1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fry's Electronics: Like em or not?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Aug 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Their selection and prices are often unbeatable.

They suck on:
    1) Computer components
    Be prepared to return parts. They had a rep for restocking returned (faulty) parts until someone doesn't return them.

2) Their service sucks. Though the checkouts have improved (in California it used to take as much as 15-20 minutes once you got to the teller).

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The building I've seen is the new Fry's....it gonna be a big one!

I was wondering why the building didn't face the freeway......now I know:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/space/2743055

3. synergy

synergy Member

I dont think it will diminish sales at Axiontech or Directron. Both stores have cult following from people I know. I still dont think Fry's can beat them on prices on computer related items.

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Fry's has great sales, but other than that I skip them. For computer parts, Axion, Directron, and newegg have better prices. For electronics bits, EPO has a better selection, plus knowledgable sales people.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

EPO on Fondren @ Richmond?

Is Sam still there?

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I love Fry's, I can't wait for the 59 and Beltway store to open. The one on I45 is just too damn far from where I live while in Houston. The new store being built is going to be perfect location wise for me, since I am in the Memorial area.

7. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Hell yeahs man! The Beltway/59 Location is like right up the street from me. About a mile maybe. FUDDDGE YEAH!

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Damn, I had no idea that big building on 45 was going to be a Fry's. Place is already huge.

Didn't know about that construction coming, either. Guess it'll be a good thing when finished...but man, I live right near Camino Real. Hope things won't be too congested. :(

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I do use Fry's for computer parts...and since I know what Im doing and what Im looking for, I have no problems.

The problem occurs when you dont know alot about computer components and have to depend on their idiot salesmen to help you....bad idea...I have yet to meet a Fry's salesgeek that actually knew his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

and also....that is confirmed, they do restock bad parts...after the first time it happened to me, I only grab the parts that dont look rewrapped...its the only safe way and I havent had a problem since I started keeping an eye out for rewrapped items.

the prices arent bad, online is cheaper, but then you have to wait....

New store going up near Webster? Cool....I can get to Webster a lot quicker than I can get to the one on 45N.

Im happy about that..:)