plus, as has been mentioned, the writing was crap, like it has been for a few seasons. I won't dwell on it. The good thing about the show ending badly is that no one will miss it now that it's gone. I'm just happy it's no longer suffering.

justtxyank likes this.