1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From the Delta Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slcrocket, Apr 10, 2001.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Well, I think I'll briefly speak on the horrific display tonight at the hell of all hells, the Delta Center.

By the way, did anybody else make it tonight? Achebe, any luck with the scalpers? I did see ONE Houston fan there, and I'm sorry if it was any of you, but the guy was a ****ing moron.

OK--I was MORE than a little upset with a few of the calls...as has been mentioned in other threads, the offensive foul on Mooch with Flopton's Flop was ridiculous. I WILL say that I was pleased as HELL that Kenny was arguing to get that tech. What the hell is he supposed to when Karla is throwing him all over the place for position until he's right next to the basket? That was a joke.

The Jazzholes had the Warriors mascot at the game as, I found out from him, he's a good friend of whoever BEAR is (God I hate that bear... [​IMG] But he came up right in the stands and sat DIRECTLY behind me for a second. It was in the second quarter, and the Jazzholes made some good play or something, and I didn't clap, so he tapped me on the shoulder and wondered why I wasn't clapping. Then he said "Why aren't you cheering for the Jazz?" And so I told him that I don't like teams that suck. So he asked me who I was cheering for, and I just showed him my Rockets practice jersey, upon which he grabbed me and yelled for everyone "We've got a ROCKETS fan here!!!" So I stood up and waived and took a bow amidst many boos...good old Jazz fans.

But I actually got the chance to talk to him during the game, and I figured I'd ask him about Golden State, since I didn't really want to bring the Houston/Utah thing up again. He was QUITE knowledgable about the team, and knew several players personally, or at least that's what he said. I told him that Marc Jackson was going to be in Houston next year [​IMG], and he told me that Marc KNOWS how interested the league is in him...nothing more than you could get out of the paper, mind you, but interesting conversation, nonetheless. I suggested a Walt Williams for Antawn Jamison trade, but he wasn't too keen on the idea. He also said that he thinks Jamison will (forgive the pun) bolt after his contract is up after next season, but, once again, that's probably just common sense. But he was an interesting guy to talk to for a bit.

The Jazzhole fans sitting immediately around me were in a big group, and the ringleader was sitting next to me. We got to talking, and he and his little group were REALLY down with Langhi...apparently his performance in the Revue made him some fans even among fanzzzz. Guy turned out to be a real *******, but was pretty pleasant and did nothing but COMPLIMENT Houston (you know, they're all afraid of the Houston fan [​IMG]).

Now--about the game--Steve played a ridiculously good game. Mobley couldn't get ANYTHING going, and, while it pains me to say this, I think Russell did as good a job guarding him as anyone can. I noticed a real problem that when we're going up for boards, we seem to have a REALLY hard time holding on to the ball, instead of just tapping it every which way. I understand sometimes you CAN'T grab the ball, but sometimes you CAN, and we didn't often.

I would have liked to see Carlos earlier in the game than the last few minutes...we were a little thin down low, and Malone, Marshall, and Manning all were doing pretty decently offensively. I was really surprised...Shandon looked really flustered. I was close enough that you could see the facial expressions and all...he was pissed about EVERYTHING. Normally he lights Utah up...but tonight he was flat, and so was our entire team in the third quarter.

I was surprised to see Langhi play as many minutes as he did, but I liked what I saw, for the most part. He's still a rookie, there's no doubt about it--but there's some good raw talent there. Plus, his jumping ability and height make him a hard guy to block...he was a good pick, IMHO.

Well, to top things off, I got Silly-stringed as the buzzer sounded by some little kids...but what was I supposed to do? I was there with a girl and they're just little kids...dammit I hate that team. [​IMG]

Very frustrating...and if there WAS any doubt, there isn't now. We're NOT going to the playoffs. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

[This message has been edited by slcrocket (edited April 10, 2001).]

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Good post. I'm sorry you had to go through such an awful game in enemy territory. I'm probably going to make the trip to Portland to witness the Rockets take on the Blazers. I can only hope that they will play a more inspiring road game.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

slcrocket, I was there... but you miscounted, there were hundreds of Rockets fans in the house.

Where were you sitting? I was stoked: I had the construction worker mullet tandem yelling crap non stop in the back of my ear for a few consecutive plays... at which point I finally freaked out when Bullard hit that three in the 2nd (just to be an *******). It was great, just because the crowd was totally silent when I spazzed. Might I have been the ****ing moron that you refer to?

I was sitting in the 8th row, section 9 (J). I was above the Rockets' portal, on the visitor's bench side... just askew of the backboard... wearing green cargoes and a blue hoodie.

A couple of random thoughts:

I got inside a bit before 6:00 mtn, and Langhi and Bullard, and to a lesser extent Colson were shooting forever with Boylen and the baby face asst. coach.

