1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yara was trying to act tough to impress Brienne.

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I didn't notice but was the wall really repaired ? Was castle black the spot where the undead dragon melted the wall ?
    Why the hell repair the wall and what a **** thing for the wildlings , so they nearly are wiped out and they still go south to save westeros , only to be walled out again ... ?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Castle Black is in the middle of the wall, it wasn't attacked.

The wildlings wanted to go back out beyond the wall, nobody forced them. They only came south to escape the night king

justtxyank likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Did you ever see The Facts of Life? Magnum PI? Fantasy Island?

Y'all are so spoiled in the current era of TV. LOL

mikol13, BigM, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think they should leave the plastic water bottle in. At least we can take something away from this sh_t show ending...plastic is everywhere...even in the seventh kingdom. Bran actually saw it because we are actually living in the past and they are still cleaning up the plastic from our reign. Surprise ending....GoT is from the future. What is west of Westeros? The old United States...now kingdom of all the plastic.

GotGame15 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Since I know you all care, here's my detailed reaction to the finale and the show's ending. :p

The scene is broken down in my mind into 3 parts: The Kingsmoot and everything before and everything after.

Before Kingsmoot
    Was fine with everything before. Jon finally realizing what had to be done was good even if it took yet another "why do we allow visitation hours for death row inmates so often?" scene to get there. The death scene was good EXCEPT why was the queen totally unguarded? Suddenly they've made everyone stupid.

Kingsmoot
    This is the worst scene in the show's history. It was everything wrong with GoT this season wrapped up into 10 minutes. It was rushed, it lacked logic, characters were stupid, they wedged modern humor into it, they threw characters in without any details...it was just bad. Here's my step by step breakdown of why I hated it:

-Greyworm and the Unsullied (and let's assume the replenishing Dothraki) hold King's Landing. By virtue of that, they hold Tyrion and Jon Snow, both traitors they want to kill. Yet somehow it ends with both going free PEACEFULLY after Greyworm let's Tyrion (his prisoner that he wants to kill) nominate a king to decide his fate and Jon Snow's (the other prisoner he wants to kill!) and is totally cool with it when he nominates Jon's BROTHER. LOL just terrible. That alone would be terrible enough. The only tension in the scene was that Greyworm wasn't willing to surrender the prisoners so the solution he agrees to is letting one of the prisoners pick a new king that happens to be the brother of the prisoner he really hates. Then he just shrugs and accepts that he has no choice. Stupid.

-The nomination of Bran is really really stupid. This is an example of the writers wanting you to use outside sources to just fill in for their lack of writing. NOTHING that has occurred on the tv show should make anyone want Bran to be king. He's done nothing. He knows everything and hasn't used it to help anyone. His contribution to the big war against the dead was to tell them "He wants to kill me because I'm the memory." He made zero sense as a ruler they would agree to. To make it worse, Tyrion's speech nominating him was some of the stupidest stuff ever. Let's make him King because he has the best story? Really? That's all you got? Again, ON THE TV SHOW, his story is lame. We know how powerful he is, but his story is so interesting that he's barely been featured aside from creepy stare scenes in the last 3 years. It's really really terrible. We can write fan fiction about why he's the right choice and it can all make sense, but that is NOT what the show has given us. From a show only perspective, Bran was a terrible choice and there's no way everyone would have been ok with him.

-It only gets worse when everyone nods and agrees and then Sansa is all like "Yeah I know my brother and House Stark will now rule but nah, we the North and we're independent" and everyone is like "cool, cool." Seriously? The Iron Islands and Dorne are going to submit to rule by a boy they know nothing about who happens to be the brother of the man who murdered the queen they are allegedly still hung up on despite their own history of being fiercely independent but they're just like "Hey you do you girl" when Sansa declares independence? At that point Sansa should have realized that everyone was weak AF and just said "Oh and I'm taking Jon Snow with me and he gets to pick which one of your daughters he wants to take with him." Again, awful.

-The small stuff. I'll repeat this again, but seriously, it's annoying that they brought in a new Prince of Dorne and two other lords that they didn't even bother to name for us. It's annoying that they brought Robyn Arryn, the little crazy kid, and he just sits there and smirks and acts like a 2019 teenager laughing and stuff. Just ugh. Sam's little democracy moment that elicits the laugh track from the audience is again, just awful. Hate that forced comedy they've done this season. Just isn't clever at all.

