1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gaining Weight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stone Cold Hakeem, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

A Little Background --

I used to be a pretty big guy in high school -- around 190, 200 pounds, mostly fat. After getting into lifting my senior year, I managed to turn most of it into muscle, wavering around 180, 185 for the bulk of my college career, probably 13-14% body fat.

However, after moving into my apartment and away from the local convience of the campus convience food store and Wendy's and what not, I lost wieght, fast -- like I'm down to 155-160 and its starting to affect my lifting.

In a day, I'll typically eat like eggs for breakfast, maybe grab a sandwich for lunch, and then some kind of meat for dinner -- usually pork chops or beef ribs or anything I can throw on the grill.

So my question is: what's the best way to put weight, preferably sans the fat?

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Increase your food quantity. Introduce an extra meal into your current schedule.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I had a problem in gaining weight. I'm 28 now but for years I weighed only 155 lbs despite being close to 6'3". My problem was a very high metabolism. I used to drink 6 Mellow Yellows a day and my diet has never been the best. However, in the last year or so, I've seen my weight go up to 175 lbs and even 180 although it's back down to 175. One thing that I have done and I don't know if it's the cause or it's just me getting old, but I drink or try to drink 4 bottles of water a day. I really believe in drinking as much as water as possible. Whether or not this has slowed down my metabolism, I really don't know.

I have never gotten into lifting weights, but I would suggest besides drinking as much water as possible to try to eat a "carb" diet (one loaded with carbohydrates like pasta and spaghetti) and maybe take some of those muscle building things you can get at GNC like creatine. Good luck--it's frustrating to not be able to put on the pounds.

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I'd love to have the ability to NOT put on weight!

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

RichRocket - <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21484">go here</a>.

6. red

red Contributing Member

i cant get tthe weight off. i just joined the ymca here in seattle to help...

ps drinking water will increase you metabolism...

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Thanks, Clutch!

I read somewhere this week that you should divide your body weight poundage in two and drink that many ounces of water.
    Whoa!

So a 200 pound person should intake 100 ounces of water each day-- including water-in-food, etc.

And you say it will INCREASE my metabolism.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Once you move past age 35, gaining weight will not be a problem...trust me on this! I know.

9. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I smell food and gain 2 pounds

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The best way to put on weight has to be simple--drink beer!

"Surprised you didn't know that." --Tommy Callahan

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Chocolate, chips, fried foods, ice cream, pasta, dairy products, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, beer, soda, and fast food. Eat plenty of this, and you will gain weight.

Did I mention that I am on a no chocolate, chips, fried foods, ice cream, pasta, dairy products, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, beer, soda, or fast food diet?

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

In January I used to weighed around 132 lbs. I always worked out hard, but skipped breakfast, ate a really small lunch and then at dinner. It seemed like I just could not move up in weights when working out. I also used to play basketball alot and sometimes would work out for 2.5 hrs. Then someone told me to eat five times a day, workout only for about 45 min and not play basketball that much. Now I weigh right around 160.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

No doubt! Can we switch metabolisms?

14. hitman21

hitman21 Member

You know where the weight room is? I'll check it out.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

LOL! Good old Farley!

"Uggh. I can actually hear you getting fatter..."