I was impressed with Langhi, Dream's and Steve's patience at the portal. Langhi was swamped by about 8 or 9 kids (half an hour before the game) and he signed all of the autographs. Next, Steve went back in and got overwhelmed by 20-25 kids... and he signed them all!!. I'm so impressed w/ this guy. I could see a bit into the portal, and he was signing them all of the way in. Dream came up and got begs as well, but he seemed to stop around 10 (the only sane thing to do, probably). Cuttino also tried to be a bit more sparing with his time.

I still can't believe Steve's patience.

The game was okay, but Rudy certainly had lost interest in winning the game when he subbed Langhi in. I thought that Cato played pretty well, but he and Thomas were taken out of the game by the refs. Oh yeah, and the fact that Cato couldn't hold onto the ball a few times in a row.

The Rockets seemed alot more competitive on the glass in the first half... I don't know for sure b/c this year they seem to not be giving out half court stats in the lower bowl. The Rockets always had their hands on the ball, but they just tipped a few times too many.

Remember when Thomas got another foul (perhaps the T time), Rudy subbed Langhi instead of Los? Los just shrugged his shoulders and looked super upset... he walked into the portal, and I just felt bad for the guy. Los is a warrior. It sucks that Rudy doesn't give him more minutes (at this point in the season, I know the 3 spot is the position that he's concerned about... as well as developing Langhi).

Cato does pout, he even went so far as to get in an argument with a guy just a little more courtside in my same row. The punk kid kept making crying gestures to Cato, at which point Cato was yelling at him to **** off. This went on for a few minutes before somebody on the bench told Cato to shut up. Funny enough, when the game was decided, Cato gave a security guard his arm band and told him to take it to the kid that he'd been yelling at.

It's insulting that Cato sits on the same bench with Dream, but perhaps if Dream is around next year, Cato will be okay. Dream seemed to try to calm Cato alot.

The crowd was being ruthless to Shandon. What a bunch of dorks.

Oh yeah, does Sean Colson eat food? The guy made John Stockton look like Atlas.

------------------
    It only costs $180.00 to have a couple of mullets yell in your ear.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited April 10, 2001).]

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Dream - "Kelvin, you really need to FOCKASS."

Moochie - "Awww, he's just a $42 million whiner."

Cato - "Shut up, hair boy!"

Seriously, that bit about Carlos being upset is a little worrisome. I'd like to see him back next year, but more importantly, I'd like to see Rudy use him. Even though we can gain a couple more million in cap, Carlos earns (or would earn) every penny he's paid, if given the chance. Oeilpere did say Rudy was high on Carlos and wants to keep him, but it certainly doesn't explain why he doesn't get minutes. I mean, okay, he wants to give Langhi court time to develop, but what about Bullard? Let Los go out there and make an impact. Maybe Rudy doesn't want to see Carlos re-injure himself.

------------------

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Damn, Achebe, are you SERIOUS? I didn't see hardly ANY Rockets fans in the building...no, I SERIOUSLY doubt you were the fool I saw at the game...this guy, upon receiving a little criticism from the fans, decided he would clap for BOTH teams. Someone who loves Houston but can tolerate Utah...not a real fan. [​IMG]

You were a WAYS away from me...I was in section 26, probably STRAIGHT across the stadium from you...but, probably because of where I was sitting, I didn't get to see Carlos' reaction or anything that you described.

Did you see the couple of plays (I believe it was in the second or third quarter) where Cato was just LOSING it and b****ing to the refs? I saw SEVERAL instances where the particular ref was JUST about to call the T but thought better of it...while I love ANY Rocket, he WAS being a crybaby...

Couldn't agree more about Carlos. He brings hustle and heart to the floor, and in that third quarter those were BOTH lacking. Like you said, I know Rudy wants to develop Dan, but I don't think he should have TOTALLY neglected other options. I'm wondering if I WANT Cato back next year, because I'm so damn frustrated right now with Rudy not using him that it's almost like he's not on the team anyways.

On a completely unrelated note, Achebe--did you see Dream draining threes during the pre-game shootaround around 6 o'clock? The guy nailed like 8 from the corner in a row...not to mention, Carlos was even shooting perimeter jumpers, but with FAR less success... [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Oh yeah! I was amazed by Dream nailing the threes!

Did you come over to the portal, btw? You mentioned something about a silver coat in the other thread and I remember a guy wearing a silver puffy coat w/ his head shaved... was that you?

------------------
    It only costs $180.00 to have a couple of mullets yell in your ear.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Nice look

didn't know Puffy Coombs was a rockets fan

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

slrocket...

I can't figure it out. I don't see the pun?

"He also said that he thinks Jamison will (forgive the pun) bolt after his contract is up..."

------------------

9. Band Geek Mobster

[​IMG]

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Beat me to it BGM
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited April 10, 2001).]

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I see....thanks

------------------