All in all, this was just a god awful sequence for me. I cringed at it honestly.

Post Kingsmoot
    It's better after the Kingsmoot for me. I was cool with Arya's ending. I thought Jon riding North and reuninited with Ghost and Tormund to go back to the real North was beautifully done. Easily the best stuff they did this episode. Truly good writing to bring his character to an end. No complaints.

However, some small stuff complaints.
    -Bran and his sisters say goodbye to Jon and he has no Kingsguard. These people never learn or what? This is small stuff they didn't do wrong in the early seasons.
    -Brienne leaves Sansa to become Kingsguard for Bran? Doesn't make sense but whatever. She's terrible at her job though as he's walking the docks and she's not there. I guess her oath to Sansa is over.
    -The ending scene with the Small Council..just...cringe for me again. So vastly different than the serious tone of the show, they turned it into a Seinfeld scene. Old friends reunite and cracks sarcastic jokes and talk in third person as we fade to black. Just WTF.
    -Bran proves that him being king is the ultimate lol as instead of helping rule the Kingdom he's going to play Warginentdo 64.

mulletman, BigM, UTAllTheWay and 6 others like this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There wasn't one. Ending up on the small council made tons of sense, but that scene with Tyrion and Jamie was out of character for him and definitely felt forced just to include him somewhere.

They should have killed Greyworm, because he was never going to accept what happened, and that is the one part I feel they really butchered in the finale (I suppose along with letting Edmure Tully talk).

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It’s like building a huge base. Equipping it with a nice sized cannon, one you expect can shoot off quite a display of fireworks. Garnering the finest gunpowders. Carefully measuring the most spectacularly imagined boom. Unraveling the fuse...lighting it and running for cover. Surely, this will be one to remember!

And instead you get a whoopy cushion with a “bang” flag popping out and lots of confused guests.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pretty Much

What was the point of the Dire Wolves other than as a symbol or something

Rocket River

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Two lessons from this:

1) Don't name your child after a fictional character whose arc is not complete

2) Don't start a TV series after a set of novels that is not complete

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OR

2) Don't start a TV series after a set of novels that is not complete unless you hire good writers

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Those were all weekly and mostly non serialized. There are still a ton of crap shows like that on TV nowadays.

I guess should have specified when compared to it's modern serialized major cable brethren. Yes the standards have changed nowadays, but by any standard the writing this season was absolute garbage. The show went from Lord of the Rings to Transformers. Actual plot was just something they tolerated to create the ideal situations for their spectacle.

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

What I got from the kingsmoot is that the writers predicting that we will elect AI to rule over us.

Bran the bot, first of his name.

This season has really ruined the series to meh status.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not sure if it's really a lesson since they still made a ton of money from it.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm left wondering just how possible it was to actually wrap up the series in a single season. Let alone a truncated season.

I think the show might have been doomed when they declared season 8 was going to be it.

There's just so much crap that has to be accounted for in such a sprawling narrative.

Even great writers would have a hard time.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not to get too political, but look how many countries want to be in the EU. Clearly there is some truth to people wanting to give up their sovereignty.

#2117 tallanvor, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I have been heavily critical of the direction of writing for the past 3 seasons. But I think this statement is over the top. It's more jarring to us because of the change in quality of the series. It went from one of the best written shows that ever existed to mediocre and rushed. This season by itself is still better than the majority of what's on TV. We just had absurdly high expectations for the show given the precedent of excellence we were used to.

BigM, K mf G and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If greyworm kills Jon snow he would have started a war. One that probably results in the death of the unsullied. That's why no one wanted ned dead except joffery.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's exactly what it was. There was still too much ground to cover, and not enough episodes to cover it. If they were going the mad queen route the greatest writers in the world couldn't have done that in the time they had.

Reports are the HBO was willing to give the time they needed, and they declined. If that's the case than this clusterf**k is solely on them.

I said earlier I should have specified when compared to it's modern cable peers. There is still a ton of trash TV on, but I've never seen anything close to this lazy on any of the modern cable dramas I've watched. thrones had spectacle on it's side to the very end, but the writing was a disaster. I think the spectacle played a big part in the laziness of the writing.