1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From China with love, My two cents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bob718, Oct 9, 2019.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

For people who don’t care to read a long post:

I'm from China, been a NBA fan for 2 decades. I respect Daryl Morey’s right of free speech, also I respect the holiness of national integrity in Chinese culture. I believe neither side is trying to hurt the other but they are both misunderstood. Americans need to stop assuming their core values are the universal truth, and any nationals who disagree must be brainwashed; Chinese citizens need to grow more confidence in themselves and not overreact.

—————

When Yao was drafted by the Rockets in 2002, I had already been a NBA fan for 3 years. NBA was and is very popular among many Chinese universities, and I have watched quite a lot of games and mixtapes with my roomates and friends. NBA players were like superheroes to me, seemingly capable of doing anything on the basketball court. My favorite player was Allen Iverson at the time.

Then Yao came to the league, I didn’t like his style at first, not so fast and he can’t do crossovers. I rooted for him anyway; he was representing my country. Shortly after I began to appreciate his humor, work ethic and humble attitude, also Francis and Mobley’s fearless play style were really exciting to watch. To read more news and analysis about Yao and his teammates, I did a little research and found clutchfans.net. I was at my 20s at the time, and being single, had lots of time to spend on the forum. I don’t post much but read a lot. Rockets became my obsesson. I could name not only all the players on the roster, but also the assistant coaches, the team doctors, the spoke person, etc. As years went on, I got married , have 2 children now, and have to work hard to pay the mortgage, so I don’t watch games as often as in the past. There are many Chinese reporters hosted at Houston to provide latest news. I stopped visiting this forum as well, but I have kept rooting and cheering for rox players like T-mac, Battier, Lin, Parsons, Harden, Gordon as always, and hated Kobe and Lebron, just like most local rox fans do.

When I first read DM’s tweet that went viral on china’s social media, my thought was his account must be hacked. How can Daryl Morey, a smart, diligent professional, one of the best GMs in the league, do something so unthoughtful business-wise? Many Chinese fans were furious, suspecting he is either arrogant or ill intentioned to facilitate social unrest on China’s land. After Morey reiterated his opinion, I felt disappointed. He is not morally wrong. Actually after all this is past I may admire him more as a person since he has the courage to put financial aspects aside just to voice his sympathy and support for some people far away in a foreign country. But as a professional manager, faced with a significant size of the rox fanbase in China and many endorsement deals from China companies, he should know better. Perhaps he didn’t take time to learn the core values in Chinese culture, or he does but believes US’ core values is the universal truth. Either way, he showed poor judgement, by not anticipating such a huge backlash.

I do not believe there is such values that are universal truth. I think it changes with time and circumstances. Like <Tao Te Ching> says, a truth that can be described is not the universal truth. To compare modern day America to China is like to compare ancient Greece to Rome, you are sailors at heart, we are landsman; you may think freedom is bigger than life, we do not. Different environments do foster different values. China grew from a single organism and was assembled by territorial conquest, the pattern of its development makes unity and cohesion two of the fundamental core values of Chinese society, because that’s what helps China as a nation survive. Besides, in America’s 200 years history, the country was only divided once. It reunited with the civil war and more than 600 thousand people died. In the 4000 years history of China, there were dozens of times the country was divided, it reunited with wars each time and millions of people died. The deep fear for national division are deeply embedded in Chinese people’s memories. Our attachment to land and stability make us feel great responsibility and devotion to family and country. Please do take notice that when we hold such values as sacred, we are not brainwashed. By the way, I am not a member of CCP, and had never intended to become one. When Morey was exercising his right to voice his opinion on anything he may or may not understand about, he can be challenging other people’s fundamental values without realizing it. Just because a opinion is genuinely from one’s heart does not automatically makes it a truth. He should have a little research before posting the tweet. The protests in HK started as peaceful, but had already turned violent, with some mobs burning subway stations, and waving flags claiming for independence. Morey’s tweet, to many who were agitated, seemed like he was supporting their calls for separation. I believe Morey was out of good intention, he never meant to cause social unrest on a foreign land, but he was misunderstood in China.

Later, Chinese people voiced their frustration, loud, but too got misunderstood in America. They were saying “Respect us, let us have sovereignty; or get out and shut the door!”, but Americans see it as a manipulation to make NBA bend for financial interest. In China’s culture, Confucius; saying goes, “don’t cooperate with people whose’s philosophy are very different from yours.” There is another saying goes “respect them but keep a far distance”. All the angry boycott are not meant to make NBA bend their principles to accommodate our wish. If we are really that confident in our ability to do so, we wouldn’t even feel so offended in the first place. This is a country who just experienced 100 years of humiliation and was once been seen as an inferior race on the world stage, its confidence in itself is fragile and needs time to grow.

There are more that could be said, like why Chinese don’t separate Morey from the Rockets. But I hope not to keep going on and on. Just one simple fact, In China, when you introduce DM, it would be “Houston Rockets’ Daryl Morey”, while in America, it would be “Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets”. You see, we tend to put the Houston Rockets first.

