1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[From GARM with love] China v. GM Daryl Morey’s personal views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 6, 2019.

1. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea it's your side sure I get that, stick to it, good for u.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Chinese posters for the most part, post whatever Xi wants them to. They don't have any free speech, or free thought or debate for that matter. If they posted anything other than the party line they could be arrested or might disappear. So whatever they post is the equivalent GOP talking point; like our entire internet was just GOP talking points. They have no basis in reality.

No Worries and calurker like this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I notice the striking lack of unfamiliar usernames and broken English in the D&D versions of the Daryl Morey threads.

Is it possible that by necessity this is discussed in the GARM because The Great Firewall prevents access to the D&D from the mainland?

Honest question/supposition. Dont have first hand experience with what China will or won't allow access to.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or they just have the striking good sense not to go near the D&D

B-Bob likes this.
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

You either have mental problem or are living in 50 years ago.

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I got mass reported by China and now my Twitter account is suspended.

Nook and KingLeoric like this.
  7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

You must be from the future because it's still happening right now:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/video-terrorist-10072019154204.html
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...der-cybersecurity-laws-chat-group-threats-and
    https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news...-over-criticism-of-the-ruling-communist-party

For your sake, I hope you are living in the great Communist paradise of PRC.

Nook likes this.
  8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You have nice day now

Nook likes this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If only we were all so sensible.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

11. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

As someone living outside of China and gets to see how both sides are covering the events in Hong Kong, it is amazing how selective reporting of truth can shape and reinforce one's view on issues. On the US side, every report is basically Hong Kong residents fighting for their human rights and getting oppressed by the big bad Chinese authoritarian government and their corrupt police henchmen, with basically no mention of the massive scale of vandalizing, harassing, trashing, fire bombing, looting etc that's going on. If anything goes bad, it's the residents desperately fighting for their freedom. On the Chinese side you can imagine that anything bad the protester did got magnified 10 times, basically the traitor mobs spreading chaos and begging their American daddy or Britain mommy to come to their rescue and take them back as colonial subjects.

The truth is that the socio-economical problems on the ground in Hong Kong is incredibly complex, growing income inequality, pressure from the rise of mainland China that somewhat diminished Hong Kong's role in global economy, actual and perceived broken promises from the Chinese government, and also long running and wide spread distaste and frankly discrimination against mainlanders that got exacerbated by the growing number of mainland visitors and their growing wealth, and this is the perfect storm for all hell to break loose. These are stuff that certainly can not be covered by 1000-word articles or 280-character wisdoms. And yet with about 7 seconds of attention spans, neither side bothers to actually understand, and instead just live in their bubble that gets reinforced by every single headline they even bothered to skim over.

I'm not trying to resort to bothsideism. Chinese government royally f*cked this up and miscalculated on the initial public extradition law. But as the whole thing drags on and descend into chaos, many of those you guys perceive as freedom fighters become nothing more than an angry mob taking their deeply rooted frustrations out on anything and everything they can get away with (and all those masks definitely help with the latter). At this point nobody knows what would happen next, it's such a shame that a city once known as "pearl of the east" gets destroyed like this.

And please spare your "BUT MUH FREEDOM" takes. Go around and ask citizens in the Arab Spring countries and see how things have worked out for them.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is a well stated and nuanced response. I think the NYT Daily podcast has done a good job of covering the varying opinions and facts on the ground, including the property destruction.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

but I am living in the US since last century .... I for one don't give a crap to any authority, either CCP or FBI. I post for fun. too bad I dont find anything even remotely close to paradise in both countries.

"Chinese posters for the most part, post whatever Xi wants them to. They don't have any free speech...." ... Your brain has to have some physical damage to make such absurd assumption. The brainwash is strong in the US, but still, it was just sick.

14. TheresTheDagger

Forgive me if already posted, but I find the translation of the NBA's message to Chinese fans VERY different from the english version they put out. They REALLY threw Morey under the bus over there.

NBA league office bloodsuckers.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Here’s a test — repeat after me: I, WNBA, think Xi Jinping the pig head is a Chinese bun stuffed with rotten cured meat.

Here, I’ll do the same: I, Calurker, think Trump the Dotard is a lying scumbag who should be impeached.

Go ahead. I’ll wait.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

China gets its feefees hurt by one tweet? Imagine if the POTUS tweeted random crap at them and then started a trade war and then tweeted some more and then ...

17. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Bye bye and take your commie ass back to your commie land. As an American, a veteran and a patriot, I’m thoroughly pissed off at the way we bow down to the all mighty ChiCom dollar. This land is special for a reason that its citizens are free to speak their minds without any repercussions from its government, we will never succeed trying to convince these commies that our ways of life are better than theirs. I’m glad that this incident with Morey happened, this is a great moment for us to unite and stand for something other than just the mighty dollar, give me liberty or give me death is still something that I believe in and I know a lot of you on this forum felt the same way.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am happy with your respectful manner of posting. Even though I might disagree about there needing to be no business done because of the tweet, I applaud the way you posted and didn't attack people on the other side.

dobro1229, KingLeoric and B-Bob like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Morey must have gone into hiding.

Can't really blame him.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know how precise Chinese-to-English translations are. "Disappointed" could mean different things in different contexts. I'm sure the Chinese version tilted to being more empathetic towards how they view this. But to say the NBA threw Morey under the bus is misleading. They could have come down on him pretty hard -- and many were mistakenly predicting them to do so. That didn't happen.