1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weekend at Dany’s Is already in the works I hear.

superfob, BigM, cml750 and 8 others like this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

best explanation for why the season sucked (long read) comes from Scientific American:

It's not just bad storytelling—it’s because the storytelling style changed from sociological to psychological

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just read that multiple endings were shot so that nobody knew which end would be used. I can see the logic of that, but I suspect that it also contributed to having so many plot details dropped. In the penultimate episode, Varys seemed to be getting the word out on Jon’s heritage yet that never yielded anything. Why even include that scene? Daenerys and Jon are clearly estranged before the battle, and Daenerys clearly grasps the threat that Jon’s parentage and popularity poses to her yet she allows him into the throne room unaccompanied. Ultimately, Jon’s Targaryen roots played no part in his ending. Why even have that twist?

Everything felt rushed and I agree that the show runners clearly had move on mentally. It’s too bad they didn’t recognize the value in ending GoT properly - they would have been assured work for the rest of their lives (even if all subsequent work was subpar). Now they have to hit it out of the park with these new Star Wars movies or else they’ll be as employable as Kevin Spacey.

mikol13, mfastx and B-Bob like this.
  4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Breaking bad and the wire still 1 and 1a

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

This I can definitely agree on

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

absolutely.

BB got better EVERY season. It didn't have dragons and a ton of story lines to fall back on. The only thing that show had going for it was good writing and character development. Giligan did it right.

whag00, CheezeyBoy22 and Uprising like this.
  7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Pretty much on par with how the last few seasons have been. I was satisfied, and some elements I really loved, while other, finer plot points fell flat or just didn't make much sense. And the end result was almost exactly as I expected. The more I think I think about it though, the more I feel the ending was far more sweet than bitter. I liked that the Starks got a happy ending, but there were too many happy endings.

The Good: As always has been the case, the episode was filmed beautifully. Jon betraying and killing Dany was an intense moment. Seeing Sansa anointed Queen of the North. Ghost getting some love. Tyrion I felt had better dialogue, even though it didn't make much sense the council would be so willing to listen to him.

The Bad: The sense that, once again, the story felt rushed and plot developments from previous episodes got tossed. The plot holes. The happy endings to the point of pandering. The need to bring back all the major and supporting characters, even when it didn't make sense to do so because you spent no time developing them over the last few seasons. The ditching of the prophecies.

Perhaps it could have ended with Jon killing Dany, Greyworm killing Jon at the meeting and one of the Starks killing Greyworm. Then Jon returning to the North (in a box), to be buried north of the wall by Tormund and the Wildlings. Or maybe Jon being killed by the rulers of the kingdoms (despite Sansa's objections) because he has Targaryen blood and they felt (after what Dany and the Mad King before her did) they couldn't ever trust him. I imagine there's a lot of different ways the writers could have gone, and usually I feel that's a bad sign the story was disappointing. Again no problem with the conclusion of the major plot points, just the journey to get there.

Still enjoyed the show immensely though, and am sad that it's over.

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

That was lame as hell.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not done watching yet but... One nit-picky thing that bothers me is this:

How come what seems like tens of thousands of Dothraki riders seem to be able to hear Dany talk when they are all the way back there behind the Unsullied?

Guess this happens on TV/movies... somehow crowds just can hear public speeches in large venues without modern sound systems.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Uhhhhh, did 2 wars even happen? Sure is a lot of soldiers left just standing around.

Why is it snowing in Kings Landing now when it wasnt during the demolition?

Comedic relief while the biggest decision must be made.....? C'mon!

I called Bran being the one, a long time ago. I dont like it but whatever. "Why do you think I came all this way?" Weak....

Overall a pretty good last episode

Im gonna go back and watch the first seasons and remind myself of why this show was so good and not be mad at the final one and what couldve been.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually liked the ending of the Sopranos

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone see the last season of Entourage?
    This is what it reminds me of. The entourage ending happened during the big writers strike

Uprising likes this.
  13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Looked forward to and enjoyed every episode, start to finish. Legendary series. Bronn wins.

K mf G, BigM and Chamillionaire like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

New series "Arya Gone Wild" in the making.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The only thing in the episode that really bugged me was the way they just let Jon Snow talk to a captive Tyrion alone, and then allowed him to be alone with the Queen. Greyworm did a **** job taking care of security.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

At least it aligns with his stupidity and nativity throughout the show.

"Hey guys, just killed the queen, then the stupid dragon fried the throne and stole the corpse. Can I go now?"

BigM likes this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think it was ash from the city burning

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does everyone speak Valerian now?
    Tyrion . . Jon . . .Arya? How did they know what the f*ck she was saying?

Rocket River

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No, Tyrion simply asked Jon if her speech SOUNDED like she was done executing? Arya also said she knows a killer when she sees one. They had no clue what she said.

BigM likes this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bran is so creepy.

He stares creepy.

He smiles creepy.

His one liners are creepy.

Why would anyone make him a ruler?

I would have voted for Sansa's uncle.

Invisible Fan likes this.