My real feeling right now is sad. Not furious at all, just sad. When I was about 20 years old, I believed with the help of internet and by we all learning the English language, the world would one day become like a village. People live far away in different parts of the planet, can still talk to each other on a daily basis; we learn from each other, know each other better. People could have friends all over the world. There would be less misunderstanding, less antagonism between nations’ citizens. I worked hard to learn English, so to live in that village. Now I am close to 40, seeing the trade wars going on, nations viewing each other as competitors rather than partners, even Britain is desperate to leave the EU, still so much barriers and mess in this world just as 20 years ago. I wish that peaceful world village will come true, but I am no longer sure I can live long enough to see it happen.

#1 bob718, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sorry you're going through this clash of ideologies but you have to remember that discourse and debate makes people stronger. Shutting out people you disagree with creates tribalism as you see in our politics now. I hope you understand that Americans don't hate the Chinese people but it should concern you that your government FORCES you to comply instead of giving you the freedom to choose. You may have enjoyed the prosperity your family has seen in the last 40 years but it's because of the PEOPLE not the government.

I hope your people see that if not for the people of china the government would be nothing. We Americans know when our country makes mistakes. We try to correct them and make a mends but we don't ignore them for the sake of nationalism.

3. adoo

adoo Member

post more

jcf likes this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Thanks for posting and giving your point of view.

I would say Americans have no problem if Chinese are upset about what Morey tweeted. If Chinese want to protest and boycott NBA games then Americans would support their rights 100%. Free speech in America is a core value to freedom but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for free speech, it just means the government is not allowed to restrict that free speech.

On a secondary level, it's bewildering that the Chinese government would behave in such a childish manner as to believe a basketball GM's tweet threatens their territorial sovereignty. Americans would find that notion ridiculous. If the Chinese government had simply released a statement denouncing what he said, it would be the end of it. When the government tries to intimidate and threaten a business because of what someone said then you're creating an unnecessary problem. Morey's miscalculated the impact of his tweet but the Chinese government is far overplaying its hand.

RayRay10 and ryan_98 like this.
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

It started from the Chinese basketball fans, the internet mob who are angered by the scenes of the burning HK and fellow Chinese beaten up by the rioters.

Then Chinese companies and celebrities followed the fans and cut ties with NBA ... they had to or the anger will be directed to them

The last, CBA came in and announced cancellations. It is all lower level of reactions.

The Chinese government have not issued any statement yet. I expect they won't because NBA is just an imported entertainment, too light weight.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL You're such an awful poster. Good reminder to put you on ignore. I have to wonder what it is that you think you get out of constantly trolling the D&D.

Nook likes this.
  7. WNBA

WNBA Member

I simply pointed out that you were wrong. If you cannot take it, yeah, the ignore button definitely can make you secure. plz use it, thanks.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good post, but the TRUTH is that you guys have censored information, while we may have biased info at least we get all of it so we can make an informed decision.

DD

9. Nook

Nook Member

He really is. He has to try really hard to be that bad.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I appreciate the post and perspective.

I don’t think their is anything wrong with what Daryl Morey posted. He gave his personal opinion. He didn’t give the opinion of the Houston Rockets or the NBA.

China likes to cover a lot of things up. When they do something controversial or wrong the response is to get angry at anyone that brings it to light or wants to discuss it.

Concerning sovereignty... that is all good until you have large groups of people that have no interest in being part of China. That can include areas where 2,000,000 Muslims are in concentration camps or Taiwan or what is emerging in Hong Kong. China is made up of many different cultures some of which do not want to be part of China. Forcing them into rulership they do not want is not right.

Unfortunately that isn’t a divide that the West will ever believe takes precedence over self determination. Other than dictatorships like North Korea and Russia, there won’t be much world support either.

Having said all of that there are a number of Chinese people I love and think quite highly of. People can have disagreements and still care for one another.

What I can tell you is that Daryl Morey never set out to find a way to hurt China or punish China. His post had to do with having friends in Hong Kong that wanted some degree of self determination. I think he clearly still does support the protests in Hong Kong.... but that doesn’t mean he dislikes China, just doesn’t agree with them on this issue.

RayRay10 and ryan_98 like this.
  11. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

When you marry the crazy but hot girl, you shouldn't be surprised they do crazy things. She's not going to change. You knew this would happen in the beginning. It's been 30 years. You got kids (ie $$$$$) now. What do you want now ? A divorce ?

Like in any marriage, you got to pick your battles. You seriously want to pick a battle over one little tweet ? The more you push US companies the less they will want to invest in China

12. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Yeah right. The one thing I know about companies is they only care about money ($$$$). So I doubt they will try to end a relationship like this over a tweet. Most of them won't move unless they get the government silent or vocal approval . The cynic in me knows this is pushed by the Chinese government. They control the media so they control the message. What you said probably has been pushed out over the China news over and over again about this is about national sovernity. We need to go to the wall over one tweet. They do this ALL the time. Pushing a particular message to get the Chinese people all riled up when they want a particular reaction. (ie Japan, South Korea etc) . If they don't want something to get out they will use their firewall to filter it out.. People (companies) in China don't even give interviews without approval because they're afraid to stick their necks out. (ie I don't blame them.. I would too if I lived there)

Also this is really a great message for Taiwan when China proposes to them the same One Country, Two Systems bit. All HK wanted was universal suffage, be the bigger person and let it go and keep it moving.